Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Maxima P0420 & P0430 Forums > > 2001 Maxima P0420 & P0430 2001 Maxima P0420 & P0430
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
2005 Sentra

Default 2001 Maxima P0420 & P0430

I have a 2001 Maxima with 100K that is showing P0420 and P0430. I've cleared them and they come back in a week or two. I've read lots of stuff in the forum about one or the other, but never both. Seems odd that it would be both cats. I recently had to replace the starter and had to remove the air intake to get to it. The FSM says the 420/430 can be caused by intake air issues. The problem start a month or so after that. I've replaced two or three of the O2 sensors a while back. I know it has 4. I also read a posting about the ECM needing to be reprogrammed on certain 00/01s.

Is there any diagnosis I can do on my own before taking it to the dealer? How hard are the cats to replace if I decide to do it myself? Any issues with things rusted together or access that I may have issues with?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

It is some what common to have both codes, I checked an I30 this morning at my shop (same engine) and had both codes. Unfortunately with the age and mileage of your Maxima it's very possible that need both cats.

Reprogramming the ECM used to take care of the problem on some vehicles for the first couple of years, programming issues.

Replacing the cats is a bit complicated, specially removing the cat on the back.

Some people claim that using high octane gas and fuel additives will fix the problem, so before replacing the cats you could try that.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima
2007 maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrei View Post
I have a 2001 Maxima with 100K that is showing P0420 and P0430. I've cleared them and they come back in a week or two. I've read lots of stuff in the forum about one or the other, but never both. Seems odd that it would be both cats. I recently had to replace the starter and had to remove the air intake to get to it. The FSM says the 420/430 can be caused by intake air issues. The problem start a month or so after that. I've replaced two or three of the O2 sensors a while back. I know it has 4. I also read a posting about the ECM needing to be reprogrammed on certain 00/01s.

Is there any diagnosis I can do on my own before taking it to the dealer? How hard are the cats to replace if I decide to do it myself? Any issues with things rusted together or access that I may have issues with?

Thanks in advance.
if you google this you can read for days
Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
2005 Sentra

Default Status Update #1

Before going to the dealer, I tried a few things. First, since it said intake air could be a cause, I replaced the air filter. It had been a LONG time and it was dirty. I also put in a tank of 91 octane and a can of SeaFoam. To date (cross my fingers, knock on wood), the light has not come back on. I don't know if it was the air filter (I'm betting so), or the gas. I use SeaFoam every oil change, so probably not that. I will probably try another tank of high octane and then go back to 87 to see what happens. I'll try to post another update in a month or so.

So far so good ....

Tags
2001, maxima, p0420, p0430