Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Vibration and tire damage 97 Maxima Forums > > Vibration and tire damage 97 Maxima Vibration and tire damage 97 Maxima
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima

Default Vibration and tire damage 97 Maxima

I have a 97 Max that has an issue with the front end that is causing severe vibration/roaring, and at times it sounds like I have a loose wheel, and is also eating both my front tires rapidly. The car has new ball joints, new cv axles, new tie rod ends, a new driver's side bearing, and the front struts were replaced last year. It has had an alignment also. I also hear a popping noise that seems to be coming from the drivers side of the car when I apply the brakes or make a turn. The brakes also pulsate pretty bad when I apply them, but the rotors and pads are new. I am at a loss. I have heard that internal trans problems can cause issues with the drive axles, etc, but the manual trans seems to be shifting fine with no slipping or hesitation. I also had the tires balanced and rotated, so I know it is not a balance issue. Any suggestions on where to begin would be helpful. Thank You....

Last edited by ratdude11; 05-18-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude11 View Post
I have a 97 Max that has an issue with the front end that is causing severe vibration/roaring, and at times it sounds like I have a loose wheel, and is also eating both my front tires rapidly. The car has new ball joints, new cv axles, new tie rod ends, a new driver's side bearing, and the front struts were replaced last year. It has had an alignment also. I also hear a popping noise that seems to be coming from the drivers side of the car when I apply the brakes or make a turn. The brakes also pulsate pretty bad when I apply them, but the rotors and pads are new. I am at a loss. I have heard that internal trans problems can cause issues with the drive axles, etc, but the manual trans seems to be shifting fine with no slipping or hesitation. I also had the tires balanced and rotated, so I know it is not a balance issue. Any suggestions on where to begin would be helpful. Thank You....
When you say 'eating tires', what is happening? Wearing out outer edges?

First of all, if the brakes are pulsating, whether the rotors are new or not, you have issues with either rotor thickness variation, runout, or hub runout. A perfectly true rotor can be ruined instantly two ways, one is by over-torqueing and/or unevenly torqueing the wheel nuts, and the other is by not bedding-in the brakes properly. Also, a brake pad compound that is too hard will cause higher temperatures, which could cause runout problems.

My first guess is if the brake calipers are shot or the brake hardware (such as the pad retainer clips) is either the wrong part or is also faulty, then the brakes are dragging, which causes vibration, and if the brakes are dragging, they will overheat, which warps the rotors or causes hardness variations in the rotors which causes pedal pulsation.

A popping sound when you apply the brakes sounds like faulty brake hardware or a binding caliper. Also make sure the calipers-to-knuckle bolts are tight. I would also make sure the drive axle nut is properly torqued on.

Assuming this is not all just a brake issue, my next guesses would be that the OTHER wheel bearing is shot, and the next stop would be the differential.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 AM
1995 Maxima

sounds like your axle nut backed off allowing the wheel bearing to become loose

Tags
damage, maxima, tire, vibration