Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Leaking ATF on right side oil seal Forums > > Leaking ATF on right side oil seal Leaking ATF on right side oil seal
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 12-14-2007, 06:57 PM

2004 Maxima

Default Leaking ATF on right side oil seal

Well, I thought I would seek some good advise on a small, persistent transmission fluid leak from the right side oil seal where the CV shaft enters the differential on my 2004 Max. Long story short, I had to replace the passenger side CV half-shaft due to a torn inner boot. Actually I've had the CV half-shaft out 3 times now. The first time the parts store gave me the wrong part and I had to reassemble with the original part. I had no leak after this re-assemble. When the right part came in I put the new CV half-shaft in and the leak started. It only leaks when the car is driven and the leak is very small. So after two weeks I get a new oil seal from Nissan and re-do the entire job paying special attention to not damaging the oil seal on the re-install. Even with the new oil seal I still have the same small leak. I checked how well the seal fit on the axle before putting them on the car and it fit very nicely. So now that I am pretty confident about the new seal, I'm kind of wondering if there isn't some kind of problem with the new CV axle. Maybe it isn't perfectly straight or perfectly round or something. Anyone seen this issue or have any ideas? This is starting to get really frustrating. :censored:

Last edited by Longhorn101; 12-23-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 PM

2004 Maxima

Bump.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:41 AM
2015 Rogue

Did you get an aftermarket or oem seal?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:20 AM

2004 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
Did you get an aftermarket or oem seal?
I installed an OEM seal. Picked it up from my local dealer. I'm fairly confident that it went in OK and wasn't hurt on the axle install.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:48 AM
2015 Rogue

When you removed the axle did you remove the bracket from the engine or did you remove the 3 bolts and pull the axle out of the bracket?
Old 12-24-2007, 06:55 AM

2004 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
When you removed the axle did you remove the bracket from the engine or did you remove the 3 bolts and pull the axle out of the bracket?
I removed the 3 bolts and pulled the axle out of the bracket. I left the bracket in place and never loosened it or moved it. Hopefully this is the correct way to do the install - at least that is the way the book said to do it.

When I reinstalled, I got some help holding the outer part of the CV axle while I very carefully inserted the axle into the differential making sure not to damage the new oil seal. Since I also checked out the new seal on the axle prior to installing and it had a good fit, I'm pretty confident in the integrity of the seal itself.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:37 AM
2015 Rogue

Sounds like it was installed correctly. It is possible that the fluid may be leaking around the seal itself where it goes into the transmission. If it is you will need to get a new seal and apply rtv sealer to the outside edge of the seal before you install it into the transmission.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:24 AM

2004 Maxima

Ok, Thanks for the help.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:42 PM

2004 Maxima

Reviving this thread because I just got under the vehicle, pulled back the dust cover to get a good view of the seal area. I can see that the leak is almost certainly coming from the center of the seal area where it contacts the axle. I can't see any noticable problem with the seal and I ran the car in gear while it was up on jack stands to see if I could see any problem with the axle and I could not notice any wobbling or anything. I could see a really small amount of ATF slipping through at the seal center. I'm still wondering if there is an off-center or wobbling axle issue even though I couldn't see anything unusual.

I think my next step is to just do the entire job again with another seal and another CV-axle unless there are any other tips out there. One question I want to verify is whether or not there is a specific rotation on the three bolts where they go into the mounting bracket. They seem to be identically separated so I assume it doesn't matter how it is rotated and attached to the bracket.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:16 PM
wagiii

I know this post is old but I have the same issue with my 04 Maxima with 4spd automatic. I also have a very noticeable vibration in my steering wheel and front end when I accelerate hard. Could there be a bearing or gear or something failing in the transmission that is allowing the axle to wobble which would cause the seal to leak? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:52 PM

2004 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagiii View Post
I know this post is old but I have the same issue with my 04 Maxima with 4spd automatic. I also have a very noticeable vibration in my steering wheel and front end when I accelerate hard. Could there be a bearing or gear or something failing in the transmission that is allowing the axle to wobble which would cause the seal to leak? Thanks for any help.
I still have this problem even after 3 attempts and 2 new seals. The leak is extremely small and I've only added 1/2 quart of ATF even after almost a year. I'm interested if you are able to find any information. I'm considering taking this to my mechanic to see if he has any magic, but I really think I did the install correctly and don't think he will do anything better.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:19 PM
wagiii

I found out what the problem was. I had to replace the passenger side CV axle about 6 months ago and it was after that when I noticed the vibration and leak. I thought I may have nicked the seal so I put a new seal in and it still leaked. This weekend, I checked the CV Axle and when rotating it there was definite off center movement of the outer shaft. I returned the axle and got a replacement under warranty and that solved the problem with the vibration. I'm hoping this will also remedy the fluid leak. I'm guessing the vibration was transferring to the transmission and causing the seal to leak. I hope your problem is as simple to fix as mine happened to be. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:04 AM

2004 Maxima

Wagiii,

Thanks for the post. I've wondered before if this might be my issue and I did my best on the last axle I installed (2nd new one from Orielly's Auto) to make sure it was not warped or bent in some way. I even looked at it in motion under the vehicle while up on jack stands. If you don't mind coming back and dropping me a note in a couple of weeks to let me know if you think this really fixed your leak, I would truly appreciate it. I might take another swag at doing this job yet again if it seemed to work for you. By the way, where did you get your axle from? Do you know who manufactured or remanufactured it?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 AM
wagiii

Default Leaking ATF on right side oil seal

I actually got my axles at Oreilly's as well. The other parts stores didn't have the axle and appeared to not be able to order it. When I noticed the seal leaking after the axle install, I got a seal from Oreilly but it looked a lot different from the OEM and it seemed to fit the axle very loosely. I decided not to install that seal so I got one from Nissan and it seemed to fit more snugly but I still had the leak and the vibration. The second axle replacement cured the vibration. Unfortunately, I won't be able to report back to you about the fluid leak because I traded cars this weekend. I had been looking at a 2006 SE and ended up trading for it. I actually replaced the axle during the time I was negotiating with them on the trade. I expect that the vibration was causing the shaft to move just enough to cause the seal to leak but I'll never know for sure!

Best Wishes in getting yours fixed.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 AM

2004 Maxima

Wagii, Congrats on the new 06 SE. You and I did the exact same thing. I also had to go to Nissan to get the seal which fit snuggly. I don't have any noticable vibration and watched the axle/seal in operation on jacks but I'll keep that in mind. The only other thing I can think of would be motor or tranny mounts. I wonder if they were going out if that might cause a problem with the seal on bumps. Oh well, enjoy the new Max.

Cheers

Tags
atf, leaking, oil, seal, side