Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Transmission flush Forums > > Transmission flush Transmission flush
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
2005 Maxima

Default Transmission flush

My maxima 05 has 60K and was told to flush the transmission.
I researched about transmission flush and some says do it some says don't do it.
Many people recommand to drain my transmission fluid and fill with the new fluid.
I don't know what to do.
A mechanic checked the stick of transmission oil and it was dark.
What should I do?
Flush or drain?
Thank you.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 PM
2015 Rogue

Nissan says to drain and refill. I would suggest a flush on that trans.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:25 PM
2005 Maxima

If they perform the flush and screw up my transmission, would they be responsible for the repair?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:12 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynblue View Post
If they perform the flush and screw up my transmission, would they be responsible for the repair?
I would say yes they would be responsible.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:45 PM
2005 Maxima

Is it possible to have a test drive with a service manager to show that there is no problem on my transmission and have them state on my reciept?
And also stating that the dealer will be responsible for the repair if trouble occurs after the flush since nissan recommands drain and refill?
Thanks alot for your help.

p.s: by the way, i have not receiveced the package yet.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

you would have to talk to the dealer about that. if u are having a problem with your tranny its a chance this will not make it better.

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

dont do the drain. when you drain, your just taking out 4 to 5 quarts of tranny fluid and leaving another 6+ in the system. the new fluid will mix with old and by the time you hit 100,000 miles your fluid will be the color of cooking oil.

if you dont want the flush, then find a friend that can help you. google how to flush your trannsmision fluid.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Lakewood77

If I was you I would also go with the flush. As for being concerned about the repair shop "ruining your transmission" that will not have anything to do with flush or drain. If it's a reputable auto service shop I wouldn't worry to much about it. Monitor your transmission level/color weekly or monthly as part of your normal maintenance. Check the repair shop invoice for a guarantee statements on their repairs to see that they stand behind their work. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Divineofga

I recently purchased a 2005 Nissan Altima on 04/04/2009 from a Ford Dealership, it was a trade in to the dealership. I absolute love the card, I normally have drove Hondas. My first time driving a Nissan
This week I notice once I get to 20 – 35 mph I can feel it switching gears, like a jerk
I thought maybe I just needed to get use to driving a different car (different from the Hondas, I normally drive) I checked into it further out. I called the Nissan Dealership here, they test drove the car and determine it needed a transmission flush. I’m not sure what color the fluid was, the tech said it was pretty dirty and seems as though it was never flush. The mileage is 58893. Now that I read that Nissan recommends against the flush, I called the Nissan Dealership I took my car to, and they are saying it’s the first they have ever heard of that. As well they receive bulletins from Nissan all the time and they never received that bulletin. My question was that the right call to get it flush. Should you flush or just exchange the fluid. My second question is I still can feel the shifting of the gears at that speed is that normal. I’m trying to eliminate a problem before it becomes a problem for me financially. I haven’t made the first payment on the car yet. HELP ASAP!!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 PM
anthonyflame

I won't agree to flush as the transmission doesnt have filter they used the screen instead of filter. I have called to Nissan Corp. they replied dont flush the transmission. My friend had flushed the transmission on 60K and few month later the problems come out and need to change. Luckily his car was pre-own cert. the warranty is still valid otherwise he will spend 3-4k to fix.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 PM
oolatec

Do not flush. Drain and top off. That's all.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
big_trwsr

Be very careful with this... I have a 2005 that had 56K, that was under warranty, when we took it in to the dealership for service and a diagnosis with a transmission slipping. The dealership said I should have the fluid flushed and changed. It took 4 days before they finally could tell me to flush and change the fluid. Less then 6 months later I had to replace the transmission... unless you have $4500+ lying around some where I say you should get everything documented... and yes take a drive with the service manager!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:42 AM
wjlz

Default Can I replace some transmission fluid without flush?

Hi,

I have 1999 Altima at 87,000 Miles. A shop suggests to flush transmission fluid. I searched the web, someone says the fluid be good for 100,000 miles, some other says it should be changed.

Can I just take out of the old fluid from the reservoir and fill it with new fluid?
Maybe I need to do it again after one day driving. Or the third time? In this way, the fluid will not be 100% new, but would be much better? The fluid is not expensive. This way I use more fluid, but save a lot of work.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

The problem with a shop or dealership doing a trans flush is the great chance of cross contamination of different types of fluids that remains in the trans flush machine after each flush that is preformed.Most shops cannot afford a machine to do the many different types of fluid the now exsist on the market.Yes,Nissan has said not to flush and with that info you make the call.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:08 PM
kll

why do you want change oil? it can be dark colored, but are there residues inside? is it smelling like burned? if no, no need to change. if yes, you may already in need of a new clutch bands. my motto: if ain't broken do not fix it.

on my past pathfinder, it has really problematic on transmission. it was shuddering it was harsh on first gear change, stalling at cold etc. oil was dark colored and not clear. with some residue inside but not burned.mechanic fixed transmission, filled it with new ATF, i checked right after 1000 miles, it was dark again "without" residues. same look. problems returned after 3000 miles.

Tags
flush, transmission