Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
99 Maxima has hard start in the cold Forums > > 99 Maxima has hard start in the cold 99 Maxima has hard start in the cold
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 12-29-2011, 03:25 AM
99maximawi

Default 99 Maxima has hard start in the cold

I have been having issues with my Maxima and the root cause is unkown but trying to get some help on here. I the car will crank and will turn over, but it usually takes a time or two to do so. There are even times where it will crank, start and seems to almost want to stall after it starts, then goes up in rpm's and is fine. I have recently changed my spark plugs, battery and fuel filter but have heard that it could be related to the engine ground or fuel pressure reg. Please, if anything can help it would be greatly appreciated for this novice mechanic.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

You may have a problem with the idle control valve or low fuel pressure.

The idle control valve is an step motor controlled by the engine control module to maintain the engine idle speed. Besides the step motor there is an adjusting screw to adjust the engine idle. You should start by increasing the idle and check if the condition improves. If the problem persist it may be related to the fuel pressure system and you will have to check the fuel pressure to properly diagnose the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
99 Maxima has hard start in the cold-capture-png  
Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 PM
99maximawi

NissanTech-

I recently took my car in for repair on this above issue and all they could come up with is that the alernator belt was slipping, so it was replaced. Although it seemed to of worked at first, this morning (33 degrees in WI), the problem persisted and actually was worse it you can believe that. I mentioned that it could be the IACV or EGR and the mechanic said no. Should I replace the IACV first or what do you think?

Thanks,
99maximawi
Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I believed there were two owners who reported their ECM was fried due to IACV/AAC. I did not believe it at first but then learned the step motor can cause this due to spike in voltage. Scan the ecm for pending code and inspect your ground cable at the engine side.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Is it more when temps are colder? When cranking do it seem like engine is binding at times then will crank ok?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
2015 Rogue

Ground issues can cause starting issues on that year Maxima. You can try running a ground strap from the connection on the transmission case to a bolt on the engine block.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
1998 Maxima
2006 Xterra

I've had this exact problem for years.

I would say it only happens when the car sits overnight in weather around freezing or below. The car fires right up, rpms spike up to whatever they normally do on start up (around 1200 maybe?), but then immediately drop down to about 100 or the car stalls. When it goes down to 100 it almost always catches itself and pops back up to the cold idle rpm (around 1000) and then it's business as usual. Once the car has warmed up, the issue does not return.

I will try adjusting the IACV.

My mechanic has also speculated that maybe it's a faulty oxygen sensor that isn't asking for the right air/fuel mix on cold start-ups and perhaps this isn't noticed in warm start ups or warm weather is because the default mix just happens to work when the sensor is broken?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 AM

1993 Sentra

Just my 2 cents. Im not mechanic, but i do a lot of work on my car. Whenever I have this sort of issue. (Long start, stall or wanting to stall until the rpm's even out)....I clean my throttle body out. 13 years of ownership and this has worked everytime save for the time that my starter was actually the problem, but the symptoms were totally different.

Now that I have an aftermarket intake, I clean it out regularly so I haven't had this issue for the last 7 or so years.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:26 AM

1993 Sentra

PS - I joined this forum for my sentra, but my daily driver is a 97 maxima.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 AM
1998 Maxima
2006 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitone View Post
Just my 2 cents. Im not mechanic, but i do a lot of work on my car. Whenever I have this sort of issue. (Long start, stall or wanting to stall until the rpm's even out)....I clean my throttle body out. 13 years of ownership and this has worked everytime save for the time that my starter was actually the problem, but the symptoms were totally different.

Now that I have an aftermarket intake, I clean it out regularly so I haven't had this issue for the last 7 or so years.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the throttle body was cleaned recently. The starter was replaced a few years ago. I always try the cheap fixes first (TB not Starter :)

I was wondering if the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor may be the issue. My non mechanic line of thought would be that if this sensor is bad, would the car think the coolant is warmer on those cold days than it really is, asking for a different fuel/air mix to get up to operating temp faster?

I was also thinking the MAF; does it rely on temperature readings to do its job?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 AM

1993 Sentra

Hi Nick. Sorry this didn't help. Hitting the simpler things first is definately a good rule to go by. Only took me one incident to learn that.

I can't speak to your theory, but will add that the only other situations that I've personally seen involving hard starts or stalling (outside the obvious) have indeed been MAF issues or bad coil pack(s). There are ways to test both with with a multimeter but the specifics escape me. Maxima.org would be helpful if you haven't already trouble shooted these possibilities.

Capitone
Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Clean the throttle body again and get in as far as you can with tooth brush, might have cleaned it but not the IAC ports.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

Check fuel pressure!
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)

Tags
cold, hard, maxima, start