Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Maxima Starter Removal/Installation Forums > > Maxima Starter Removal/Installation Maxima Starter Removal/Installation
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Default Maxima Starter Removal/Installation

Removal:

1: Disconnect negative battery terminal.

2: Remove intake assembly. (Remove everything up to the throttle body).

3: Detach harness protector that is above the starter and to the left of the battery.

4: Disconnect starter harness connecting the start solenoid to the power supply wire using a 12MM socket or open ended wrench.

5: Loosen upper 14MM bolt with a deep 14MM socket and 3/8” or 1/2" drive. Requires some force to be removed.

6: Loosen and remove lower 17MM bolt with deep 17MM socket or a 17MM socket and extension. This requires a lot of force to remove.

7: Pull starter away from engine at a slight downward and away angle. This requires some maneuvering to remove from the engine as there is little room to work with. Removal of the battery may help in this situation.

Installation:

1: Put start back in place using the reverse order of removal instructions. Be sure to finger tighten all bolts before tightening them down all the way!! Use the deep sockets to get the bolts started. Finger tighten 14MM, 17MM, and 12MM bolts. Tighten 12MM bolt connecting the power harness to ½ turn more than finger tight or per the required torque specification. The 14MM and 17MM bolts tighten with a large amount of force.

Step 2: Re-install harness protector.

Step 3: Re-install intake.

Step 4: Reconnect negative battery terminal.
Attached Thumbnails
Maxima Starter Removal/Installation-figure1-gif  

Last edited by NissanTech; 11-28-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:27 PM
kbassi

i replaced starter the car turned on a few times and then back to itself i think someone has been messing with it but it doesnt start on demand battery is fine starter is fine what wiring can i check or what can possibly be wrong ?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:43 AM

1997 Maxima GLE

Good Post I Can Use This Help
Old 05-06-2007, 11:26 AM
flutie845

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbassi View Post
i replaced starter the car turned on a few times and then back to itself i think someone has been messing with it but it doesnt start on demand battery is fine starter is fine what wiring can i check or what can possibly be wrong ?
I had the same problem on 2000 maxima.I replaced the starter and a few days later the cor would not turn over.Then I notice some corrison on the hot cables below the black plastic where the two cables connect to.After cleaning both of them I have not had a problem.I now dont think I every need a starter.This was 6 months ago and the car stell starts fine.So check where your cables connect to that black plastic before the battery post.Carl
Old 02-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Big_Bird

When removing the starter, would you recomend going from the top or jacking it up and going from the bottom?

Also where would have an OEM starter? Or should I go with an aftermarket?
Old 02-23-2008, 06:17 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird View Post
When removing the starter, would you recomend going from the top or jacking it up and going from the bottom?

Also where would have an OEM starter? Or should I go with an aftermarket?
It should be easier to get from the top. Usually only the dealer will have an oem part. You can go with aftermarket they are usually a little cheaper. Just remember that the cheapest one probably won't last long. You don't really want to have to replace it twice.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
rlwisdom22

I am having a problem with my 2000 maxima...I think it is the starter as the battery is fine. Which wire are you referring to when you say "Then I notice some corrison on the hot cables below the black plastic where the two cables connect to."? Where is the black plastic you are talking about? Thank you
Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
ppctx

Very nice, thanks for the write-up! I am in a pinch and needed this how-to.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Moe99

Nice write up but is there any pictures that will show details for the starter removal? Can I assuming this is for a 1997 Maxima?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM
ace741

Found this very helpful website with color pictures and arrows. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2076435
Old 10-02-2016, 10:04 PM
2001 Maxima

Default Harness protector - how to remove

Nice thread, I was able to remove everything except the harness protector above the starter (2001 Maxima). The plastic part seems to be locked really well. How should I disengage it?
Old 04-08-2017, 11:28 PM
2000 Maxima

Default Disconnecting the starter solenoid connector

Dear jj8282:

During my starter replacement, I have the same situation with the wiring harness protector above the starter being tightly locked in. Were you able to remove it?

Other persons and I currently believe you do not have to remove this protector to successfully complete a starter replacement. However, I believe removing or displacing it would make the replacement easier by creating more workspace.

What worked for you with:
1. properly disconnecting the starter solenoid (to battery) connector (i.e. breaking it)?
2. removing the smaller starter bolt (14mm)?

Since several vehicle parts, tubings, and wiring harnesses are now visible, I am inspecting them:
- What are the exact names for the 2 tubes/wiring harnesses crossing above the starter? (see red arrows in attached photo)

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Maxima Starter Removal/Installation-vehicle-repair-g0012175-blue-red-arrows-questions-w-nhc-2017-3-30-jpg  

Tags
maxima, removal or installation, starter