Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
P0400 on a 1999 Maxima Forums > > P0400 on a 1999 Maxima P0400 on a 1999 Maxima
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 AM
2001 Maxima
1999 Maxima

Default P0400 on a 1999 Maxima

I have read several post concerning this issue but I thought I would ask for some advice about what I should do next.
My BIL's 1999 Maxima had a MIL on with a P0400. I removed and cleaned the valve, intake and exhaust tube. Re-installed the valve and cleared the codes. The EGR monitor would not "complete" on my scanner. After a few hours of driving the MIL and P0400 returned. I then replaced the valve with a new (autozone) valve. The EGR monitor immediately "completed" and the MIL stayed off for about a week of driving. Now the MIL and P0400 are back. Any advice on what I should do next? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Check the egr temp sensor if this year has one. The temp sensor maybe indicating an improper voltage.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:48 PM
ardenmann

To fix this just open what ever it takes to get to the intake manifold. DO NOT REMOVE intake manifold but to the point where you can see it after you take the rubber piece off. You would see a small hole on the right side bottom corner and also look outside of intake manifold to verify that EGR valve is connected to that point. You will not not see the hole inside the manifold because of gum buildup. Just take carb cleaner and clean it out. you will have to remove the egr valve as well. keep patience and keep cleaning till you have cleared the passage. put it back together and you are done unless your EGR valve is bad.
It took me 2 hours +.

the idea is that the passage from the manifold to the EGR valve is closed due to build up of gum. Remove it and you saved your self $.

Tags
1999, maxima, p0400