Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Steps for replacing front wheel bearing Forums > > Steps for replacing front wheel bearing Steps for replacing front wheel bearing
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 04-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
2005 Sentra

Question Steps for replacing front wheel bearing

I was told that my right front wheel bearing was going bad last time I had my 2001 Maxima in the shop. I'd like to replace it myself. Can someone describe the steps in replacing the wheel bearing? Wondering if this is something I can do. I'm an average DIY guy. Also, some of the threads suggest replacing the hub too. What is that and what would the steps be?

Are any special tools required?

None of the Service Manuals on this site seem to cover that.

Any pictures or diagrams would be a big help. I'm a visual person.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Yes, you do need special tools.

The instructions are in the "Front and Rear Axle" section of the service manual. You can download the section free from here: Knowledgebase - 2001 Maxima - Nissanhelp.com Forums
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
2005 Sentra

Thanks for the manual. It was very helpful (in convincing me I wasn't up to the task). Taking it in tomorrow. One interesting note - when I took the wheel off, the wheel bearing lock nut was 2.5 turns lose !!! The wheel moved side to side quite a bit!

The dealer wanted $600 to replace. A local shop said $200 + parts. Going with the local shop - this should be a pretty routine task. I'll post my actual cost when I get the bill.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
2005 Sentra

Had my local shop do the work today. $200 labor (2 hours) + $200 parts (bearing and hub). They did show me the parts and the hub was worn - it actually fit into the bearing without being pressed. While I think $97/hour is a little high (for St. Louis), it was cheaper than the $600 quoted by the dealer.

They had no idea why the locking nut came lose 2.5 turns since January. Maybe the play in the failing bearing caused that.

All fixed. thanks for all the help.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thanks for letting us know, Yes $400 was a bit high, but at least was way lower than the dealer. The price at my shop is about $50 less.

Tags
bearing, front, replacing, steps, wheel