Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Fuel Filter Replacement in a 2001 Maxima Forums > > Fuel Filter Replacement in a 2001 Maxima Fuel Filter Replacement in a 2001 Maxima
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

2001 Nissan Maxima

Question Fuel Filter Replacement in a 2001 Maxima

I recently have gotten fancy and gotten an ELM OBDII interface to use with my laptop and free OBD software. I put it on my mom's Maxima to see if I could figure out a slight hesitation or maybe even half-second bog down before it thrusts forward on a pedal stomp. Its only got 52k miles on it.

The software showed (at idle) a lean mixture at full warm temp. Am I supposed to see Lean mixture at idle? or is this a clue that fuel filter is clogged?

This only happened once, but one time just after getting gas from nearly an empty tank we got on the road and gave the pedal a moderate stomp to get up to 55 on the state hwy and it nearly killed. Has not happened since then, but I really believe because this car is so wonderful and has no other problems that the fuel filter is clogging from sitting so much.

I look up the fuel filter procedures and I don't think the manual for it is on this web site's knowledge base and a lot of the service procedures say to let a tech do it and that its not supposed to have to be done.... well... BS. I know better.

So where is the fuel filter and is there anything special I have to know about replacing it?

What do ya'll think about it running Lean at idle with so few miles on it and no other engine troubles whatsoever?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Enthusiast

2000 Maxima

Fuel filter is in the gas tank with the fuel pump. The entire servie manual is available if you join the site. Really a bargin.

If you were running lean, you would get a code. I would probably replace the plugs.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast

2001 Nissan Maxima

Question

Yeah, there are no codes. Thanks though.

I thought the OEM plugs were supposed to be good for 100k miles?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

check you mass airflow sensor might be dirty
Old 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Enthusiast

2000 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcherrr View Post
Yeah, there are no codes. Thanks though.

I thought the OEM plugs were supposed to be good for 100k miles?
I changed mine at 60K. It was like getting a new car.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

2001 Nissan Maxima

Exclamation

Wow, I have the manual and getting to the plugs on this car is amazingly easy. Thats how easy it should be on all car's IMHO.

I've got some mass airflow cleaner too. Would be worth it to clean the element.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Try cleaning the mass air flow meter. The meter has a window of value that it can operate, give some drivability but no code. I do beleive the alpha ratio is from 90% - 115 % before it will trigger a code or if it stay in the min or max value for a certain amount of time. However in your case the alpha ratio maybe at 115 at that given time of hestitation. Have never replaced the sock/ filter in the maxs.

Tags
2001, filter, fuel, maxima, replacement