Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Maxima SE 5 spd - P1706 code?! Forums > > 2001 Maxima SE 5 spd - P1706 code?! 2001 Maxima SE 5 spd - P1706 code?!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 AM
slidewayzm5

Exclamation 2001 Maxima SE 5 spd - P1706 code?!

I looked up the code - shows it should be a PNP code - (automatic only)

However when the car was scanned with a SnapOn scanner - it showed P1706 and suggested the car was running lean Bank 1 - said O2 sensor.

The symptoms of the car:

Starts right up - idles, then after about 10 seconds needs a small amount of throttle input or tries to die. Then after a few blips of the throttle to 'help' - it runs fine at idle (sometimes a lower idle)

However - the major symptom is when accelerating, the car pulls well, then hesitates (jerks twice) and burbles (almost no power) for 2-4 seconds, then accelerates again ( less power after the hesitation than normal. This usually happens anywhere from 2500rpm+, especially pronounced around 3000RPM+ on the highway in 5th gear.

The car had been throwing a 'vapor leak' code for some time in the past, on and off... but it is hard to track that down. I sanded the filler cap, and put a new gas cap on - didn't help.

Any ideas on where to start, and how to test what is the issue?
Thanks very much!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

The P1706 is for the PNP Switch and not for the O2 sensor.

The syptoms you describe are not caused by the PNP switch, it may be related to the O2 sensor, but I never seen a bad O2 sensor causing so many problems. Your problem sounds more like a bad air flow meter. I suggesting trying another scanner to get the code.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:41 AM
slidewayzm5

I agree. After the car was scanned, the check engine light has not come on yet, but the symptoms are definitely still there. Is there a way to test if the MAF has gone bad?
Thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 PM
slidewayzm5

After connecting a scanner... 3 of my 4 oxygen sensors were not switching/switching incredibly slow.. so I swapped out all 4 of them. Then the issue was still there.. after taking it in for diagnostics.. it had a bad Air Flow Meter.. so the MAF sensor and whole AFM unit had to be swapped out..

After it was all done, and ECU reprogrammed... it runs like a champ.

Tags
2001, code, maxima, p1706, spd