Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Maxima Timing Chain Forums > > 2005 Maxima Timing Chain 2005 Maxima Timing Chain
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 01-06-2009, 06:16 PM

Default 2005 Maxima Timing Chain

I am interested in purchasing a certified preowned 2005 Maxima with 64k. It recently had the timing chain replaced. My own mechanic thinks that this might indicate engine problems. I saw the dealers service records and the previous owner was meticulous with scheduled maintenance including an oil change every 3k. Does anyone think the timing chain is a red flag?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

it could, some of maximas had noise problem due to the chain guides i think. i would do more looking around before setteling on this car. even if u have to drive a lil out of your way it might be worth it.

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 01-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Red flag...yes indeed.Chains can go well over 150,000 miles with no problems.Ask the dealer why the vehicle had this done and was it related to the timing chain noise bulletin.Do understand that there are more than one timing chain in this engine.Being meticulous and being taken advantage of are to different things.It could be the previous owner was taken to the cleaners or just didnt trust the repair work.We may never know.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:19 PM
CDFixer

I just had my 2005 in for a broken motor mount, and they recommended replacing the timing chain, as there is a bulletin about noise and the tech, said mine seemed a little noisy. I had never heard the noise but since the work was free (under warranty 45000 miles), it was done. since this is a service bulletin maybe there is was an issue with some of the chains or guides that have nothing to do with the way the car was maintained. It could be that one that has not had the chain replaced could be cause for expensive repairs sometime later.

I also had the oil changed at 3000 mile interavals.

Cheers Jim

Tags
2005, chain, maxima, timing