Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 maxima fuel pump not coming on Forums > > 2000 maxima fuel pump not coming on 2000 maxima fuel pump not coming on
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 AM
2000 Maxima

Default 2000 maxima fuel pump not coming on

Have replaced the fuel pump recently. Now its not coming on. What tells the fuel pump to start? New crank sensor, New flywheel sensor, new starter, fuse is good, camshaft sensor is off the old engine.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Default fuel pump

From the ignition it goes to the fuse panel (drivers kick panel) where there is two fuses #17 (10 amp) and #29 (15 amp), from there it goes to a fuel pump relay next to the same fuse box. From there it goes to the car via the fuel pump control module and resistor (in left side trunk) and through the ECM. (between center console). When you turn the ignition on the fuel pump primes and then when car starts it has to have a good signal from the crank sensor or the ECU will stop fuel pump operation. See if you can turn ignition to on (not starting ) and see if you can hear fuel pump priming. If not you have a power/ground issue. Let me know
Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM
2000 Maxima

Fuel pump is not coming on. 15 amp fuse is good, did not know about the other one. Have replaced the fuel pump relay next to the fuse box. Will check in the trunk and see if its tripped and check the 10 amp fuse too. Will be a couple of days before I can check.
Thanks for the help.
Dave
Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 PM
2000 Maxima

OBDII codes coming on P-1320 Ignition signal primary
P0505 idle air control valve. If the ECM is not working will these codes shut off the fuel pump? If I change the ECM will the key need to be reset?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Default fuel pump issue

I think I have found your problem. There is a Technical Service Bulletin for your car for these codes. The information came from ALLDATA from my work which I can access from home also. First it says that there is a Harness problem which will cause a no start, no fuel and rough idle AKA p1320 and 505. And yes you would have to reprogram if you dropped another ECU but this I dont think is your problem. Anyways the harness is located bending around the right strut tower. The TSB says that the bend causes shorts and these fault codes from age. The bulletin was posted from dealer on 1-9-2002 , and the TSB # is 01-76B. I can get you the part # for the harness as well if you can give me the model year (production date) and the vin # it says the vin starting from "YT" down so on your car I dont know where that is but its from there down. I cant send the TSB info from my computer here cuz its not my shop computer it wont let me. But you got almost all the info so we work the rest together. get back at me asap so you can get this thing back on the streets.

Last edited by jsbyrne68; 12-30-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:55 PM
2000 Maxima

Thanks
I will get the vin and production date. Its my daughters car and I will have to go by tomorrow to get the info. Thanks again for your help
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
2000 Maxima

Production date is 04/00. Vin JN1CA31A6YT02845
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

I got you when I get home tonight, were slammed at work everyone come in at last minute.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM
2000 Maxima

No problem Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Default fuel pump

Look at the DTC chart #2 on the Service Bulletin and tell me this doesnt identify with your problem. DTC codes #P335, 340, 505, and 1320. Its identical to your problem. Anyways hope we can get it finished or give the the best attempt. Its hard when I dont have it in front of me. Im done for the day, let me know something. Until then
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It would be a little premature to condone the harness without doing a continuity tests of those circuits. I agree that it "may" be the harness, but it's also possible that he has a bad coil setting the P1320 code and a leaking IACV/AAC valve that's shorted the harness and taken out the ECM, or possibly another scenario. It's be an expensive shame if someone spent several hundred dollars on an EGI harness and went through the work of installing it, only to find out it didn't fix the problem!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:52 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Default fuel pump

I didn’t advise that he replace parts and that is exactly why I stated that it “could” be the harness. Clearly there is an issue; whether it is the ECU, harness, or ignition. Obviously, I can’t physically look at his car, but I can give some guidance based on the information that is posted. I’m making suggestions so the guy doesn’t get ripped off in some chop shop or dealership. I've spent a lot of time trying to assist. Hopefully you can do the same!

Last edited by jsbyrne68; 01-01-2013 at 05:02 AM. Reason: cuz
Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 AM
2000 Maxima

I changed the engine in this car. Changed the crank, flywheel and cam sensors while it was out. Would not start. Fuel pump not coming on. Changed the fuel pump. Would not start, missed the connector for the cam sensor, plugged it in and the pump came on, car started. Would surge at idle and die. I had a leak at the throttle body, took it off , new gasket, reinstalled and the car started and ran great. It's been running and driving for about a month. About 2 weeks ago it started getting hard to start, took a lot of cranking to get started, but would run all day after that, no problems starting. Now it won't start at all. Weather has gotten colder, below 40 degrees, may not have anything to do with it. Other codes P0430 Cat System, P0139 Ox sensor bank 1 sensor 2, there is another code for the Ox sensor, but I did not write it down, P1320 Ignition signal primary and P0505 idle air control. I really do appreciate the help, at a loss on what to do. Love this car. Thanks for all the help and Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Default fuel pump

Ok now we have some more to go on during engine replacement the harness could of gotten disturbed or the ECU. I have done alot of research from this model. There is a ton of TSBs on the coils,spark plugs,(NGKs only), harness that I showed you was a large problem as well as the ECU with just as high of a percentage of problems. So as you can see ther is alot of could be's. There was also alot of Idle Air replacements as well. I will give you my best advice from here, If it was mine I would take it to get the system scanned with someone who has a "CONSULT" scanner. If you didnt know Nissan has a manufacturer specific scanner for these cars. The data that it produces and is capable of is more specific than the one I have. (Snap on Solus Ultra) My scanner is capable of almost everything the "CONSULT" scanner is except computer reprogramming and testing certain sensors and verification of said parts. I have found this out the hard way. Nissan will not release software for their data. I own a 2007 maxima and did a 90k service and induction service to it and found the Idle Air had to be reprogrammed and fortunatly my solus did it. There is an upgraded data for my ECU as well as yours which I cannot install because I dont own a "CONSULT" I have done my research and for 600 I am going to get one so i can do all updates on my car and ones that come to the shop. Nissan makes computers on their cars and sensors easy to work on with THEIR scanner but difficult with another. Some functions have to be done with old fashioned electrical, which my whole point (sorry it took so long to get to) will cost more money to diagnose than someone with the "CONSULT"scanner usually only available at your local stealership. Not many techs spend 4500 for scanner then buy an OEM scanner also. I just dont want anyone else to touch my car when I can do it. So you are forced to go to the monopolizational dealership. I wish I could see the car and do it for you. Like I said dont give up, you got alot involved already, and the shop only charges an hour for diagnostic. In my eyes well worth it to get verification, and take guess work out of it. We charge 112 an hour so most shops are the same a hundred for verification is fair dont u think. And you can get parts yourself and do work yourself to save. Im sorry I cant do more for now. You know where to get ahold of me if you need anything else. And you are more than welcome. Let me know what youre gonna do and or what they say if you get diagnostic done. I wanna see it through.

Last edited by jsbyrne68; 01-01-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 PM
2000 Maxima

I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they will charge to run the scans
Thanks again for your help
Will keep u posted

Tags
2000, coming, fuel, maxima, pump