Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
07 Maxima SE Fuel Gauge Not Working Forums > > 07 Maxima SE Fuel Gauge Not Working 07 Maxima SE Fuel Gauge Not Working
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Default 07 Maxima SE Fuel Gauge Not Working

Filled up at Gas station and car battery almost dead. Car barely started. After starting, the fuel gauge pegged around to other side of empty. Next morning, car battery completely dead. Replaced battery. Fuel gauge still reading empty. I tested fuses in the car and in engine compartment. Pulled back seat out and tested for power to fuel pump and sending unit. Car starts and runs fine. I've been told by dealer that it could be combination meter aka dash. Was told to take apart the dash and manually return needle to full position. Checked for OBD2 codes with modis - no data found or history codes.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 AM
2015 Rogue

Sounds like a gauge issue. I would try the suggestion of manually moving the needle. If you doesn't work you will probably need to replace the gauge. You can get the fuel gauge speparate on some models. Not sure about the maxima.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Default how do you move gauge

Thanks for your help I need it one more time. I can take the dash out I was wondering how to return the needle, and where to return it to. Should I go to the gas station and fill it up then put the needle on full? Is there a way to use the scanner or any scanner to do activation of the gauge to make it go back? Does it matter if the ignition is on or off during the removal of cluster?And is there anything else to do after I put it back together before I start the car up? Hope im not wearing my welcome. Thanx for all your help if I can ever help you with something let me know. Jeff
Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
isabelp44

Angry 07 Maxima SL fuel gauge not working after battery replacement

I am having the exact same problem.....I replaced the battery on my 2007 Maxima SL on Saturday and now the fuel gauge is not working----it is hanging at the very bottom of the fuel screen, way below empty. I checked all the fuses and everything is fine. I was not having any problems with the fuel gauge before the battery died. HELP!!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:07 PM
isabelp44

Thumbs up Fixed!

The dealer offered NO help for this problem except telling me to bring it in so they could charge me an arm and leg to fix a very basic problem. I figured out my own fix and want to share it with EVERYONE so you can avoid unnecessary expense and frustration. When the battery went out in my car, the voltage that holds the gas gauge needle in place ceased and caused the needle to spring clockwise all the way around the wrong way and become blocked by a very small (hard to see) black peg. I was told by the dealer that the only way to fix this was to take apart the dash and manually move the needle. NO NEED!!! With the ignition off, take several small but strong magnets and stick them together. Then use them to move the needle counterclockwise back to the other side of the peg. Wait a few seconds and then start the ignition-----the needle will move back to the correct area based on the amount of fuel in your tank
Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Default thanx for your help

I got your post yesterday as I have just moved and that was taking all of my time. The gauge was haunting me for the whole time. I am a mechanic and work 10+ hours a day and as you can imagine, the last thing I want to do is work on my own. I went out to the car on my break and did the magnet trick. It was tricky, the needle kept coming off the magnet. But 10 minutes later I got it, started the car and it worked! I went to the gas station filled up and it reads correctly. Thank you for your time and help. It is good to see that people still help people with no strings attatched. I am greatful. If you ever need help dont hesitate to ask. Thanks again, and take it easy. Jeff
Old 10-08-2010, 04:51 AM
isabelp44

Glad it worked for you too! I am always happy to help someone else out, especially in this case because it drove me nuts for over a week!! I'm glad I could help you out. Beth
Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Have a great weekend and thanx again, Jeff
Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 AM
earlofrose

Smile Thanks

I had the same issue after taking the car in for a repair. After finding a magnet strong enough, I was able to fix this in under a minute.

Last edited by earlofrose; 10-08-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: grammar readability
Old 10-24-2010, 04:26 PM
dutch8010

Default Need Help Too

I have exactly the same problem. Can you describe more about this solution with a magnet? Do you have to take the instrument cluster out. Magnet applied to the front or back of the gauge? How do you get it close enough with the plastic cover on the front of the gauge. My needle looks plastic, to what is the magnet applied to? Thanks so much for saving a trip to the dealer.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
earlofrose

Default describe more about this solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch8010 View Post
I have exactly the same problem. Can you describe more about this solution with a magnet? Do you have to take the instrument cluster out. Magnet applied to the front or back of the gauge? How do you get it close enough with the plastic cover on the front of the gauge. My needle looks plastic, to what is the magnet applied to? Thanks so much for saving a trip to the dealer.
I'm not sure what part of the needle is magnetic, but you can see it react to even a fairly small magnet. Just rub the magnet against the plastic cover on the front of the gauge near the needle and you can see the needle wiggle. I used a magnet toy I have at work that's used to stack little metal people up to.

To get the needle to flip over, I did have to purchase a magnet strong enough. I got a craftsman telescoping magnet similar to this one.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Once I had a magnet powerful enough, it flipped over in seconds. Keep in mind that due to the polarity of the magnet and needle, you may have "push" the needle rather than "pull" it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:24 AM
dutch8010

Default It works!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I tried what was supposed to be a strong magnet and I could make the needle move, but I couldn't get the magnet close enough to swing the needle all the way around. Then I got two stronger magnets, for holding posters to a magnetic wall, and moved the first one, then the second on along the side of the gauge and the needle swung right back to where it was supposed to be. I did take the covers off the combination meter to get the magnets closer to the gauge, but with a strong enough magnet, I'm not sure that's necessary.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM
2007 Maxima

I have the same problem. The fuel gauge went around the wrong way. Tried the magnet trick, but the needle moves just little on the opposite direction of the magnet. What I only did was to scratch the plastic. What am I doing wrong?Need your help!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:23 PM
dutch8010

I moved the needle along the side of the gauge (where the needle points to if it's in the correct position) rather than the front of the gauge. (I was worried about scratching the plastic). If you try that and the needle only moves a little, you need a bigger/stronger magnet. I also found that two magnets worked better than one. I slid the first magnet along the side of the gauge from top to bottom, making the needle move counter-clockwise about half way up the wrong side. I held the first magnet at the bottom and then started the second magnet along the same path. The needle went the rest of the way around. Hope that helps!
Old 12-19-2010, 02:04 PM
2007 Maxima

Thumbs up It really works!

Thanks for your help! I found a strong magnet and tried it today, it worked. The needle just went like nothing to the correct side. I already pump gas & gauge is working fine. Thanks a million.

Tags
fuel, gauge, maxima, working