Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Maxima transmission dipstick check Forums > > 2004 Maxima transmission dipstick check 2004 Maxima transmission dipstick check
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 06-04-2007, 11:26 AM
rickdevine

Default 2004 Maxima transmission dipstick check

The manual states that a dealer must check the ATF fluid level on the dip stick of the 5 speed. Does anyone know how to read the dip stick?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:27 AM
rickdevine

please adivse
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
2015 Rogue

It reads just like any other dipstick. Has markings on it for the level. You have to push a little tab in to remove it.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 PM
express0715

I have a question. Can you check the transmission fluid levels without pulling out the dipstick?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:51 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by express0715 View Post
I have a question. Can you check the transmission fluid levels without pulling out the dipstick?
No. The dipstick is what you use to check the fluid level.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:36 PM
express0715

Thank you. I knew this to be true. But the Nissan dealer told me that they only check for quantity and not quality, and that it is possible to have burnt transmission fluid in a short time span. You see I've been denied "goodwill" claim to replace my transmission after I had my last oil changed at 71K miles and had them check my transmission because of "rough down shifting". The Good will rep denied because I did not do any the "warranty service". The manual says that it's to be checked not replaced unless you pay for "premium" service. I've escalated twice since then and they all say the same thing. No warranty work. The Parts Manager, who i personally know, said that Nissan has a criteria I basically didn't meet them I didn't purchase my Maxima there. They said (the dealership) that I would not be a repeat Nissan customer. Mind you, from day one I've done ALL of my oil changes at the dealership with "Multi-point inspections" that clearly states that they checked my fluids. I have had 3 other Nissan vehicles. I think that proves that I'm loyal. I think the fact that I am a woman and don't know much about mechanical issues but me at a great disadvantage to argue with them. On another thread rmarton says that he was approved for "goodwill" repairs on his and he also did not do transmission warranty service. What is really funny is I had my transmission fluid was replaced by a local mechanic and he said it was burnt really bad.(1k miles later) I believe the only way this could have gone from burnt to really burnt is MAYBE the dealership never checked my fluids and they topped them off, which I believe made matters worse. I wondering if I'm off base to assume this?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:54 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Thank you. I knew this to be true. But the Nissan dealer told me that they only check for quantity and not quality, and that it is possible to have burnt transmission fluid in a short time span. You see I've been denied "goodwill" claim to replace my transmission after I had my last oil changed at 71K miles and had them check my transmission because of "rough down shifting". The Good will rep denied because I did not do any the "warranty service". The manual says that it's to be checked not replaced unless you pay for "premium" service. I've escalated twice since then and they all say the same thing. No warranty work. The Parts Manager, who i personally know, said that Nissan has a criteria I basically didn't meet them I didn't purchase my Maxima there. They said (the dealership) that I would not be a repeat Nissan customer. Mind you, from day one I've done ALL of my oil changes at the dealership with "Multi-point inspections" that clearly states that they checked my fluids. I have had 3 other Nissan vehicles. I think that proves that I'm loyal. I think the fact that I am a woman and don't know much about mechanical issues but me at a great disadvantage to argue with them. On another thread rmarton says that he was approved for "goodwill" repairs on his and he also did not do transmission warranty service. What is really funny is I had my transmission fluid was replaced by a local mechanic and he said it was burnt really bad.(1k miles later) I believe the only way this could have gone from burnt to really burnt is MAYBE the dealership never checked my fluids and they topped them off, which I believe made matters worse. I wondering if I'm off base to assume this?
Do you know if you have a 4 or 5 speed automatic transmission? If it is the 5 speed your mechanic may have used the wrong fluid. It requires Nissan matic k which is only available from the dealer.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 PM
express0715

I don't know what I have. But he used Nissan Matic-K.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:24 AM
express0715

Does anyone know why transmission fluid would burn so fast? Mind you, I live and drive in SF Bay area where the weather is not to hot or cold. I do in-city driving, about 12k miles a year. I regularly get my oil changes at the Nissan dealer. Did I have false hopes in believing that they would give me a heads up on transmission issues?? Wouldn't the "multi-point inspections" catch the burnt transmission? Is there a possibility that my fluid was not checked and it burnt or take the dealer response of "yes transmission can go out in a matter of a short time span with clutch material" (with in 3500 miles)?? Aren't these transmission under normal driving conditions suppose to last 100K miles? If my local mechanic did not find and flakes in my old transmission fluid why else could of caused it to burn?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Does anyone know why transmission fluid would burn so fast? Mind you, I live and drive in SF Bay area where the weather is not to hot or cold. I do in-city driving, about 12k miles a year. I regularly get my oil changes at the Nissan dealer. Did I have false hopes in believing that they would give me a heads up on transmission issues?? Wouldn't the "multi-point inspections" catch the burnt transmission? Is there a possibility that my fluid was not checked and it burnt or take the dealer response of "yes transmission can go out in a matter of a short time span with clutch material" (with in 3500 miles)?? Aren't these transmission under normal driving conditions suppose to last 100K miles? If my local mechanic did not find and flakes in my old transmission fluid why else could of caused it to burn?
The matic k fluid smells burnt when it is new.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 AM
express0715

The only explanation i have for my transmission fluid to burn is that MAYBE Nissan when changing my oil did not check my levels and it burned. Is this possible? Why else would my transmission fluid burn?? I drive in normal weather conditions, I don't have a leak in my coolant, there was not flakes in the fluid when changed. Manufacture warranty says to inspect fluids. Isn't it the same inspection when I get my oil changed?? I get my oil changed every 3500 miles. What could have happened between oil changes?

Tags
2004, check, dipstick, maxima, transmission