Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Speedometer not working. Forums > > Speedometer not working. Speedometer not working.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 08-09-2016, 07:38 AM
2000 Maxima

Default Speedometer not working.

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the Nissan family. I just recently purchased a 2000 maxima GLE for my daughter. It was from a neighbor who was the original owner and know the car was well maintained. Very happy with Maxima. I purchased it as is with check engine light on and speedometer not working(p0500).

With the help of this forum I was able to narrow down possible causes.

1. Vehicle Speed Sensor(not revolutionary sensor).
2. Speedometer(cluster)

I changed the VSS and no change, still no speedometer and check engine light with P0500 back.

This brings me to my main reason for posting and hoping for help. I'm now searching for a new instrument cluster but not sure which I need. The choices are with or without Traction control thru 10/99 or thru 11/99.

The car does have traction control but its the thru 10/99 or 11/99 that I don't know. I was told one wont work with the other. How do I find out? I really care less about traction control lights working or not, just want speedometer to work so no p0500 and pass inspection. Any info will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Dan
Old 08-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Well, if you have traction control, then get the one for "with traction control" to avoid causing problems with the system. The dates refer to production date, which will be on a sticker on the driver's door jamb, which also includes information suck as the VIN #, trim codes, etc.
Nissan doesn't sell the instrument cluster assy., rather the speedometer head unit by itself, which can be replaced by taking the cluster apart, which is not too hard once it's removed. The part may or may not still be available new, but you can get the Nissan part # by going to NissanPartsDeal.com, enter your VIN # and search for speedometer. Then you could at least search for the correct part number for your vehicle.
That said, I would find out how much it would cost to have it repaired. There are a number of places that do this. R.T. Grim has been around since 1928 and is very good with communication if you e-mail them for a quote. They will want the whole cluster which they will include shipping in their price. Turnaround is about four business days. They are located in Pennsylvania. Circuit Board Medics is also well known for their Nissan ECM repairs, but they also repair clusters. Links to their sites are provided below:

Home - R.T. Grim

https://circuitboardmedics.com/nissa...luster-repair/

Nissan Parts Deal:

2000 Nissan Maxima Instrument Meter & Gauge - NissanPartsDeal.com
Old 08-09-2016, 01:25 PM
2000 Maxima

Thank you for your quick reply and help. I seen quite a few of these clusters on ebay. Each seller seems to make a note of thru 10/99 or after 11/99, which leads me to think it my be a compatible difference although pics look the same.

I just pulled the trigger and purchased 1 with traction control. I'm a little concerned since its noted thru 10/99 and my production date is after 11/99. If there's a problem I will send out the originally to be repaired with the link you provided. It will still end up being a lot cheaper than purchasing a new speedometer head unit.

I just hope now its the speedometer that's my problem...lol

Thanks again and I will definitely post back with an update.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:24 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I think the one you need is Nissan P/N: 24820-2Y900, which is actually still available new from Nissan for $258+shipping. The reason I think it is this because it's listed for production date of 4/99-10/2000. The other two part numbers are for 10/00-6/01, which should be 2001 models. These are speedometers, not clusters.
A cluster up through 10/99 would incline me to think that the cluster is for an A32 Maxima, not an A33 model. However, it is possible that the speedometer may be correct for your vehicle, which would mean you would have to swap it. You probably should have gone with the 11/99 and up, as that would be for an A33. Remember, new models "usually" start production in fall of the previous year.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:12 PM
2000 Maxima

The production date on door sticker reads 06/00. Didn't see anything to show A32 or A33. Unfortunately the only used clusters I found with traction control were thru 10/99, all 11/99 and above were none traction control.

Hoping this works, have a 10 day temporary inspection that expires this Thursday, same day cluster should be delivered to my door. My daughter loves her graduation present and would hate to have to put in driveway until this is resolved.

Thanks again for your help and will post back with update.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:58 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

1995-1999 Maximas were A32 models; 2000-2003 models were A33 models. Different body styles.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:19 AM
2000 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
A cluster up through 10/99 would incline me to think that the cluster is for an A32 Maxima, not an A33 model. However, it is possible that the speedometer may be correct for your vehicle, which would mean you would have to swap it. You probably should have gone with the 11/99 and up, as that would be for an A33. Remember, new models "usually" start production in fall of the previous year.
No, a 1999 wont work for a 2000. Just to be more clear for anyone with a 2000 maxima with speedometer problems and choose to buy used instrument cluster, I will try to explain better.

When searching for used speedometer cluster ONLY from a 2000 Maxima the choices were, with or without traction control and production date thru 10/99 or after 11/99. I originally posted in search of the difference between these production dates, it seems any experience seller makes it a point to note this.

Speedometer not working.-1099-jpg

Speedometer not working.-1199-jpg

I purchased a 2000 maxima instrument cluster with traction control(I have TC) thru 10/99 and still waiting for its arrival. My production date is 06/00(after 11/99). Will post back if works.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Interesting. I wonder when they started production for the 2000 Maxima?
Old 08-14-2016, 04:26 AM
2000 Maxima

Default Update

Received and installed my new instrument cluster yesterday, everything worked on cluster except the speedometer, just like my old one. Since I already changed my vehicle speed sensor I was unsure of my next step. Was considering changing the revolutionary sensor but since I was only getting a P0500 error code I felt this would be a waste of more time and money. Research told me the most common causes for speedometer not working with a P0500 was the VSS or speedo head. so I decided to go back to VSS and connections.

When I changed the VSS last week I used the car to pick up part and let car cool down before replacing but was still warm. The old sensor broke when trying to remove because the fit was so tight. I brushed on some transmission fluid around new sensor and oring before trying to install but still was real tight and had hard time getting in.

To sum it up... This time the cars been sitting so when I removed it I was surprised how easily it turned and came out. When I reinstalled it it slid in easier and felt the oring pop in and sat perfectly flush to top. Quick test drive and speedometer is working. Reinstalled old original instrument cluster and speedometer still working.

Best tip to anyone replacing one of these is make sure car is cold.

Tags
speedometer, working