Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Ntb07-042   Vq Engine; Buzzing / Whining Noise Forums > > Ntb07-042   Vq Engine; Buzzing / Whining Noise Ntb07-042 Vq Engine; Buzzing / Whining Noise
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Latest Uploads Latest Knowledgebase Uploads

Old 07-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Default Ntb07-042 Vq Engine; Buzzing / Whining Noise

A new entry has been added to Knowledgebase

Description: VQ ENGINE; BUZZING / WHINING NOISE FROM TIMING CHAIN AREA
There is a buzzing / whining noise coming from one or both secondary timing chain /camshaft sprocket areas. The noise may increase with engine speed (RPM).

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit NTB07-042 VQ ENGINE; BUZZING / WHINING NOISE
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:24 AM
cooter32

Default 2006 Xterra Whining

I have the whining when reving or RPM's above 2K. First trip to the dealer they said the cooling system needed to be bled. Of course this did not fix the problem. I saw this post and mentioned it to my dealer service rep. and he asked me to print it out and bring the truck in. They now acknowledged the sound and are going to perform the stated repairs in the service bulletin. They say my truck is the third such repair they have done. Now I'm just waiting for the parts to come in. I will post a follow up after repairs.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter32 View Post
I have the whining when reving or RPM's above 2K. First trip to the dealer they said the cooling system needed to be bled. Of course this did not fix the problem. I saw this post and mentioned it to my dealer service rep. and he asked me to print it out and bring the truck in. They now acknowledged the sound and are going to perform the stated repairs in the service bulletin. They say my truck is the third such repair they have done. Now I'm just waiting for the parts to come in. I will post a follow up after repairs.
Outstanding! Hey, with the money you just saved - just think, you would be able to download your entire Service Manual if you were a Subscriber! :D

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 09-23-2007, 04:25 AM
jeff024

I have a 06 frontier and these repairs were done on my truck 2 times after the 2nd nissan put a new motor in my truck
Old 10-04-2007, 08:55 AM
magman

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
A new entry has been added to Knowledgebase

Description: VQ ENGINE; BUZZING / WHINING NOISE FROM TIMING CHAIN AREA
There is a buzzing / whining noise coming from one or both secondary timing chain /camshaft sprocket areas. The noise may increase with engine speed (RPM).

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit NTB07-042 VQ ENGINE; BUZZING / WHINING NOISE
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.
I have a simialr noise currently and brought it into my dealer and they have the nerve of telling me its a normal sound. Now I am not sure if it is the same noise, but it almost sounds like a vaccum cleaner. He then told me it had something to do with "sand" but that it was Normal.

Last edited by magman; 10-04-2007 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Add
Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 AM
magman

Default Maybe same thing.....

I have a simialr noise currently and brought it into my dealer and they have the nerve of telling me its a normal sound. Now I am not sure if it is the same noise or sympton, but it almost sounds like a vaccum cleaner/winding noise. He then told me it had something to do with "sand" but that it was Normal and it couldn't be fixed. If it was normal it would have been there when I bought the Pathfinder brand new in 05.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:30 AM
jeff024

If its normal theres other trucks just like yours on the lot tell them to take you for a drive in a few and see how normal it is ,I bet you wont hear it on a new truck .If its normal then it should make the noise from the factory
Old 11-16-2007, 05:29 AM
cooter32

The parts finally came in and they've had my truck since Wednesday. It should be done this afternoon. So we'll see if that fixes it. The noise is most definitely not normal so do not accept that answer. I have delt with Nissan Corporate customer service and they were not helpful at all. If need be go to another dealership.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 AM
cooter32

Oh by the way. If you do a search on you tube for "xterra engine noise" somebody has submitted a video clip of it.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:05 PM
cooter32

The repairs have been completed and I must say that it runs and sounds perfect, The whining noise is completely gone. My dealership did this repair after I downloaded and presented them with the service bulletin on this website. The service rep. told me that it was a $1500 repair so get it done befor your warranty goes out.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
My dealership did this repair after I downloaded and presented them with the service bulletin on this website.
I'm glad to know the information in the site help you resolve the problem.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:36 AM

03/05 murano/pathfinder

I've just discovered the same issue in my 05 pathfinder. I appreciate how everyone has articulated the issue, to help me confirm what it was (especially the youtube post).

Can anyone advise on whether this may be under 5/60 power train warranty or the general 3/36? I'm just under 50K miles and I'd like to get an idea of what to expect before I meet with the dealer. I see claims information on the service bulletin for Primary Failed Part and hope this equates to warranty work.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:55 AM
jeff024

its covered I was over my 36k when they replaced my motor for this problem I think I was at 43k
Old 02-10-2008, 06:35 PM

03/05 murano/pathfinder

so far so good. I brought it in for diagnosis on friday, and it's being covered. parts on order.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by zego25 View Post
so far so good. I brought it in for diagnosis on friday, and it's being covered. parts on order.
Excellent, thanks for letting us know.

Tags
buzzing, engine, noise, ntb, whining