Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Maxima refuses to relearn idle I think !!!!! Forums > > Maxima refuses to relearn idle I think !!!!! Maxima refuses to relearn idle I think !!!!!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 05:04 AM
2001 Maxima

Default Maxima refuses to relearn idle I think !!!!!

Hi Guys I havent been on for a while I have been super busy doing an honours degree in energy engineering. anyway, I bought a nissan maxima 01 in september last year, ran ok but was a bit iffy cut out the odd time but now I sorted that the car wont hold idle between 1500 and 3500 for the emissions test, any suggestions as to what could be causing this. I have a delphi and wurth wow knock off which gives a good bit of info there is only one code for a knock sensor but that shouldnt cause this kind of issue should it ?, unless it is preventing idle relearn but It was doing this long before the knock sensor became an issue obviously it could have been failing but I think there is another issue I have attached some readings if someone can tell me if they look mental to them too. any ideas this is going on months now the car is off the road since march.

Attachments 0 x
DARREN
Old 06-27-2017, 03:49 PM
2015 Rogue

Try disconnecting the electronic motor mounts. Both plugs are easily accessible . The connectors should be brown. The motor mounts on those short internally and causes the circuit in the ecm to melt. It usually melts the circuit next to it also which is for the idle air control circuit. If you catch is soon enough you can just leave the mounts unplugged. You won't notice any difference. If not you will need a new idle air control valve and ecm. Just remember to not plug the mounts back in.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:57 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. You said: "Maxima refuses to relearn idle I think." So, did you perform the Idle Air Volume Learning procedures?
2. You said it will not hold idle between 1500 - 3500. Inspect Throttle body. If gunk up, clean with carb cleaner.

2000-2001 Nissan Maxima Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure | Nissanhelp.com
Old 06-27-2017, 11:08 PM
2001 Maxima

Hi guys thanks I will try the engine mount theory, I have tried idle learn procedure several times but I will try it again with the mounts disconnected I removed ECM but everything looked and more importantly smells fine I removed the throttle body and cleaned it the only code is for the knock sensor which I replaced with the sub harness but it still remains as a fault and wonder if it is part of the problem but I am at a loss I will work on it today and report back thanks again
Old 06-27-2017, 11:44 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Key to doing the IAVL procedures is correct count. Be sure you have a clock or stop watch. Remember when intstruction says "at least 3 seconds you can go 4 or 5 seconds with no harm." However if it says "within 5 seconds you must complete the operation without going over the alloted time. I use the stop watch on my phone. good luck.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:14 AM
2001 Maxima

Ok Benny cheers for that I'll try the stop watch I will try anything at this stage.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:31 AM
2001 Maxima

Question

Hi Guys,
I tried the relearn procedure,wouldnt take again, however she threw the following tantrum P0325 knock sensor , P0115 ECTS , P0155 O2 sensor, P1614 NATS. Nats is not a a problem just low battery but O2 sensor I think would make sense as is ects and it has thrown these codes before but intermittent. sould I replace it its the front O2 sensor bank 2 by the way. any suggestions ?
Old 06-29-2017, 01:22 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

P0115 ECTS - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor plays a vital role in engine management system. When ECM receive feedback that engine reach normal operating temperature, that is when computer starts to monitor or receive feedback from different sensors
(Close Loop condition). If your code reader has Live Data features you can see the coolant temperature. Its usually located where the water outlet is. If you're replacing the ects and if Theremostat hasn't been replaced this is a good time to do it.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:10 PM
2001 Maxima

ok benny I will order up all the parts they are slow to get here because the maxima is extremely rare here in ireland there is only about 50 of them in the country, never thougt of the thermostat, just a thought I used a universal coolant when I flushed the coolant system, would it affect it? also oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2 is reading lean constantly does not change watched it for 30 mins no change.

Last edited by darbuck; 06-30-2017 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:11 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I suspect the lean condition may have triggered the P0325, however it has no bearing on your idle issue. While waiting for your parts, be sure your fuel delivery systems are fine. Be sure fuel pump, fuel pressure Ok and, injectors are working fine before installing the new oxygen sensor. good luck.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:25 AM
2001 Maxima

Hi Benny,
I changed the fuel pump and tested all injectors and I had good spray patterns I seem to have strong electro mechanical action aswell. I have tested for vacuum leaks and cant find any either. I think my fuel pressure regulator is good but I need to test it, there is no fuel in the vacuum line thanks for all your help and I will let you know how I get on.
Dar

Tags
idle, maxima, refuses, relearn