Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 idle stalls at start up; will idle ok if hit gas at start up??? Forums > > 2004 idle stalls at start up; will idle ok if hit gas at start up??? 2004 idle stalls at start up; will idle ok if hit gas at start up???
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 03-24-2009, 05:10 PM
richyrich

Default 2004 idle stalls at start up; will idle ok if hit gas at start up???

2004 maxima stalls after turning the key. It will not hold idle after letting go of the key. If I press the gas and blip the rpms after turning the car then it will idle perfectly at 700 rpms. Does not stall at any other time.

When turning the key normally (not pressing the gas) the rpms jump up as they should and then drop down to a low idle and then stalls. If I hit the gas before it stalls then it goes to perfect idle. This has me stumped. The only thing that was done recently was replace a bad battery. Please, help. Thanks.

Addition: After this post I: reset the idle; reset the throttle position; reset the pedal position; did the idle air volume learning and cleaned the mass air flow sensor with a spray I bought specifically made for cleaning the sensor.

Nothing worked. Any ideas anybody. Is there another sensor or part I should be checking. One other point. On the first start of the day (an engine cold start) the car start just fine. After driving around town and starting the engine back up is when it does this. I know when the engine is cold there is compensation for this. I notice the rpms hold at 1000 after starting and then drop down to a 700 idle in a few minutes. I know this and what controls this must have something to do with it. Guidance please.

Last edited by richyrich; 03-25-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

well it normal for it to start at high rpm and warm up and drop down, but 700 i think is a lil high. i wouldnt have suggested cleaning the MAF on this car since it may fail cause its real sesative. 1st thing i would before replacing any parts is to have it scanned to see what codes u get. autozone or advance auto can scan it for free. let us know what u find out

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 03-25-2009, 10:47 AM
richyrich

Thanks for the reply sergey. The service manual says A/T idle is 675 +/- 50. 700rpms is spot on.

I have a code reader. It came up with no codes.

Last edited by richyrich; 03-25-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 PM
richyrich

Well, I think I found it on my own. This was a weird one, especially with no codes to help.

Service Bulletin NTB04-063

Nissan has a bulletin out for a hard hot starting problem on the 3.5L V6 in the early 2004 Maxima and Quest, and 2003-’04 Altima models. The symptom it describes is an engine that starts OK cold, but is hard to start after it has been driven. The check engine light may or may not be on, and DTC codes P0340 (CMP sensor bank 1) and/or P0345 (CMP sensor bank 2) may be present. See Figure 5. In any event, Nissan says the fix is to replace one or both camshaft position sensors. The part number of the rear bank (bank 1) CMP sensor is 23731-65906, and the front bank (bank 2) CMP sensor is 23731-Al616. The CMP sensors are the same type as the CKP sensor, and also cost about $70 each.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Maxima

Default same problem

same problem here. I found that too. theres a voluntary recall on these sensors for almost all the 00-03 models. anyways, i got the first sensor changed today $117 Canadian dollars this crap co
st me: CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - BANK 1 23731-65906.

AND the first problem of the car stalling along the highway or almost anytime it pleased, is gone, for now.

but now everytime im starting the car, im having the same issue as you. its called a "hard to start warm" incident by the nissan ntb04-063. i guess i have to replace the other sensor too because they've stated: "for a hard to warm incident, replace both sensors, even if you have no codes or MIL light on". HURRRAY. another $105 for another sensor.

where can i get this sensor cheaper in canada, anyone know? Part #
23731-Al616.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich View Post
Well, I think I found it on my own. This was a weird one, especially with no codes to help.

Service Bulletin NTB04-063

Nissan has a bulletin out for a hard hot starting problem on the 3.5L V6 in the early 2004 Maxima and Quest, and 2003-’04 Altima models. The symptom it describes is an engine that starts OK cold, but is hard to start after it has been driven. The check engine light may or may not be on, and DTC codes P0340 (CMP sensor bank 1) and/or P0345 (CMP sensor bank 2) may be present. See Figure 5. In any event, Nissan says the fix is to replace one or both camshaft position sensors. The part number of the rear bank (bank 1) CMP sensor is 23731-65906, and the front bank (bank 2) CMP sensor is 23731-Al616. The CMP sensors are the same type as the CKP sensor, and also cost about $70 each.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by striderg3 View Post
same problem here. I found that too. theres a voluntary recall on these sensors for almost all the 00-03 models. anyways, i got the first sensor changed today $117 Canadian dollars this crap co
st me: CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - BANK 1 23731-65906.

AND the first problem of the car stalling along the highway or almost anytime it pleased, is gone, for now.

but now everytime im starting the car, im having the same issue as you. its called a "hard to start warm" incident by the nissan ntb04-063. i guess i have to replace the other sensor too because they've stated: "for a hard to warm incident, replace both sensors, even if you have no codes or MIL light on". HURRRAY. another $105 for another sensor.

where can i get this sensor cheaper in canada, anyone know? Part #
23731-Al616.
I don't know if you have NAPA in Canada but they have them for around $65.00 U.S.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:43 AM
2004 Maxima
1998 Maxima

Default I fixed my issue

I had low RPMs on my nissan maxima 04 to the point that I could not start it without giving it
gas or it would die out. Sometimes on a hard stop it would die at as well. These are the
things I did from the research I went through on the interent and my car runs great now.
This would also be good to try out for a P0420 code.

First

Clean out your MAF and throttle body.

Second
Check your breather hose that connects from valve cover bank 1 to 2 if its broken replace
it. (mine was) make sure its a tight fit if your using regular hose. (use hose clamps)

Third

I used Seafoam in the gas, oil and through the break hose vacuum.
When I did the break hose method (feeding Seafoam into the break hose vacuum and then letting
it sit for a while and then started the car and reved it up, LOTS of black smoke
came out of the pipes wich must mean I cleaned out a lot of nasty stuff. BTW I will be
repeating that process in a month.

Also the main hose that connects to my throttle bottle was a LITTLE loose so i tightened that
up.

Look all those things up on youtube and try it out. It made my car run a LOT better.

Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2016, 02:48 AM
2004 Maxima
1998 Maxima

I had low RPMs on my nissan maxima 04 to the point that I could not start it without giving it
gas or it would die out. Sometimes on a hard stop it would die at as well. These are the
things I did from the research I went through on the interent and my car runs great now.
This would also be good to try out for a P0420 code.

First

Clean out your MAF and throttle body.

Second
Check your breather hose that connects from valve cover bank 1 to 2 if its broken replace
it. (mine was) make sure its a tight fit if your using regular hose. (use hose clamps)

Third

I used Seafoam in the gas, oil and through the break hose vacuum.
When I did the break hose method (feeding Seafoam into the break hose vacuum and then letting
it sit for a while and then started the car and reved it up, LOTS of black smoke
came out of the pipes wich must mean I cleaned out a lot of nasty stuff. BTW I will be
repeating that process in a month.

Also the main hose that connects to my throttle bottle was a LITTLE loose so i tightened that
up.

Look all those things up on youtube and try it out. It made my car run a LOT better.

Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2016, 02:49 AM
2004 Maxima
1998 Maxima

so i posted this on two diff websites and it double posted? lmfao ok well i hope it helps

Tags
2004, gas, hit, idle, stalls, start