Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2007 maxima shifting problems Forums > > 2007 maxima shifting problems 2007 maxima shifting problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 AM
2007 Maxima

Default 2007 maxima shifting problems

Hey guys. Ive been reading a lot of the posts on here with people having similar problems but not exactly the same. Heres the deal.
2007 maxima 64k miles cvt was previously replaced, MAF sensor replaced both by nissan. Its been to Nissan numerous times and they are telling me nothing is wrong with it. No codes come up and no lights are on.
When I start the car and start driving its ok for about 5 minutes. When I come to a stop and accelerate at a moderate pace the car is immediately shifting into 4th gear. In manual mode it accelerates ok but I can still feel something isnt right. If i start to accelerate moderately at about 20 mph ill throw it into manual and its saying its in 4th gear. And when braking once i hit twenty mph the tach jumps up a couple hundred as she shifts out of 4th 5th or 6th gear back into first gear. You guys are my last hope as NOBODY can figure out whats wrong with it.

Last edited by jaywills1020; 07-29-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM
G47

Hi, you have come to the right place.

does the car have the latest ECU and TCM update?

there is a service bulletin (NTB11-089) that says:

2007-2012 NISSAN MAXIMA; LOW POWER 0-40 MPH
Vehicle has low power 0-40 mph, and Power is normal above 40 mph,
and There are no DTCs stored. (meaning check engine light is not on).

ACTION
Before doing any other diagnostics or repair,
Inspect (and if needed) repair the ABS/VDC wheel speed sensors/signals.
• Refer to the Service Manual as needed.
• Perform “line graph” diagnostics on each sensor while driving. Inspect and repair as needed any sensor with a spike in the output signal or that has a different value than the other sensors.
NOTE:
• The most likely cause of the above concern is an issue (sensor, wiring, or debris on sensor/rotor) with the output signal from an ABS/VDC wheel speed sensor.
• A weak or erratic output signal from a wheel speed sensor can cause poor performance or lack of power from a stop, or at low speeds.
• Do not replace the TCM or CVT unit when repair of a signal from a wheel speed sensor will resolve the issue.

(The CVT is the transmission and the TCM is the computer that controls the transmission)

We had another user with a similar probably and he got his fixed.
ended up being an ABS sensor and cleaning the other one.

Last edited by G47; 07-29-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM
2007 Maxima

thanks for the response. lets say that was the problem, why didnt nissan techs pick up on that? theyre telling me theres nothing wrong with it.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM
G47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywills1020 View Post
thanks for the response. lets say that was the problem, why didnt nissan techs pick up on that? theyre telling me theres nothing wrong with it.
well if they dont check the service bulletin's they wont know, also the way you were describing it, it is not exactly what the service bulletin states.

if the car is not reading the wheel speed through the sensor when you accelerate it does not know to downshift or not so it will stay in higher gear (even thought CVT has one gear)

Last edited by G47; 07-29-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Tags
2007, maxima, problems, shifting