Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Maxima with rough idle Forums > > 2000 Maxima with rough idle 2000 Maxima with rough idle
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 11-29-2006, 04:42 PM
kaaheard

Default 2000 Maxima with rough idle

I the original owner and have 133K miles and have had a lot of problems with my car. The service engine soon light will come on soon after a the engine idles roughlyfor a few minutes. The light will go off after a few hundred miles. I just had one ignition coil replaced, but that did not solve the problem. Now the car is running rougher and louder. When it does idle rough the engine light will flash! I do not do my own repairs and have been taken advantage of at the dealership! Please help!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Welcome to Nissanhelp.com forums!

It sound like anther coil is bad. Is very common to more than one bad coil.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM
2015 Rogue

I reccommend replacing all 6 coils at the same time.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:02 PM
kaaheard

the mechanic told me that 8 codes came up on the diagnostic. He looked at the computer and said someone had put a computer on the car that was not from Nissan. The wires were not connected properly and causing havoc. He said this was causing the ignition coils to short out. Does this sound reasonable? He is charging $1300 to replace the computer. However, when he cleared the codes the car has been running well and consuming less gas (for the time being). The engine noise has been louder than usual though.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
2012 GTR
2004 s/c 4x4 frontier

sounds like you need to find another mechanic to me. the coils are known to go bad on these cars. i bet you do not need a computer. what were the code numbers. if i knew what the numbers were i could tll you what they mean. the computer cannot short out the coils. $1300.00 is alittle steep on price.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 AM
kaaheard

You may be right. The mechanic initially told me it was 8 codes last week, but did not specify which ones. Today he said it was P1320.

Would the ignition coils cause the car to use more gas?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:47 PM
flutie845

Yes your car will use more gas with bad coil.I replace one coil 7 weeks ago now I think I have another one going bad.My car will missfire some times & then quit for weeks at a time.Take it to autozone and see if they can get a code mine was p306 thats # 6 coil. I allso had code p1320 that means ignition coils.If you need more email me [email protected]
Old 07-27-2007, 06:38 AM
LBC-CarClub

I was told by the Dealer that there was no way to tell witch Coil was going bad when I had the coil code come up on my 2000 Maxima. So I just cleared the code, and did not replace any of them to see if the code came back. It did not, so don’t know what caused the code to come up. This happened about 5 years ago. And I still have the original coils in it. It currently has just over 125,000mi on it…

Last edited by NissanTech; 08-01-2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Font size again.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2007 Versa
2007 versa

i would recomend you replace all 6 coils also.
if you had a code like p0306 then maybe you might try #6 cylinder only,but without a code like that you can't tell which cylinder it is.

p1320 is primary ign most likely a coil but could be a wiring harness.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 PM
kiabeauty

i had a similar problem a couple weeks ago when I idle the car would shut off I had to get a new air mass sensor and cost around 250 for the part 100 for labor
Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 PM
maytez1978

Default engine misfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutie845 View Post
Yes your car will use more gas with bad coil.I replace one coil 7 weeks ago now I think I have another one going bad.My car will missfire some times & then quit for weeks at a time.Take it to autozone and see if they can get a code mine was p306 thats # 6 coil. I allso had code p1320 that means ignition coils.If you need more email me [email protected]

Carl59,

I have a 1999 Maxima SE that misfire, hestitate, and rough idling. This problem started when the car was around 25K miles. The misfire comes and goes. End up replacing ignition coil #5 at around 35K miles. Car ran fine until around 58K miles. Coils are okay. Replaced EGR valve (P040) recently (84K), but did not clean the EGR pipe, too difficult to get to. Now at 85K the engine is hestitating or misfire at idle, even in park. I used the K&N air filter at around 5K, I read some discussion in the forum said the aftermarket air filter may cause the engine problem down the road. How is your car running? Did you ever get your car fixed.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:35 PM
rwschlotz

Default coils?

Might want to try replacing all of the ignition coils, i just changed all of mine with 180K on it and it no longer gives me the rough idle while in drive or park. I found the coils for $50 a piece at rock auto.com and changed them out myself. It is very easy to do. good luck

Tags
2000, idle, maxima, rough