Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
ABS Issue - Clarification of Service Bulletin BR06-011b  NTB07-016b  '04 Maxima Forums > > ABS Issue - Clarification of Service Bulletin BR06-011b  NTB07-016b  '04 Maxima ABS Issue - Clarification of Service Bulletin BR06-011b NTB07-016b '04 Maxima
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
2004 Maxima

Default ABS Issue - Clarification of Service Bulletin BR06-011b NTB07-016b '04 Maxima

My '04 Maxima - Slip, VDC Off, Brake, ABS lights all come on shortly after I start moving (As I start moving I can hear the ABS pump running a few seconds and stopping just before the lights come on). I show code C1124 - RR LH IN ABS SOL
The referenced bulletin http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ba...NTB07-016b.pdf States to ONLY rework the RIGHT REAR hub and replace the wheel sensor. This is confusing - doesn't LH refer to LEFT HAND in the code C1124 -RR-LH IN ABS SOL? The code CC1126 - RR RH in ABS SOL has RH in it. Wouldn't that be the right hand code?

Also, if the right hub needs this procedure because of corrosion, wouldn't it be advisable to perform the same procedure on the left side?

Thanks.

Rick
Old 12-21-2011, 02:52 PM
2005 Maxima
2005 MAXIMA

I just bought a 2005 Maxima SE Elite and it didn't pass emission because some lights on the cluster do not turn on when the car is turned on. I took the cluster apart only to find out the SOB that sold me the car covered the lights with a piece of tape!! I have the same lights on as you. I will investigate and if i find anything out, I will let you know.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:59 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick33b View Post
My '04 Maxima - Slip, VDC Off, Brake, ABS lights all come on shortly after I start moving (As I start moving I can hear the ABS pump running a few seconds and stopping just before the lights come on). I show code C1124 - RR LH IN ABS SOL
The referenced bulletin http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ba...NTB07-016b.pdf States to ONLY rework the RIGHT REAR hub and replace the wheel sensor. This is confusing - doesn't LH refer to LEFT HAND in the code C1124 -RR-LH IN ABS SOL? The code CC1126 - RR RH in ABS SOL has RH in it. Wouldn't that be the right hand code?

Also, if the right hub needs this procedure because of corrosion, wouldn't it be advisable to perform the same procedure on the left side?

Thanks.

Rick
You need to do the repair on both sides. Also with that code you are going to have to replace the ABS controller.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM
2004 Maxima

Thanks MPE235. I cleaned the corrosion out of both rear hubs - they were both pretty bad. I also put an oscilloscope on each rear abs sensor and had clean pulses from each so I am reasonably sure the sensors are OK. I am going to install an actuator from a salvaged 04 Maxima (same model/ braking configuration). Will I need the dealer to perform any calibration or resetting of codes? I don't understand why a failure of the pulses from the ABS sensors due to hub corrosion cause the actuator to go bad. Is it because it over stresses the actuator?

Rick
Old 12-21-2011, 05:44 PM
2004 Maxima

Void67,
That's too bad.... sorry you have to deal with that. Some people are unscrupulous. I am trying to avoid a very expensive repair by doing the work myself.

Rick
Old 12-21-2011, 05:45 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Thanks MPE235. I cleaned the corrosion out of both rear hubs - they were both pretty bad. I also put an oscilloscope on each rear abs sensor and had clean pulses from each so I am reasonably sure the sensors are OK. I am going to install an actuator from a salvaged 04 Maxima (same model/ braking configuration). Will I need the dealer to perform any calibration or resetting of codes? I don't understand why a failure of the pulses from the ABS sensors due to hub corrosion cause the actuator to go bad. Is it because it over stresses the actuator?

Rick
No programming required. Just install it and bleed the brakes. The actuator goes bad because the abs runs continuous when the sensor is misreading. It overheats the unit. I have seen some that come in with the pump running even when the car is turned off. The only way to shut them off was to disconnect the power to it.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 PM
2004 Maxima

Thanks MPE 235. That makes sense. The wierd thing is,once I start rolling I can hear the pump turn on and run for about 5 seconds. Then it stops and all the lights come on. I will install the replacement actuator after New Years.

Rick
Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Thanks MPE 235. That makes sense. The wierd thing is,once I start rolling I can hear the pump turn on and run for about 5 seconds. Then it stops and all the lights come on. I will install the replacement actuator after New Years.

Rick
If you unplug one of the ABS sensors the pump should stop running. The right front is the easiest to get to. The plug is right next to the coolant reservoir.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
2004 Maxima

Thanks MPE. It stops by itself after running for about 5 seconds. Is it still necessary to unplug a sensor until I get around to replacing the actuator unit?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:14 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Thanks MPE. It stops by itself after running for about 5 seconds. Is it still necessary to unplug a sensor until I get around to replacing the actuator unit?
You should be ok as long as it stops by itself.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:31 AM
2005 Maxima
2005 MAXIMA

Rick33b,
I am going to do the work myself as well This weekend. The only thing different is that I am not getting any error codes. Luckily I have 2 cars so I can still drive one will I work on the other. I hope the D/B that sold me the car gets a lump of coal for X-Mas, even that is more than he deserves!

Marry X-Mas to all!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:32 AM
2005 Maxima

If you are looking for more information on this topic, this page may help. It provides details about the problem.

https://mynissanmaxima.wordpress.com/

"The Nissan Maxima has an subframe rust and ABS problem that causes the SLIP, ABS, TCS OFF (VDC OFF), and BRAKE lights to come on when subframe rust causes the ABS actuator and rear ABS sensors to break. Nissan's Technical Service Bulletin TSB NTB07-016b explains the subframe rust and ABS problem. The 2004, 2005, 2006 , 2007 Nissan Maxima has a design defect that creates excessive subframe rust on both rear wheels and causes the Antilock Brake System (ABS) to break."

Tags
abs, brb, bulletin, clarification, issue, maxima, ntbb, service