Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
New Maxima owner - lots of questions/issues Forums > > New Maxima owner - lots of questions/issues New Maxima owner - lots of questions/issues
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 03-03-2017, 06:04 AM
2000 Maxima

Default New Maxima owner - lots of questions/issues

Hello everyone!
I purchased a used 2000 maxima with 180K about 5 months ago. there were some mechanical issues and I felt I was mechanically inclined enough to the repairs without issue. Here is the list of items that needed attention as well as some surprises I found along the way.

Oil sending unit hemorrhaging oil - replaced day I bought it
valve gaskets spewing oil - replaced 30 days ago
spark plugs- new installed with valve gaskets
PCV hoses - new installed due to old ones rotting away during removal
Plenum gasket - replaced since I was taking off anyway.
-found out 3 of my plenum bolts were not installed correctly. I now need to retap or helicoil the block since the threads or stripped out.

I completed all of this and suddenly my car can no longer maintain a decent idle. It stay around 1500. Not an issue except my mileage went to less than my 02 Tahoe. Discovered the "idle relearn" procedure. I have complted this damn dance close to fifty times to no avail. This lead me to replace the TPS since it was not reading in specs on the multimeter.
And...since I was at it the IACV was replaced as well. I now have a stuttering car that bogs when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and my RPMS are all over the place and I don't get a steady increase when I press the accelerator. It stutters at 1700 RPM, but will level out at higher RPMS. Under load (in gear), the engine will drop to 700 RPMS, but again, the boggy acceleration thing is suddenly there.
I did have to clean the throttle body, intake manifold and plenum due to the amount of oil this thing was spitting out. My vacuum lines were literally dripping during removal.
I am positive this is mechanical since it didn't appear until after I touched the car. BUT, it seems to be a vacuum leak, which I guess I need to look for, or the ECM, or the MAF. It is not throwing codes, so this puzzle is making me reconsider foreign vehicles as a whole since this is not difficult, just overly complicated to resolve.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplagens05 View Post
And...since I was at it the IACV was replaced as well. I now have a stuttering car that bogs when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and my RPMS are all over the place and I don't get a steady increase when I press the accelerator. It stutters at 1700 RPM, but will level out at higher RPMS. Under load (in gear), the engine will drop to 700 RPMS, but again, the boggy acceleration thing is suddenly there.
I did have to clean the throttle body, intake manifold and plenum due to the amount of oil this thing was spitting out. My vacuum lines were literally dripping during removal.
I am positive this is mechanical since it didn't appear until after I touched the car. BUT, it seems to be a vacuum leak, which I guess I need to look for, or the ECM, or the MAF.
1. Double check your work. You think you might have a vacuum leak but don't overlook for intake air leak. Do this first.

2. After you've determined there's no vacuum or intake air leaks then you can work on the idle issues. The work you've done I am certain you've disconnected the TPS harness connector. When you do this you have to do the Idle Air Volume Learning procedures (IAVL). Do not rush when doing this procedures and Correct Count is key. Also understanding a couple phrases such as "at least" and "within." Example: If instruction says "at least 3 seconds, you can go 4 or 5 seconds." If instruction says "within 5 seconds, you must complete the operation without going over the time alloted. Use a clock or the stop watch on your phone. good luck.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:38 PM
2000 Maxima

Hey guys quick update:

Fixed the plenum stripped bolts, egr valve bolt issues was reovled witha dril and trip to Lowes. I double chekced the hoses, coil packs, etc and ensured everything was tight and installed. Now, it will idle around 1200 and drop as the car warms. But, it stalls at operating temp. MAF? kerosene and lit match?

Still no codes, and it stutters at 1500 to 2500 rpms at idle or in gear. Also stalled at stoplights, so fun test drive there. Thanks again everyone. Thinking i ned to get an ECM flash due to all the new stuff I put on this thing.

Tags
lots, maxima, owner, questions or issues, questions/issues