Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
brake and battery lights stay on Forums > > brake and battery lights stay on brake and battery lights stay on
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 AM
Anonymous

Default brake and battery lights stay on

I just had my alternator replaced by the nissan dealer and i still have the problem of my brake and battery lights staying on. This is the same thing that happened right before i had the alternator replaced. What could be causing this now?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Check the alternator fuse, if the fuse is blown the alternator will not charge, and the light will be on. Also check if the connector is properly secure to the alternator.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Anonymous

Default again

I had the nissan dealer look at it again and now there saying that the headlight connectors are faulty and causing this problem with my charging system. They didn't seem to concerned about fixing it as the parts had to be ordered and told me maybe i could have someone else put them on. I really don't think these people know what there doing. Somebody help!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Very unlikely. If there is bad connection the headlight will no operate, and no operation means any consumption of power.

Sometimes a nonfactory headlight bulb (with higher wattage) is installed; in this case the wires will overheat and will melt the wire cover, and consequently blowing the headlight fuse.

Now if there is something that is draining the battery, the alternator should recharge the battery without any incidents (no warning lights) when engine is running.

If they already replaced the alternator, assuming the battery is good condition (first thing that should be check) and all the fuses are OK (battery and alternator fuse), the most likely cause of the problem is a bad alternator connector or an open circuit (wire Y/B yellow/black).

Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 AM
russ

I also have the problem with the brake light on, also the alternator light on. It came and went but now its staying on. 2001 maxima. sounds like a wiring problem in the harness
Old 01-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
2012 GTR
2004 s/c 4x4 frontier

99% of the time the alternator causes this problem. have the alternator tested and i bet they find excess diode ripple or low charging voltage.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:43 PM
sunshinekid427

Default 2001 Maxima Brake & Battery Lights

I had the problem in fall where both lights would come on and stay on. Finally the car died and I had the battery replaced. Now it's doing it again and stalled yet again.

If I'm reading other threads correctly, I should take it in and have the alternator checked. Isn't that something the service department typically looks at when a car comes in with those two lights on consistently?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:56 PM
FN323

Had the same problem on a 2000 Max. It was the alternator.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thanks you for letting us know FN323!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:20 AM
josh1978

Turned out to be another bad alternator. Car has run fine since with the exception of the service engine soon light being on. Dealer told me it was bad O2 sensors...front two i believe. I've still been avg. 25-26 mpg so i'm not going to replace them. Thanks everyone for helping out!
Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

trust me when i say, REPLACE THE ALT... use midtronic battery tester and re-test your voltage output. have a nice day.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:36 AM
josh1978

Default hmm

Thanks, but that was 3 years ago. I've since got rid of that piece of shit maxima and purchased a new nissan rogue.

Tags
battery, brake, lights, stay