Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
No heat, even during acceleration Forums > > No heat, even during acceleration No heat, even during acceleration
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
OMDB

Default No heat, even during acceleration

Like many here, I have no heat (awful time to notice this.) Even when accelerating I have nothing. I'll set it to 85 and it'll blow hard but the air isn't warm. If I put the fan down I can tel it's lukewarmish, but so close to air temp that, when blowing hard, it isn't noticeable.

I had the radiator replaced out of state this past summer. I assume it may be connected. The car's engine temp is perfect and right where expected.

Everything I've read, though, says that if there's air in the radiator I should still get heat when accelerating. This makes no difference. Stuck thermostat? Costly?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

try flushing the heater core
Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Tech Enthusiast

2000 Maxima

...or replacing the thermostat...
Old 12-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

If your engine temp is correct, then the thermostat or air in system are probably not the issue. Once the engine warms up, feel the heater hoses to see if they are warm/hot. If both are hot, then coolant is passing freely; if only one is hot, then coolant is restricted and you would have to flush/replace the heater core. If both are hot, coolant is passing freely and more likely your air mix door or intake air door are the issue. They are controlled by the auto air computer; but most likely issue is mechanical in that the motor to one of them has failed so no warm air is mixing, or cold intake air is not being reduced.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I disagree. My daughters 97 Max temperature was right where it was supposed to be, just under the half way point and was fine until Winter when it turned cold. She had bought this car used in the Summer. It wouldn't blow any heat to amount to anything.

Thinking that maybe it was a thermostat, I decided to replace it. Took the old one out and was surprised to find, no thermostat was present at all in the housing!

Replaced thermostat, re-filled and began getting heat.

A faulty thermostat in open position, or in my case, none, will allow engine to warm but not get warm enough to blow HOT air.

Edit; Also, on an Altima (my other daughter has that one), the engine temp is fine but get a little air in the system and it will only blow hot when moving, not sitting still.

Air doesn't transfer heat as well as water does but since you say you don't get heat when moving, I would suspect thermostat.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)

Last edited by DCARLTON; 12-21-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:54 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

I still think that one of the mix doors is the more likely culprit, but a bad thermostat is also a posssibility, so give it a try.

dcarlton: How hard was it to replace the thermostat? The FSM makes it look easy, but I suspect there are things (a/c compressor?, alternator?) in the way.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

It's like everything else on that side of the engine, hard to get to but it's not real difficult. Anything on that side will try your patience! I just got through doing a water pump on my 95. You can remove more than necessary to get to the t-stat, or struggle through it and only remove what the FSM says.

The thermostat costs about $20 if my memory is correct and an easy fix if it works. It can't hurt especially if it's been a while since it was changed out or if it's never been changed an has mileage on it.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMDB View Post
Like many here, I have no heat (awful time to notice this.) Even when accelerating I have nothing. I'll set it to 85 and it'll blow hard but the air isn't warm. If I put the fan down I can tel it's lukewarmish, but so close to air temp that, when blowing hard, it isn't noticeable.

I had the radiator replaced out of state this past summer. I assume it may be connected. The car's engine temp is perfect and right where expected.

Everything I've read, though, says that if there's air in the radiator I should still get heat when accelerating. This makes no difference. Stuck thermostat? Costly?

Thanks
OMDB - Sounds like changing the thermostat is a middling hard DIY job (because of access to it) and the new thermostat plus gasket is about $30. However, that is bound to be easier/cheaper than troubleshooting/repairing the doors inside the dash. So, if the heater hoses are only warm with engine fully warmed up and heat on high, this is probably the best next step. However, if the heater hoses are both hot, that means that high temp water is circulating thru your heater core and the problem is more likely one of the air doors.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 AM
robo_geek

Trapped air can cause this.

You need to either have the system purged with a cooling system fill/purge device, or do the technique where you get the front end of the car like 3 feet in the air with the radiator cap off while adding coolant.

Three-feet in the air method:
Nissan Maxima Low Heater Output

This is a stupid design....why not add a simple bleeder screw?

Cooling system fill/purge tool:
UView 550000

Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit

UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit

Tags
acceleration, heat