Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Fresh air intake attached to radiator Forums > > Fresh air intake attached to radiator Fresh air intake attached to radiator
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 07:08 PM
1999 Maxima

Default Fresh air intake attached to radiator

The threads about replacing a radiator either make no mention of the Fresh Air Intake mounted to the radiator, or simply say "remove fresh air intake". The latter is my problem, I don't want to break anything and am puzzled by how to remove it.

The Service Manual is useless, it does not even show the Fresh Air Intake in the parts diagram. The cooling section tells you how to crimp on a new radiator top but makes no mention of removal. I searched every pdf of the various sections and found a few 'fresh air' references but none of them were for the radiator/air filter box.

The fresh air intake of my wife's i30 as shown at https://imgur.com/uYwJ6sr has to be removed before anything can be done with the radiator.

The intake channels air over to the air filter box and fits over an external airbox fitting https://imgur.com/6CX15oY. There appear to be no clips to relase or press to open, it looks like twisting a joint knife in the gap will push the fresh air intake off the airbox.

Sounds easy, but there is a gotcha as seen at https://imgur.com/LAfsDDs a T drops down to a rigid plastic elbow which has an open rectangle that appears to be snap fitting that has to be pressed in. I tried pressing a screw driver against it without success.

If anyone on the Forum has removed the Fresh Air Intake, I would very much appreciate their advice on how to remove it.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:08 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It's been awhile since I did one, but I don't recall it being very difficult. As I remember doing it, unbolt the sensor from the top of the air duct and remove the two clips that fasten the front to the radiator support, lift the front of the air duct up and twist back and forth as you pull up and it should just pull out of there.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:24 AM
1999 Maxima

Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I never could removethe air duct. It lifted up easily enough, and twisting pulled it out of the air box but I could not pull it forward because of the positive battery cable, and it would not turn on its side because there was no room.

Fortunately, the air duct did move forward and up far enough that I could string it to the hood and have enough room to remove/install the fans/radiator. Next time I'm at PiknPull will get aggressive and see if I can get the air duct out, and more importantly, once out can I put it back?

Disappointed with Gates. The top hose had a smear of red paint, and when I looked closely it identified a small but deep cut. Fortunately, the top hose on the car felt fine so re-used it. Amazon will do a replacement, and I'm lucky it was the easy top hose rather then the bottom hose that was deficient.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Tags
air, attached, fresh, intake, radiator