Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
'99 Maxima clutch bleeding Forums > > '99 Maxima clutch bleeding '99 Maxima clutch bleeding
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 11-14-2009, 03:19 PM
tlbdm3

Default '99 Maxima clutch bleeding

where is the slave cylinder?
Old 11-14-2009, 04:13 PM
2015 Rogue

Mounted to the transmission case.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 PM
LOWSAT1

How do I bleed the clutch slave cylinder on my 1999 maxima and where is it located?

Last edited by LOWSAT1; 06-23-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

The clutch slave is mounted on the transmission on the drivers side of the engine compartment. You will need to remove most of the air intake piping from the front of the car to the air filter housing to get at it. There are two bleed valves; one on the slave itself and one on a junction box on the shock tower. I have no idea why the arrangement is like this instead of a direct line from the clutch master - but there it is. Good luck; I have always found that bleeding this clutch system is a PITA.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 AM
LOWSAT1

Thank you very much for the quick answer. I really appreciate your help!! I will start on it this PM. What bleed valve is the better one to use? It will easier to use the top one, if you recommend to do so. I had found a large bleed valve between the top of the shock tower and the air filter box, but I was not sure what it was for, since the I could not see where the metal line going to it came from. I have not been able to find where the brake fluid leak is, which is a puzzle?
Excuse my ignorance- What is a "PITA"?
Thanks again.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWSAT1 View Post
Thank you very much for the quick answer. I really appreciate your help!! I will start on it this PM. What bleed valve is the better one to use? It will easier to use the top one, if you recommend to do so. I had found a large bleed valve between the top of the shock tower and the air filter box, but I was not sure what it was for, since the I could not see where the metal line going to it came from. I have not been able to find where the brake fluid leak is, which is a puzzle?
Excuse my ignorance- What is a "PITA"?
Thanks again.
The clutch hydraulic line runs from the master to that box on the shock tower, then to the slave on the transmission. Have NO IDEA why it's like that instead of direct. Been awhile, but I believe that you bleed the one on the shock tower first, then the one out on the slave. Make SURE the master does not run out of fluid. Why are you bleeding in the first place? Need to find and fix leak first. PITA = pain in the a**.

Last edited by bobflood; 02-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM
LOWSAT1

Clutch worked fine one day. Next day after 10 mile trip car was parked for 8 hrs and when I returned, clutch pedal went to floor. I can't see where leak is without jacking car up. Unless you advise differently I will bleed from top valve and see if I can find the leak. Possibly if I jack car up I might find the leak after bleeding. What do you advise?

Last edited by LOWSAT1; 06-24-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: I forgot to send this to bobflood
Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWSAT1 View Post
Clutch worked fine one day. Next day after 10 mile trip car was parked for 8 hrs and when I returned, clutch pedal went to floor. I can't see where leak is without jacking car up. Unless you advise differently I will bleed from top valve and see if I can find the leak. Possibly if I jack car up I might find the leak after bleeding. What do you advise?
I assume that cylinder reservoir was empty. Not many places for fluid to go - a break or bad joint in the line; past the seal in the master; past the seal in the slave are most likely. Re the line, look at where the hard line joins the flexible line down near the slave - both those joints are suseptible to leaks. I have also heard that the flexible part of the line itself can erode over time and start to leak. Look around the rubber boot on the slave and see if it is full of fluid (should not be) and/or there is fluid leaking out around the operating rod that pushed on the clutch yoke. Look for the same thing under the dash where the master operating rod comes out thru the firewall and joins to the clutch pedal. Either would indicate that fluid is leaking past the internal seal.

I can send you the "clutch" section of the FSM if you send me an email address.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM
1999 Maxima
2006 Altima

I could use the clutch FSM. I need to know what the part (hose with bracket) is called that goes from the slave cylinder down to the engine mount. I have a leak where the rubber hose is crimped to the metal collar. I just replaced the slave cylinder only to see fluid weeping from the hose.
[email protected]
Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneguy View Post
I could use the clutch FSM. I need to know what the part (hose with bracket) is called that goes from the slave cylinder down to the engine mount. I have a leak where the rubber hose is crimped to the metal collar. I just replaced the slave cylinder only to see fluid weeping from the hose.
[email protected]
Unfortunately, FSM won't help much, but I will send. I have one and it doesn't really show the lines, other than one picture when it describes bleed process. This is a link to a Nissan parts website that lists the parts, but unfortunately no illustration:
http://www.partswebsite.com/nissanpa...=11&type=parts

You probably want the "Flex Hose, w/o bracket" but hard to be sure w/o a picture. One thought - go to your local dealers parts department, have them pull up picture, and see what they call the part.

Or go aftermarket. Check out this link for a "full lenght" hose from master all the way to slave. I bought one and hope to install in the next few weeks.
http://www.racetechperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=310-0154-42
They also have the short link to replace the OEM part only.
http://www.racetechperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RNC%2D210
Good luck.

Last edited by bobflood; 02-09-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Tags
bleeding, clutch, clutch failure, maxima, slave valve