Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
06 maxima transmission issue Forums > > 06 maxima transmission issue 06 maxima transmission issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 10-12-2010, 06:13 PM
2006 Maxima

Default 06 maxima transmission issue

Has anybody experienced the 1st to second hard shift, and how did you get it resolved, I have seen a lot of negative comments on the internet (mostly from owner who purchased their Maxima used) but I have not seen any resolutions or positive responses to this issue. I purchased new and was puzzled by there not being a serviceable filter for this model. I am leaving my vehicle with the dealer tomorrow morning for diagnostics to determine if they will cover repairs under the drivetrain warranty. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Maxowner

I have the same issue. Bought my 2006 Maxima in 2006 with 15,000 miles on it. It now has 75,000 and it started shifting hard from 1-2nd. Took it to Aamco and they determined it was shifting poorly from 1-2nd, 3-2nd and neutral. At times, it would pause when shifting from reverse to drive. I have an extended warranty which will pay for a used transmission to be installed (or let's just say Aamco won't rebuild it for $3400 - for $3400 they will put in a used tranny.) The guy at Aamco believes the cause is a faulty part, the case brushing, and that by putting in a used tranny, the problem still exists. Quite frankly, I don't know what to believe at this point.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:46 PM
mkedra

I have a 2005 Maxima SL and I'm on my third transmission now with the same problem. It's a common problem for the 04 05 and 06 that nissan refuses to do a recall on. Supposedly there is a service bulletin on it but unless your car is under warranty it will cost you around $4000 to get a new transmission from Nissan dealer. My transmission guy was going to charge me $1600 but luckily I hat 59k miles on my car at the time so it just made the warranty... From what I understand the transmission is made for a 2.5L engine and it simply cannot handle a 3.5L engine
Old 10-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Maxowner

Default Maxima transmission

Yesterday, I asked a friend who has an 07 Maxima and the hard shifting on her car just started last week. She's got about 60,000 miles. I called a local Nissan dealership and spoke with the service guy who said some of the cars have an extended warranty (to 120,000) that Nissan imposed because of a problem with "some" transmissions". Of course mine wasn't one of them.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:31 PM
2006 Maxima

Default 06 maxima

Nissan is going to replace my transmission stating internal failure, I am going to ask Nissan Consumer affairs if they will extend my drivetrain warranty, my engine was replaced at 3000 miles(no one would tell me the cause of the engine failure). The dealership had just changed the engine oil (5 minutes)prior to the engine failing.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:36 PM
2006 Maxima

Car is still under 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty so they are covering this repair. Hate to get rid of this car because I'm paying it off this year.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:09 PM
marvinnisla

Default starting to feel the jerk

i just bought my car used. it had 66000km on it. and ive been reading alot about how the car jerks when shifting into 2nd gear, and having to replace transmissions and all that. right now my car feels good and smooth. but i do notice a very minor kick when it goes into second gear. is this a sign of problems starting?!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 PM
mkedra

It might be. Mine started with a little kick and it just kept on getting worse to the point where it could cause whiplash... and this is during acceleration and while slowing down too.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM
nasdaqboom

i fixed the 1, 2 punch by cleaning the ground wires and lugs at the main connection. i do still have problems but the 1, 2 punch is gone. the problem was obvious from the start because the diagnostic equipment pointed out a mismatch in ground voltage, it just also happened to fix the tranny problem.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:57 PM
dspurdy

Angry 2006 Maxima transmission FAIL!

Our 06 Maxima's transmission gave out at 74,000 miles of normal use. Gave warning signs for about a month, then just gave out and wouldn't go into gear. It went to the dealership as this was the only place that would warranty their work. $3,000 later it has a new (rebuilt) transmission. Now we can't afford to drive the thing for a while! Contacted Nissan (1-800-Nissan1) and filed a claim, but was told they will not assist with the repair cost as we didn't have the car serviced at the dealership before the problem started. Other than oil changes, every time we had work done on this car it was done at the dealership (broken tension arm assembly due to faulty part; air conditioning fix and recharge) I don't know of anyone that takes their vehicle to the dealership to get the oil changed (every time)! Quite simply, their needs to be a recall on these vehicles and I would like to know where and how I get the ball rolling to achieve this. Class action suit, anyone? Between my wife and I, this is about our seventh Nissan/Datsun we have owned. If this isn't taken care of...it will certainly be our last. I don't want to give my hard-earned money to a company that won't own up to it's mistakes or problems.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 PM
cobradb

maxowner
all 07 i believe have cvt, and i have never seen mine shift as an 06 would, cvt has 120k warranty
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM
2006 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspurdy View Post
Our 06 Maxima's transmission gave out at 74,000 miles of normal use. Gave warning signs for about a month, then just gave out and wouldn't go into gear. It went to the dealership as this was the only place that would warranty their work. $3,000 later it has a new (rebuilt) transmission. Now we can't afford to drive the thing for a while! Contacted Nissan (1-800-Nissan1) and filed a claim, but was told they will not assist with the repair cost as we didn't have the car serviced at the dealership before the problem started. Other than oil changes, every time we had work done on this car it was done at the dealership (broken tension arm assembly due to faulty part; air conditioning fix and recharge) I don't know of anyone that takes their vehicle to the dealership to get the oil changed (every time)! Quite simply, their needs to be a recall on these vehicles and I would like to know where and how I get the ball rolling to achieve this. Class action suit, anyone? Between my wife and I, this is about our seventh Nissan/Datsun we have owned. If this isn't taken care of...it will certainly be our last. I don't want to give my hard-earned money to a company that won't own up to it's mistakes or problems.
This was my background with Nissan as well. And those were the first questions they asked me when I called (I am 1000 miles beyond warranty..sheesh).

I got my $4600 estimate for a new transmission last week. I was 1000 miles past my warranty; I called and begged Nissan Warranty for help and they flatly refused. "Did you do ALL of your service at the Nissan dealership?" What the heck should it matter where I get my oil changed??

I don't know much about transmissions but I did research the issue (thank goodness!) before going to the dealership service department. The first diagnosis was "Motor mounts". I asked the service manager if he was sure that's causing the problem, "yes, without a doubt". The same line of b.s. they've told countless others who shelled out $1100 for new motor mounts, only to drive away and realize the issue remained. This is a common theme in lemon reports & posts on automobile self-help websites.

ANYONE & EVERYONE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR 04-06 NISSAN 5-SPEED TRANSMISSION: report your issue at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ (click on 'Begin online form'). Or call the (NHTSA)National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236. The entire process takes 5 minutes. The NHTSA will mandate a recall if enough people describe the safety issues inherent with these transmission problems.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM
2006 Maxima

Default Feel Your Pain.

When Nissan replaced my engine I asked for an explanation to why it failed so soon and requested an extended warranty, no explanation and no extended warranty. I have purchased 2 new vehicles since then an neither was a Nissan.
Every vehicle has issues but when there is no service or satisfaction after the sell I tend to stay away from those products. As far as getting your Maxima serviced at the dealer, there is no serviceable filter for this transmission so it makes no sense to me they would not stand behind their failure.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
2007 Maxima

I have an 07 Maxima with 118,000 miles. I recently started noticing the jerking issues with my cvt transmission from 1-2 and 2-3 gear. I didnt realize the warranty goes to 120k.

Tags
issue, maxima, transmission