Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Maxima: Re-program ECM for O2 sensor? Forums > > 2002 Maxima: Re-program ECM for O2 sensor? 2002 Maxima: Re-program ECM for O2 sensor?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 AM
2002 Maxima
1997 Quest

Default 2002 Maxima: Re-program ECM for O2 sensor?

Hello to all. I have an 02 Maxima that is throwing the 0139 and 1147 codes for rear Bank 1 O2 sensor. Changing the sensor is not a problem, but everywhere I look seems to keep telling me that I need to have the ECM re-programed. I just called the dealer and was told that this is not covered by any warranty. Has anyone had this issue and is there a better way to get the service light to stay off with a new o2 sensor? We wont pass an emission inspection in GA with this light on. I have learned the trick about resetting the light with the gas pedal, but not sure if it will stay off without the 105 buck re-programing. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Edster; 08-04-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 08-06-2012, 05:27 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster View Post
Hello to all. I have an 02 Maxima that is throwing the 0139 and 1147 codes for rear Bank 1 O2 sensor. Changing the sensor is not a problem, but everywhere I look seems to keep telling me that I need to have the ECM re-programed. I just called the dealer and was told that this is not covered by any warranty. Has anyone had this issue and is there a better way to get the service light to stay off with a new o2 sensor? We wont pass an emission inspection in GA with this light on. I have learned the trick about resetting the light with the gas pedal, but not sure if it will stay off without the 105 buck re-programing. Thanks in advance.
There is no need to "reprogram" anything. Once you have changed out the sensor, you just need to turn off the the CEL. Easiest way to do this is with a code reader; unhooking the battery for a couple of hours should also work. Places like Autozone and Advance used to do it pretty freely, but apparently their lawyers have got on them. Good luck.

Tags
2002, ecm, maxima, reprogram, sensor