Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Help!!  Car won't start but lights work Forums > > Help!!  Car won't start but lights work Help!! Car won't start but lights work
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 PM
2007 Maxima

Default Help!! Car won't start but lights work

This morning I get into my 2007 maxima, I turn the ignition but the car doesn't start. The dash lights up and blink off and on but the car will not start. I bright the battery to auto zone had it checked. Was told the battery is good. Was charged at 70% so they charged it up to 100%. I bought new terminals and put that on and the battery back and same thing.
One thing I did notice was this morning first few times I tried to start it the steering wheel moved into position as usual and the seat moved forward. This evening it isn't doing that. But lights and radio and lights on the dash still work. Any ideas??
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. is this an OE battery on your '07 max? if so you probably need a new battery. it may show 100% charged but with capacity at 30-40% remaining, it may crank well but cannot turn the engine. if you're situated in freezing temp. makes it even tough for starter batteries.

2. why a need for new cable terminals. was old ones corroded and lots of sulfation at the battery post, you know that crystalize gunk that piles up at the battery post. check cables (be sure strands are not broken)and connections specially at the frame and engine.

3. did auto zone tell you the voltage reading. if not, do your own with a volt meter. if it shows under 12v, its time to replace.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 AM
2007 Maxima

We changed the terminals cause my husband had no clue what else to do. So he figured why not. There wasn't alot of corrosion on them or the battery. And yes sir it was auto zone that checked the battery for me and told me it was good.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 AM
2007 Maxima

We also tried to jump start the car. And that didn't work either.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Ok jump starting didn't work. Any driveability issues you've experienced in the past even if intermittent. Try do this:
1. GOT GAS? is "check engine light" on? if on, scan computer for trouble codes before continuing diagnostics work. if not on, go to #2.
2. have someone step on brake pedal and someone go to the rear and see if brake lights are on. if they are on, then go to #3.
3. key to On and you should hear a buzzing sound, its normal your fuel pump powered on. wait at least 5 seconds before cranking. DO NOT STEP ON GAS PEDAL WHEN CRANKING. Before cranking, move shifter out of Park position and move to any gear and back to Park and make sure its fully engaged. When cranking Take Notice of security light in front of driver on the dash. If red light stays "Solid Red" instead of being Off when cranking, Stop cranking and tow your car to your nearest Nissan repair shop.

If all 3 above check out and depending on your time, and experience doing car repair you may need professional help. You can take it to your favorite repair shop or your Nissan repair shop.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 AM
2007 Maxima

Just a little update on my car. It's working again without any problems. I did have to get a new battery. What a mechanic friend explained is. The other morning the battery was dead, and either from trying to jump start the battery or taking the terminals off to clean them we set off the anti theft immobilization system. The manual explained what to do to reset it. Turn the switch to for 5 seconds. Turn it back to off for 10. Back on for 5. Back off for 10. And when we went to start it, we heard the clicking from the dead battery, my husband charged the battery up again and amazingly enough it started no problems. Thank you so much for your time.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:37 PM
2000 Maxima

Default This was very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb53 View Post
Ok jump starting didn't work. Any driveability issues you've experienced in the past even if intermittent. Try do this:
1. GOT GAS? is "check engine light" on? if on, scan computer for trouble codes before continuing diagnostics work. if not on, go to #2.
2. have someone step on brake pedal and someone go to the rear and see if brake lights are on. if they are on, then go to #3.
3. key to On and you should hear a buzzing sound, its normal your fuel pump powered on. wait at least 5 seconds before cranking. DO NOT STEP ON GAS PEDAL WHEN CRANKING. Before cranking, move shifter out of Park position and move to any gear and back to Park and make sure its fully engaged. When cranking Take Notice of security light in front of driver on the dash. If red light stays "Solid Red" instead of being Off when cranking, Stop cranking and tow your car to your nearest Nissan repair shop.

If all 3 above check out and depending on your time, and experience doing car repair you may need professional help. You can take it to your favorite repair shop or your Nissan repair shop.
I stumbled across this thread today, and I'm very glad I did. For the last three days I haven't been able to crank or jump start my 00 maxima and I was wracking my brain trying to figure out why. So I gave the procedure in step 3 a go and my car started right up. So is that good or bad? All of the accessories on my car were working, just no crank. Because of some recent snow, I noticed the other morning that my back passenger door was open slightly. It was latched, just not shut all the way. Could that have stopped me from being able to start the car? Thanks for the help!

Tags
car, lights, start, work