Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2007 nissan maxima transmission problem? ? Forums > > 2007 nissan maxima transmission problem? ? 2007 nissan maxima transmission problem? ?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 PM
2007 Maxima

Default 2007 nissan maxima transmission problem? ?

I own a 2007 Nissan maxima 3.5 se and have recently had what seemed to be a transmission problem. The car has 50,000 miles on it thus making it covered by factory warranty. The car when driven shifts through the gears smoothly when taking off from parked to 60 MPH. The problem occurs as you slow down from 60 to 35/40mph. Once at this speed, I attempt to accelerate and all that happens is the rpms rev way up but it seems to be stuck at 40mph. If i put it to the floor the car red lines and will lurch forward and slow down and lurch again and slow down... I brought the car to Nissan dealership and they acknowledged the problem, diagnosed it as an internnal transmission problem, and since its under factory warranty, put a new transmission in it at no cost to me. On my drive home I noticed that the car is doing the exact same thing I described. I turned around and brought it back and explained this to them. They said for 75$ they would run a diagnostic on it and try and figure out the problem. Still waiting to hear back since that was this morning. My question I guess is, does anyone know what this problem could be? I am a female and am feeling like they are giving me the run around and I would like a little knowledge about this problem so i could atleast understand what's going on. Any information would be helpful!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverbeek View Post
I own a 2007 Nissan maxima 3.5 se and have recently had what seemed to be a transmission problem. The car has 50,000 miles on it thus making it covered by factory warranty. The car when driven shifts through the gears smoothly when taking off from parked to 60 MPH. The problem occurs as you slow down from 60 to 35/40mph. Once at this speed, I attempt to accelerate and all that happens is the rpms rev way up but it seems to be stuck at 40mph. If i put it to the floor the car red lines and will lurch forward and slow down and lurch again and slow down... I brought the car to Nissan dealership and they acknowledged the problem, diagnosed it as an internnal transmission problem, and since its under factory warranty, put a new transmission in it at no cost to me. On my drive home I noticed that the car is doing the exact same thing I described. I turned around and brought it back and explained this to them. They said for 75$ they would run a diagnostic on it and try and figure out the problem. Still waiting to hear back since that was this morning. My question I guess is, does anyone know what this problem could be? I am a female and am feeling like they are giving me the run around and I would like a little knowledge about this problem so i could atleast understand what's going on. Any information would be helpful!
First of all, if they swapped the transmission and they want to charge you $75 for a code scan for the original problem, get on the phone with Nissan Regional management, because that's BS, they should not do that.

there is a service bulletin (NTB11-089) that says:

2007-2012 NISSAN MAXIMA; LOW POWER 0-40 MPH
Vehicle has low power 0-40 mph, and Power is normal above 40 mph,
and There are no DTCs stored. (meaning check engine light is not on).

ACTION
Before doing any other diagnostics or repair,
Inspect (and if needed) repair the ABS/VDC wheel speed sensors/signals.
• Refer to the Service Manual as needed.
• Perform “line graph” diagnostics on each sensor while driving. Inspect and repair as needed any sensor with a spike in the output signal or that has a different value than the other sensors.
NOTE:
• The most likely cause of the above concern is an issue (sensor, wiring, or debris on sensor/rotor) with the output signal from an ABS/VDC wheel speed sensor.
• A weak or erratic output signal from a wheel speed sensor can cause poor performance or lack of power from a stop, or at low speeds.
• Do not replace the TCM or CVT unit when repair of a signal from a wheel speed sensor will resolve the issue.

(The CVT is the transmission and the TCM is the computer that controls the transmission)
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I haven't seen that problem before, but they shouldn't charge you for the diagnosis. Your Maxima is still under warranty and the factory even extended the factory warranty on vehicles with CVT transmission: NissanAssist.com
Old 05-22-2012, 04:05 AM
2007 Maxima

Thank you for the reply! I am going to use your advice and try to get my 75$ back, they ran their diagnostic and called me back 2 hours after and said they found nothing but to leave it over night and they will drive it and see what they can figure from it. A bit of information I left out that might be helpful. The car ran perfect until I took it in for an oil change. After oil change it started to do this. I turned around and told the mechanic that there was a problem and he said all he did was change the oil. So I'm assuming its a coincidence but a part of me feels like its not. Is it possible something happened during the oil change?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Quote:
Thank you for the reply! I am going to use your advice and try to get my 75$ back, they ran their diagnostic and called me back 2 hours after and said they found nothing but to leave it over night and they will drive it and see what they can figure from it. A bit of information I left out that might be helpful. The car ran perfect until I took it in for an oil change. After oil change it started to do this. I turned around and told the mechanic that there was a problem and he said all he did was change the oil. So I'm assuming its a coincidence but a part of me feels like its not. Is it possible something happened during the oil change?
To back up just a bit, if it's the same symptom from the beginning before they swapped the tranny, then the same problem is there.

I cannot think of any way an oil change could cause this unless the guy is three fries short of a happy meal and drained the transmission of it's fluid instead of the engine oil. A dealer tech would not be employed very long if they were THAT bad.

Thank goodness you've got warranty for this.

Without telling them how to do their jobs, I would ask them if they were familiar with the TSB mentioned above about loss of power and print out a copy.

When the car was doing this, did you notice by any chance that the 'Slip' light flashed on (or the ABS light).

What can happen is the car thinks it's spinning it's front tires, then the traction control system reduces engine power until it thinks they are not.

The computer gets inputs from sensors on each of the four wheels, so if a wheel speed sensor is bad, the car gets confused.

When it does this, the first thing I would do is press the button to turn off traction control (TCS).

Has the vehicle had any wheel/tire damage? That would point to what wheel sensor to look at first.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Corrosion in the rear hubs could be pushing the rear abs sensors out of alignment. That causes the traction control to activate. Have you noticed the abs activate when stopping on a dry road?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:19 AM
2007 Maxima

Thanks again for the reply! When i brought the car in for an oil change the tire pressure light was on. I asked if he could check the pressure and fill to proper pressure. I was told by this mechanic that I had a bad sensor and not to worry about it until I'm due for an inspection. I left this shop and half mile down the road I started noticing this problem. I then brought it to Nissan and the diagnostic there I guess said a tire was low on air and the lights off now. But I definitely think you are on to something because u pretty much guessed that without me saying that. I am going to print this thread and bring it in with me after memorial day weekend. I really appreciate these answers, without this thread I would be clueless. Also, Nissan didn't charge me the 75$ for the second diagnostic because they couldn't find anything wrong they said. Seems strange that they said they drove it for 20 miles and felt nothing unusual and I drive it 5 miles and it clearly gets stuck in a gear and won't accelerate past 40mph. Even when i put it in manual shift it won't accelerate in any gear. But the rpms are very high.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:27 PM
2007 Maxima

Default 2007 Nissan Maxima with no power up to 40 MPH

Ok, I have been reading all of the threads and no one comes back and says what the fix was. Since I am now on my 5th trip in two weeks to Nissan to have this repaired, I thought I would share this with everyone. I have a new transmission and a new transmission control unit. (Under warranty still) Those were not the problem. It turns out there is a Nissan Service Bulletin (NTB11 - 089) that is exactly the problems I was having. Now I am being told $550 to replace the left rear sensor and clean the right rear sensor will do the job. I'm in Virginia by the way and I am the original owner. I take excellent care of my car. It has 105,000 miles on it and all I have had to do is regualr maintenance. Hope this helps and saves someone from wasting their time. I will update this when I actually get my car back tomorrow and see that I can use the 255 HP I paid for.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM
2007 Maxima

I did end up getting my car fixed for the symptoms i had originally talked about. I ended up needing a new rear wheel speed sensor and new abs. My factory warrenty did not cover these but my extended warrenty i bought extra covered the abs. Thanks for all the help/responses!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 AM
2007 Maxima

Default 2007 Nissan Maxima with no power up to 40 MPH

All,
As promised I am posting back now that I have gotten my car back from Nissan. Five times was a charm to get it fixed properly.
As written in earlier posts, my problem was my 2007 Maxima SE had a no power issue at times - mostly below 40 MPH. It was like I was tied to a tree. I would hit the gass pedal and the engine would excellerate to 5,000 - 6,000 RPM's and not go any faster. Very unsafe!

There is a Nissan Service Bulletin NTB11-089 that deals with this problem. They ended up replacing my left rear ABS sensor and cleaning my right rear one. Cost was $550 after they took off 10% for my troubles. Been driving it for 4 days now and runs just fine. Hope this helps you all in the future.

Tags
2007, maxima, nissan, problem, transmission