Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Ignition Coils Keep Failing Forums > > Ignition Coils Keep Failing Ignition Coils Keep Failing
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Maxima

Thumbs up Ignition Coils Keep Failing

FYI- If you have a problem where an ignition coil or multiple ignition coils fail and when you replace them they fail shortly after, you may have a grounding issue. Therefore, check your ignition coil grounds and check your negative battery terminal and associated wiring.

My problem started where my car started sputtering/jerking as if I had a fuel delivery problem. A few minutes later the check engine light came on and had the P0300 and P0301 codes. The dealer found a bad ignition coil and replaced it but the exact same symptoms showed up less than a day later. After finding that somone on this forum had a similar problem (even though they had a 97 and I have a 2004) that turned out to be a grounding wire located in their strut tower, I immediately notified the mechanic to check for grounding issues. As a result, my mechanic found a broken negative battery terminal cable.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast
2000 Maxima

I real double that the broken negative cable to the battery terminal is the reason to damage to ignition coil.The ignition coil like a small transformer,contain primary coil and secondary coil.The primary coil supple with 12 v on and off and generate much high voltage in secondary coil and make spark.If the 12v supply disturb due to the battery negative poor connection will not burn or short the primary or secondary of coil then can not damage to the coil.Only not work properly.By the way if the negative terminal broke the whole electrical system will be involve.You wast money just change the good coils.Ignition coil damage by aging.

Last edited by wau; 08-16-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wau View Post
I real double that the broken negative cable to the battery terminal is the reason to damage to ignition coil.The ignition coil like a small transformer,contain primary coil and secondary coil.The primary coil supple with 12 v on and off and generate much high voltage in secondary coil and make spark.If the 12v supply disturb due to the battery negative poor connection will not burn or short the primary or secondary of coil then can not damage to the coil.Only not work properly.By the way if the negative terminal broke the whole electrical system will be involve.You wast money just change the good coils.Ignition coil damage by aging.
Actually you are wrong. There is a tsb for this incident and I have seen it several times. The negative cable connects to the inner fender and to the transmission case. When it breaks off the transmission the electrical system still functions because the components ground through the body. It creates higher resistance in the circuit and melts the coils and occasionaly the ecm.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast
2000 Maxima

Default MPE235;due to disconnect the negative cable to transmission it create higher resistan

Sorry I don't get it.According to simple Ohm's law I=V/R, if coil is R1 and the poor connection result is R2 it will be I=V/R1+R2 V=I(R1+R2)=IR1+IR2 Watts=Volt x Amp, jous(energy)=watts x period(time) from here you can see the whole energy will be devide to R1 and R2 .how could it melt the R1.

Last edited by wau; 08-17-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

My money is on the Grand Wizards of Nissan....For as long as i can remember grounds has been an issue with the Maxie's.Follow the tsb and all should be fine.If aftermarket coils were used then they themselves may be the fault.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:48 AM
2008 Pathfinder
2005 Altima Sedan

I have Nissan Pathfinder 2008, 6 Cylinder 4 x 4 model. Ignition Coils are going bad again and again. Mechanics Checked the ECU and found nothing. I am surprised that all the coils are getting bad one after another and even the replaced one also.
one of the electrician told me to change the Computer Box and it will be fine.
Can anyone share the experience of same trouble with solution?
Old 05-20-2016, 06:06 AM
2008 Pathfinder
2005 Altima Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
Actually you are wrong. There is a tsb for this incident and I have seen it several times. The negative cable connects to the inner fender and to the transmission case. When it breaks off the transmission the electrical system still functions because the components ground through the body. It creates higher resistance in the circuit and melts the coils and occasionaly the ecm.
I did check and found the Negative Battery Terminal not tighten. I did that and my can ran for 6 months without any coil problem.
Again after 06 months, the Pathfinder is eating up the coils. all the connections are good. can you please suggest something
Old 05-20-2016, 06:25 AM
2008 Pathfinder
2005 Altima Sedan

I have NISSAN Pathfinder 2008, 4.0 Litres, 6 Cylinders. Six months ago, 08 Coils burnt in 3 days. I found Negative Battery Terminal loose and changed the Battery and fixed that. Car worked fine for 06 months.
Now again I have same issue. 03 coils burnt, changed, after 4 days now 04 coils burnt. changed all 04, gave second direct ground to Engine. Started the engine, 02 coils gone with in 01 min.
Can anyone suggest the solution?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast
1995 Maxima

Question

coil is an energy storage, therefore it needs a good path for the current (energy) to flow through or when the spark plug (sp) needs to fire (spark=energy). otherwise it will self destruct. suggest you do:
1. use good quality sp & coils.
2. install sp with correct gap & properly torque. (prolonged used of defective sp may shorten the life of the coil.)
3. all groundings are good. it may not be bad if you could install additional ground conductors from the negative terminal of the battery to the cylinder head.(valve cover may not be ideal, there's gasket between the cylinder head & the valve cover.) the sp's are screwed into the cylinder head.
4. verify the output voltage of the alternator. (it may be too high.) some auto parts stores will do free testing.

please re-post whatever you had done to correct the problem.

Last edited by OilCanObserver; 06-30-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Tags
coils, failing, ignition