Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Maxima...ABS/SLIP/TCSOFF/BRAKE lights and brakes make grinding noise after 15min Forums > > 2005 Maxima...ABS/SLIP/TCSOFF/BRAKE lights and brakes make grinding noise after 15min 2005 Maxima...ABS/SLIP/TCSOFF/BRAKE lights and brakes make grinding noise after 15min
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 07-07-2010, 08:03 AM
198four

Default 2005 Maxima...ABS/SLIP/TCSOFF/BRAKE lights and brakes make grinding noise after 15min

I just bought this piece of crap and having issues with it already.

First, brakes work fine for about 15 - 20 minutes, after that, they start making grinding noise when I brake on low speeds.

Second problem is that, ABS/SLIP/TCS OFF/BRAKE lights come on every few minutes on the dash.

Third, SLIP light blinks even when I make small turns and it feels as if the car turned off eventhough it's on.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
2015 Rogue

You have a problem with the rear abs sensors. Get it fixed asap or it will get very expensive. They can damage the abs controller which cost $1300.00 just for the part.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
198four

I'm guessing you mean fixed as in get it replaced?

And which side is it? Rear passenger side or rear driver side?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
198four

I got a reading from the mechanic and he said ABS MODULE needs to needs to be changed. Was he right or just trying to rip me off? Dont you have to change the ABS module only if the ABS/SLIP/VDC lights are constantly on? Mine go on and off.

Also, my odometer stopped working today. RPM meter works fine. Just the odometer won;t work. Sometimes it starts working itself.

Last edited by 198four; 07-07-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:52 PM
mkedra

Had the same grinding, ended up replacing my ABS pump... my advice is get rid of the car before your transmission goes, I'm on my third one and it seems to be a common problem with the 04-06 maximas
Old 05-10-2011, 09:37 AM
drizzy

I'm having the same problem, I recently bought a 2005 Maxima SL
just after 3 months I started getting this humming/vibration sound and when I braked I would get this loud grinding sound. I had my rotors machined, then I also changed my brake pads, but still the same thing. I brought it to a mechanic and was told my rear wheel caliber was faulty and that it was causing my wheel sensor not to read correctly and they replaced it.

It worked fine for about a week, then all of a sudden the slip light would blink very quickly, if your not looking you might not even notice it.

Then the ABS and VDC light would turn on and the grinding noise kick in, but this time it would only happen once, it doesn't make the grinding sound again after that, but the lights are all on in the dashboard.

What do I need to do to fix this problem any suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited by drizzy; 05-10-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 AM
198four

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzy View Post
I'm having the same problem, I recently bought a 2005 Maxima SL
just after 3 months I started getting this humming/vibration sound and when I braked I would get this loud grinding sound. I had my rotors machined, then I also changed my brake pads, but still the same thing. I brought it to a mechanic and was told my rear wheel caliber was faulty and that it was causing my wheel sensor not to read correctly and they replaced it.

It worked fine for about a week, then all of a sudden the slip light would blink very quickly, if your not looking you might not even notice it.

Then the ABS and VDC light would turn on and the grinding noise kick in, but this time it would only happen once, it doesn't make the grinding sound again after that, but the lights are all on in the dashboard.

What do I need to do to fix this problem any suggestions.

Thanks
If your VDC/BRAKE etc lights are not on permanently then I would advise you to stop driving your car immediately because this means that your system is still intact and most probably you will only end up spending few hundred dollars. They will probably replace your sensor and do a cleanup of the hub. if the lights are on permanently then most probably you've blown your ABS assembly which will cost you close to 2000 bucks if you get it done from a dealership. I'd recommend you get this done from your dealer eventhough they will charge you a bit more. I wasted so much money taking my car to local mechanics who had no idea what the real problem was...took it to the dealer and the issue was resolved. Never buying a Nissan again. This was my second maxima with electrical problems.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:37 AM
drizzy

Thanks a lot I've already spent a little over $800 on things that didn't fix the problem,
from getting rotors machined, to getting new brake pads and changing the wheel caliber.
I will never get another Nissan again after this problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 PM
198four

[GVIDEO][/GVIDEO]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzy View Post
Thanks a lot I've already spent a little over $800 on things that didn't fix the problem,
from getting rotors machined, to getting new brake pads and changing the wheel caliber.
I will never get another Nissan again after this problem.
Rotors, brakes etc are not the problem. The problem is the dust that accumulates in the hub which blocks the speed sensor from detecting the wheel speed properly. Its a purely design issue but Nissan is a douche for not taking complete responsibility for it and charging people for their own fault. They can easily be sued for this. I wish I had enough resources to sue them. Just take it to the dealer you'll save a lot of headache. Get the problem fixed and sell the car. No Nissans for me ever again either.

Tags
15min, 2005, brakes, grinding, lights, make, noise