Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Automatic Transmission Forums > > Automatic Transmission Automatic Transmission
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 07-04-2015, 02:08 AM
1998 Maxima

Default Automatic Transmission

I own a Nissan Maxima A32 with 300000km on the clock
Recently my automatic transmission has been acting up…
It started with the 2nd struggling to change over to 3rd (revs high and then changes over).
Then one morning when I started my car and tried to put it into gear, the car just dies.

When I finally got it in gear, the car went into limp mode.
After getting to the office, my son drained the gearbox oil and replaced it with dex2. After that the car ran like new for about 2 weeks. Since yesterday the car does not want to change over from 2nd gear into 3rd and now again in the mornings the car dies when I put it in to gear, but without it going into limp mode.
Any help/ suggestions will be highly appreciated
Old 07-25-2015, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Murano
2007 Maxima
2009 Murano

I had a Olds with the same problem a few year back. It could be that your car is not downshifting to a lower gear when you stop. So when you put it in gear, your not in first but third or fourth. Try starting out in low gear, or manually downshifting as you come to a stop.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I suggest starting by checking the transmission fluid level. If the level is OK, the you should have a transmission shop inspect it. Unfortunately due to the age of your Maxima and the symptoms, sounds like you may have a transmission mechanical problem.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima SE-R
2005 SE R Altima

Also when the tranny oil was last changed in ride .
Newer ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima ,NismoCAI/CatBack , OBX Headers ,RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi ,Red Lion Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC Ft RedStuff Pads/EBC Rotors , 06+ 350Z Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 AM
2006 Maxima
2012 Maxima
2006 Maxima

Hello All,

Roger on this end, My 06 maxi was doing the same thing as mentioned. Jerking into gear with high RPM's at times. I took it in to my local dealership for advise, they said I needed a new transmission at a tone of $4,200 total. I came home did some research on line, found some great threads on YouTube. I had a few options, 1st buy new trans 2nd change fluids 3rd change or repair transmission shift solenoids and hope that would work 4th buy a Transgo kit for $100 plus the cost for fluids and gasket material or 5th find a used transmission valve body on Ebay for a few hundred bucks.

I went with #5 because I was able to find a used valve body from someone whom has been selling items (parts) online for a long period with positive feed back that had a return policy. I did this for 2 reason, if the valve body didn't work out I'd have a spare when I would try and repair the valve body with the Transgo kit.

I found the valve body online for $150 from "powertrain parts plus" #(716) 387-5550 web: [email protected] plus I ordered the Transgo kit for my year and model Maxi mine is the SK AW55-50 kit this is for a backup incase the valve body didn't work $100

Now what I did was I drained the tranny fluid because it hadn't been changed in 70K miles, while I had the fluid drained I went ahead and opened the valve body cover plate. I looked for all types of #'s stamped on the V/B, for me it had T6 9168 on top left hand corner, cast #B on the center of the V/B, and B5 on the hard (metal) gasket located on the right side of the black transmission shift solenoid and A6 on the second hard gasket to the right of that first one. I relayed all this info to Duke and he matched it up with what he had and sent me the used one. I then replaced the V/B cover, filled the tranny with tranny fluid so I could drive it around while I waited for the used V/B, this also gave me a chance to see if changing the fluid would help any, it didn't.

So I received the used V/B 4 days later, drained the tranny fluid, opened the V/B cover and removed the old V/B, note I took pictures as I went before I would remove anything. There is a sequence that the bolts are installed, as I removed I would label its location, once V/B was removed installed the used V/B I got from Duke and hoped for the best, at worst I'd have a spare to work with if I messed up one. I replaced everything as I removed it replenished fluids "only after the gasket had time to dry, I waited 6 hours before adding fluid. Started my Maxi and went for a drive, note: what I did during the driving portion was shift from 1st to 5th gears several times before shifting in the "automode". All went well, no more hard shift or high RPM's in between shifts, no leaks and me I'm happy again, plus now I will try my hand at repairing the old V/B to have as a spare.

Hiram Gutierrez on youtube is a wizard transmissions. I followed his feeds from start to finish for a lot of the information needed. He shows you how to test your V/B solenoids and how to repair them as well how to repair the V/B.

Hope this helps you all out, It saved me tons on a new Tranny that perhaps I didn't need at this time, by the way I have 2006 Maxima SE with the 3.5L with over 280K, and I'm happy again. Good luck to all and I will help out as much as I can when I can, Later Roger E.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The only thing I would mention is that the A32 has a 4-speed auto trans which is different from the 5-speed auto trans used in later Maximas. Those later 5-speeds had problems with valve body warpage and the 4-speeds did not.
One thing I would do is to check for transmission codes. IIRC, there's a manual method to check for them involving putting the shifter into various positions and cycling the ignition key in a specific pattern. If you can find a downloadable service manual (Nico Club's site usually has them), the procedure should be in there, unless you have access to a scan tool that can access transmission codes in these vehicles. The service manual also has a symptom chart with a list of possibilities for those symptoms and diagnostic steps.

Tags
nissan, car, gear, change, 3rd, put, mode, limp, automatic, dies, started, transmission, 2nd, weeks, yesterday, dex2, ran, suggestions, appreciated, highly, replaced, mornings, drained, morning, recently