Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Maxima intermittant running problem Forums > > 2000 Maxima intermittant running problem 2000 Maxima intermittant running problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Dan Barnes

Default 2000 Maxima intermittant running problem

Sorry for the long winded post in advance!

My cousins 00 maxima quit on her a few weeks back. I went to get her and noticed the car would start and idle, but would bog out whenever you tried to give it any throttle. After i limped it home and went to get my scan tool, it started running fine when I went to test it. Along with the MAF code (can't remember exact code #) it had a PO120 TPS sensor A malfunction, PO105 MAP/BARO circuit malfunction, and a P1705 manufacturer controlled transmission code. After a few days of running it to try and get it to act up again, it only briefly messed up one time. I did notice that when I (out of frustration) floored it, it would only get up to about 4000 rpm and wouldn't go any higher (Almost felt like a rev-limiter). I finally decided to S.W.A.G. (scientific wild ass guess) a new mass air flow sensor. Afterwards, it ran like a new car. Plenty of power and would peg the tach at the red line if I let it!

I thought man! car fixed! and so it seemed, at least part of the problem..

A week passes by and I get a call that the car quit and would not start back. They tow it to her house and I go over to take a look at it and it started right up and is running fine. This time the stored codes are... PO120 TPS sensor A circuit malfunction, PO105 MAP/Baro circuit malfunction, P1705 manufacturer controlled transmission, and PO172B bank 1 system too rich. Everything the same was stored as the first time except the MAF code was replaced by the PO172B. I've since driven it about 20 miles with absolutely no problems evident or codes set.

I know intermittant problems are usually a seek and find deal but I thought maybe someone has run into a similar problem that may be able to help. Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:51 PM
2015 Rogue

There are bulletins for wires breaking in the harness that goes into the car by the passenger strut tower. When it is acting up try pushing on that harness to see if it changes.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 AM
Dan Barnes

Default Update...

Well the saga continues!! I moved and wiggled the wiring harnass all over and especially where it goes from the engine to the firewall on the pass. side. I never could detect a problem when doing this.

I've driven the car every day this week to work, hoping that at least if it quit I'd be able to find out what's causing it (spark, fuel, etc). So far it hasn't skipped a beat and I drive approx. 75 miles/day round trip. The only thing that has happened, is it has during this time set a PO172B (Bank 1 system rich). Another day it set a PO175B (Bank 2 system rich). Then one day it set both codes.

I'm wondering if I may have fell victim to the out of spec aftermarket part problem. The problem occured a few weeks ago where it would idle, but would bog if you tried to accelerate. I changed the MAF (Cardone brand part) and it corrected the problem. A week later the car quits on her and has to be towed home. Then I drive it with no obvious running problems but get rich running codes now.

I don't know which direction to go at this point. Keep driving it hoping to duplicate the problem, or turn it back over to her. Man this things eating my lunch!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:33 AM
dan2009

Hi Dan, did the "bog out/ rev-limiter" problem go away after you replaced the MAF? I have the exact same problem, except in my case the care doesn't stop, and I suppose there is no code stored, since the MIL lamp is not lit.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Dan Barnes

After I replaced the MAF, it ran like a totally different car. It had tons more power and crisp throttle response. As stated in my first post, when the first problem occured, it had a MAF code,a MAP/Baro code, a TPS code, and a Manufacturer transmission control code.

I looked over the schematic and noticed that they shared 5v ref. voltage from ECM and also the 12v feed, so if one of the sensors shorts out (intermittantly?), it could be possible to set codes for other sensors. I installed a new MAF, cleared the codes, and it ran great for about a week.

This time it quit and wouldn't start back (cranks, won't run; to be specific!!). Of course when I got over there, it cranked right up. Then exact same codes were in it (except the MAF code...see first post) the first time I scanned it after it quit and wouldn't start. I've since driven it a week with no problems except an intermittant setting of PO172 and PO175 bank 1 rich, bank2 rich.

Tags
2000, intermittant, maxima, problem, running