Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 Maxima - No Start problem Forums > > 2006 Maxima - No Start problem 2006 Maxima - No Start problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
ArmyGuy123

Default 2006 Maxima - No Start problem

A No Start problem just began for my 2006 Maxima. Battery has a good charge, and when I try to start all I get is a rapid click, click, click, click. Dash lights and windows work fine. I thought it might be the starter, but it starts up just fine if I get a jump start. Once I got the jump it ran fine with no issues for one week, then same problem occurred this morning. Got a jump and ran fine all day.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast
1995 Maxima

suspect the alternator

clip your voltmeter across the battery terminals.

1. take voltage reading & record

start engine with or without jumper, then remove the jumper after engine had started.

2. take voltage reading & record
a. voltage = to step 1 reading?
b. voltage = 13+

3. while engine is running, turn on heavy electrical loads (headlights, a/c, etc.)
a. voltage approx. = 14+ --- alternator is Good
b. voltage = step 1 or lower --- alternator is Bad
c. voltage = step 2b or lower --- alternator is Bad -- this may not "turn on" the "battery light" in the dash. diode/s in the the alternator could be opened or shorted. replace alternator or the bad diode/s.
Diode (or rectifier) is used to convert ac to dc. it is a device that allows one way flow of current (similar to a check valve), from the alternator to the battery. opened diode = no flow of current. shorted diode will let electric current flow either way (will not convert ac to dc).
suspect that your alternator has shorted diode/s, when the engine is turned off the alternator will become a load to the battery, hence the battery will be discharged, that's why you need to jump start. unless the car has other issue/s, (eg. phantom drain) replacing a defective alternator alone will not totally eliminate the problem.

(if you don't have a voltmeter: take it to autozone (or similar auto parts store who will do free testing) & perform steps 2 & 3.

please let us know whatever you have done to correct.

Last edited by OilCanObserver; 05-15-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:27 PM
opm

I have the same problem with a 95 maxima, but jump start doesn't start it. Battery is good and has new spark plugs...suspecting the fuel pump, but I need a professional opinion. Thanks

Tags
2006, maxima, problem, start