Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Driver window won't go up Forums > > Driver window won't go up Driver window won't go up
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 07-13-2009, 06:10 PM
kmulcahy

Question Driver window won't go up

Is it a fluke or do 2000 Maxima's have any electric window switch or motor malfunction reputation? I had no warning, just put it down and now it won't go up. All the other windows work fine and the light on the switch lights up so I'm guessing it's the motor. Is this a big deal, medium deal or little deal to have repaired?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 AM
lmf

it could either be the switch, (simple repair) motor (big repair) or rail (big repair). If u hear a noise when u try to put up the window it is most like the rail.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmf View Post
it could either be the switch, (simple repair) motor (big repair) or rail (big repair). If u hear a noise when u try to put up the window it is most like the rail.
I agree with lmf.

Do you have any experience how to do electrical testing? If you do I can walk you through the test to verified what exactly is the problem.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
kmulcahy

There's absolutely no sound and I had no warning or difficulty before it just died after I put it down. I'm hoping that rules out the rail but it doesn't rule out the motor (my fear) Thanks for responding.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
2003 Maxima

I've had to replaced the driver side motor twice on my 2003 Max in the past two years. The first motor I ordered from CarQuest about $130.00 with a one year warranty, it went bad during that time so they replaced it for free. The replacement motor still didn't want to roll up the widow all the way, so i was told to replace the widow regulator $55.00 NAPA did that and it still didn't work, I stopped by the dealer and they were kind enought to check that power was getting to the switch with a test light it was getting power so the only thing that I could be was that the replacement motor was bad CarQuest returned my money. The only place in my area that I could find one was thru LKQ it was a window regulator and motor for $75.00 with a 6 month warranty. After having watched the mechanic change it the first time I realized that it was something that I could do myself. The only problem I had was making sure I had the correct tools. 10mm socket wrench? forgive me for not knowing the proper names as I'm a woman and not a mechnic. A safe container to put the screws in and duct tape to hold up the window. If by chance you lose a screw you can buy a replacement part at most hardware stores I think the size is 6.1 screw bolts. There is also a diagram in the service bullentin section. My total cost was $75.00 for window regulator and motor. Priceless the rewarding feeling of doing it all by myself.The repair shop will charge extra for the parts and in my area $65.00 per hour labor. I think it took me all of about 30 minutes to replace once I had all working parts. I hope this helps!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:16 PM
kmulcahy

Thanks. I had no idea that I could try the repair. Thank goodness it's not raining this week while I figure out a cheap way to do this. My car has over 200K on it and I hate dropping a lot of $$$. I thought this would be too complicated.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
nczcar

Can you hear the motor running when you activate the switch to lift the window? Often, the inner hub driven by the motor separates from the rubber drive wheel. I have rebuilt two on my 95 Maxima with JB weld and working great after 4 years. It does not offer the "cushion" of the rubber, but beats spending mega $$$$$.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 AM
kmulcahy

Default Not a peep

The switch makes no sound whatsoever I finally had my mechanic check it out and he thinks it's the switch. I hope he's right but I still hate sinking money into this repair when I expect so many other things will be needed soon. If only the window was stuck shut....
Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 AM
1995 Maxima

my '95 maxima driver window just stopped rolling up with no warning. all other windows roll up and down from driver controls. I hear the motor and again, it does roll down. I am guess it's not the rails; i did not have to work with it except to push it up from the bottom of the window. Maybe the inner hub? is it likely a switch since it rolls down? many thanks.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

When you push switch to raise the window, do you hear the motor trying to raise it? If yes, then switch is OK - look for something mechanical. If no, switch could be bad. I believe you have to replace the whole driver's door switch assembly. Try JY first. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 AM
1995 Maxima

Yes, I do hear the motor running when the switch is in the UP position. The motor does roll the window down.
I peered inside and believe the rails to be OK. Additionally, when I push the window up, it stays up and there does not seem to be any binding etc. with the rails.
I'll take your advice and anothers' and look at the hub.
JY?
Many thanks, Joe
Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

JY = junkyard. Great source for parts like this.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM
1995 Maxima

Thanks for the JY clarification. I should've figured that one out.

Additional details: The car had been driven since I manually raised it. Family says it goes down about an inch per day. Is it likely that this will be fixed when the hub is repaired? Is it indicative of any other issue? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

My guess is yes; the window is probably slipping down due to the broken hub as the car vibrates while being driven. Good luck.

Tags
driver, electric window, window