Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Maxima clutch replacement Forums > > 2000 Maxima clutch replacement 2000 Maxima clutch replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 03-22-2008, 04:55 PM
joelqburdett

Question 2000 Maxima clutch replacement

Does anyone have a good reference for clutch replacement in a 2000 Maxima with a 5 speed? Is there a Haynes or Chilton's manual that you would recommend and know has a good reference for this procedure? I have a clutch that is gone (128k miles, driven hard by me and my 16 year old daughter.) I have added fluid and bleed the slave cylinder without success. I would prefer attempting this myself if at all possible. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:15 PM
2015 Rogue

This site has some good pics
motorvate.ca v2.0 - *THE* DIY Maxima Website
Maxima Clutch Replacement

Sooner or later you will have to replace the clutch on your Maxima. Since I was removing my transmission to replace a bearing, I decided to change my clutch. It had 145,000* Km on it and it still worked well, but since I had the transmission out, I could not resist. *The clutch was changed at 50,000 Km under warranty, for a noise.

Left: First you must remove the transmission. Then you will see your clutch as above.
(make sure to support the engine, as it only has only one engine mount holding it)
Right: The old clutch has been removed, and the flywheel has been lightly hand sanded with 180 grit sandpaper to remove any foreign material that may be on the flywheel.

Middle: Close up of the old pressure plate where the throw out bearing pushed on the diaphragm. The groves are normal for the mileage on the clutch.
Right: The friction disk side of the clutch and the friction disk.. Notice the marks on the pressure plate. This is due to over heating from racing or even stop and go traffic. The friction disk only had .017" before the rivets would gouge the flywheel.

Left: The friction disk side of the new pressure plate.
Right: The old throw out bearing (foreground) and the new throw out bearing. (background)
Always replace the throw out bearing when the clutch is being replaced.

Top Left: The new throw out bearing and clutch fork installed. Notice there is no machined area on the end of the input shaft, which usually fits into the....

Top Right Back of the crankshaft. The bearing is known as the pilot bearing.

Lower Center: In the middle of the picture you can see the pilot bearing. In this application, the bearing is there, but it is not used! (look at the input shaft, there is no machined area at the beginning of the shaft)

Left: Old clutch

Right: New clutch

With clean hands, place the new friction disk on the pressure plate. Lift up to the flywheel, and tighten the clutch bolts finger tight. Insert the clutch alignment tool into the hole in the clutch (where the input shaft will go) until the tools stops firmly in the pilot bearing. Tighten the clutch bolts in a diagonal pattern to spec.

Summary

It is not difficult to remove and replace the clutch in the Maxima. I only need one special tool, a $17 clutch alignment tools. In the past on my 91 NX 2000, and my 83 VW GTi, I have used a broom handle cut down to measure about 8" to align my clutch. This time I wanted the to use the right tool.

Right now, the typical cost to replace a clutch on a Maxima is about $600. (at least!)

My parts cost were: friction disk $120, pressure plate $170, and throw out bearing $48, from the local Nissan dealer. That totals $388 with tax (15% !)
ASE Master Certified.

Last edited by mpe235; 03-22-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

wow thats a good write up with pics and everything props man

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 03-23-2008, 05:00 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergey85 View Post
wow thats a good write up with pics and everything props man
I have to give the credit to the guy on the maxima website. It looks like he spent alot of time and effort taking pictures and posting all the info. I just happened to have stumbled upon it while looking for some pics to post.
motorvate.ca v2.0 - *THE* DIY Maxima Website
Old 03-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

yeh i have seen the site before i think its only for the 4th gen but anything helps though

Tags
2000, clutch, maxima, replacement