Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
95 Maxima Issues.... Forums > > 95 Maxima Issues.... 95 Maxima Issues....
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 07-12-2008, 06:12 PM
rev2213

Exclamation 95 Maxima Issues....

I have a 1995 Maxima, with almost 180k miles on him. Bought in November of last year, had no problems, then an O2 sensor ,crankshaft posistion sensor, and coolant temp sensor all went out. Replaced them all, and he ran fine.

I soon started to notice a slight rattle when i started up, but seconds after start, the rattle went away. I first assumed a lifter knock, but that was not it. After awhile the sound would simply come and go at random, did not think much of it. Soon it started to get progressivly worse. Alot worse! The rattle would be extremly loud at start-up, and then would calm down after a minute or two. But at around 2k RPMs it would get louder again. Now, this rattle happens ALL the time. Figured out its somewhere in the Timing Chain case.... but not sure if its a tensioner or not. I went to the dealer and asked about it. He said a tensioner was going bad and causing the chain to slack and hit to top(Im not an idiot). He said he has the same prob on his 96 Max, but just lets it go, says it sounds worse than it really is. Im not up for that.

I started to take it all apart, looked at the tensioner(while chain cover still on, just took the little black cover off) and it seemed to work fine, no proplems. After more work, come to find out, after a few hours of trying. That i could not get the crankshaft pulley bolt off, simply because i did not have the tools to do it. I checked of nicks or teeth missing on the signal wheel, none that i could tell. Put everything back, and started up. Now the rattle is much worse and the car will hardly move! Ugh, now im pissed. CEL came on, and gave me P1336(Camshaft POS), checked all connections and all was good. So what must have happened to cause the comp to give me this code? And most importantly, what should i do about the rattle? I dont have the money to take it to the dealer, and i CAN get the tools to do it myself, but, im a workin man, and i HAVE to have a car. So anything temporary that will get me to a place to fix it or something?

Thanks for reading my bloody long explination. Any help is much appretiated.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:00 PM
rev2213

Well, figured out the problem. Its the signalwheel. We chipped a few teeth trying to get the crankshaft pulley off. Guess i shoule have just left it alone.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

so does it still rattle

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 07-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev2213 View Post
Well, figured out the problem. Its the signalwheel. We chipped a few teeth trying to get the crankshaft pulley off. Guess i shoule have just left it alone.
Thanks for letting us know. I read the post yesterday but I couldn't come out with a solution. I'm glad you find it.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 PM
rev2213

Yes, it still rattles. Not sure if the is a tensioner or not yet. Very frustrating. Low on cash.
To take it to the dealer will cost around 1 grand. just for the signal plate(flywheel), and the timing chain would cost another grand or more. haha, guess i have my work cut out for me :/
Old 07-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

try to look around some forums like maxima.org in the classifides section or post that u need one(wtb), also local forums and the local forum on maxima.org to see if anyone has a spare part for u or can maybe help u out with fixing it. i would try maybe a junk yard to see if they have it just for the time being until u get enough money for a new one. but keep us posted good luck

Tags
issues, maxima