Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
All Models, All Years 2014 370Z Coupe 2014 370Z Coupe Nismo 2014 370Z Roadster 2013 Altima Coupe 2014 Altima Sedan 2014 Armada 2014 Cube 2014 Frontier Crew 2014 Frontier King 2014 GT-R 2014 JUKE 2014 JUKE NISMO 2013 Leaf 2014 Maxima
2014 Murano 2013 CrossCabriolet 2013 NV Cargo 2013 NV Passenger 2013 NV200 2014 Pathfinder 2014 Pathfinder Hybrid 2014 Quest 2014 Rogue 2014 Sentra 2014 Titan Crew 2014 Titan King 2014 Versa Note 2014 Versa Sedan 2014 Xterra Concept Models
MyNissan Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Tech Challenge Game Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms Cost Estimator More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts Ultimate Reflector Auto Sun Shades Custom Fit Car Covers Auto Snow Shades Berber Auto Mats Coco Auto Mats Designer Auto Mats Diamond Plate Auto Mats Fashion Auto Mats Flexomats Auto Mats Hexomats Auto Mats
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Forums Nissanhelp.com Knowledgebase Latest Uploads Ntb07-042 Vq Engine; Buzzing / Whining Noise
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Latest Uploads Latest Knowledgebase Uploads

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 01:21 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Xterra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavisiv View Post
My 2005 Frontier with 76K miles began making the same noise. Dealer quoted $1800.00 to repair, which included replacing the primary timing chain, tensioners, guides, water pump, etc. while they were in there. Called Nissan Good Will Line (1-800-Nissan1) and will have the word as far as assistance on the repair by 5:00 tomorrow. I believe they know this is an obvious design flaw and should hopefully provide some assistance. Nissans are unfortunately not the quality vehicles they used to be. After 2 defective crankshaft position sensors (which left me on the side of the road), a defective fuel sending unit and now this, I believe my Nissan days are over. I will update when my "ruling" from Nissan is in. Good luck.......
Update: Nissan NA came through on the parts with a decision in <24 hrs.(including extra timing parts and water pump not covered in the TSB), I had to pay for the labor. The dealership showed me the defective part(s). Apparently the nylon tensioner was cast improperly resulting in a hollow center rather than a solid piece. The chain would wear down to the hollow portion and then begin grinding on the metal "rivet" which attached the nylon to the metal. That’s where the noise is coming from. The problem is now fixed. Dealership was great as they gave me a loaner to drive and had it fixed in two days. Don't look for a recall. Apparently Nissan for the most part only issues those when there is a safety issue. Phone call saved me over $800, so it was worth it.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:57 AM
2007 Xterra
2005 Altima

Default check oil filter

My 2007 had a whining sound. We took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it was an after market oil filter. They changed the filter, whining was gone and none since.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Altima

Just bought a 2004 Altima 3.5 with 18,500 miles on it. Of course with that low mileage it's super quiet, but I see in the Service Bulletin that it's listed as possibly affected. I see the 2002 and 2003 3.5L V6 Altimas were not on the bulletin’s list.

So what's the cause of the tensioner problem? Was it a redesign or was it inferior materials or manufacturing that causes this problem? Seems like not every car in the affected list will experience the issue.

My 2004 was built in Oct 2003, so maybe it's possible that it has the better parts used in the 2002 and 2003 model years?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:26 PM
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Altima

We just had the timing chain in our 05' Altima fixed under warranty. We also own a 05' Pathfinder and the timing chain is now going out on it! Unfortunately, it is no longer under warranty. How were you able to get Nissan to pay for part of the bill? Can you advise how much they paid? Any tips? You have inspired us to fight for Nissan to help pay for this repair.

BTW - Do not let your Nissan dealer convince you that they can "fix" the noise by draining the oil and performing a chemical flush. It does not work! Do not fall for it.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:52 AM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Xterra

Default Timing Issue

I explained the issue to Nissan and gave them a history of my excellent Nissan ownership over the years. They asked for a compilation of my service records, which I did not have as I do all of my maintenance. I had to be somewhat hard nosed regarding Nissan's apparent declining reliability as my truck has had two crankshaft sensors and a fuel sending unit replaced before the timing chain issue. They know there is a problem and will more than likely offer assistance. My dealer was also very helpful in getting the parts paid for as they were doing two - three replacements per week. Nissan foot the parts bill to the tune of approximately $800. I had to pay only labor which was $1200. Just be respectfully firm and don't be afraid to ask for someone up the ladder if you are not satisfied. Keep your records of the repair just in case Nissan decides to call in the affected vehicles for free repairs. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM
2005 Maxima
2004 Titan Crew Cab

Default NTB's

I am having the NTB07-042 (timing belt ---tensioner) problem with a 2005 Max. This is the 2nd one in 63,000 miles. (first one at 30K) The dealership is giving me some flack over this. how do these NTBs apply to the dealerships. Are they identifing a known faulty part or are these simply maintenance guidelines for them to follow. I guess I'm asking if I can take this to the service department and get any farther pleading my case. Thanks for any assistance in the fight against the dealership highway robbery.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
2006 Frontier

Thumbs down 06 Frontier w timing chain problem

Nissan is not covering any of the cost on mine, 65k is too soon to have a replace a timing chain. My next car will be a Jeep.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 AM
2006 Pathfinder

This information has been very helpful. I have this problem on an '06 Pathfinder with 90,000 miles. The problem started about two months back and was initially diagnosed as the torque converter, then the transmission. The noise did not stop after replacing the original t'mission with a used one. The dealer put the original one back in at no cost and told me about the timing chain issue. They quoted me $2,700 to do the work, parts and labor. I'll definitely call Nissan Consumer Affairs to see if they will help with the costs.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 AM

2006 Frontier

Well its been awhile since my motor was replaced 43000 miles and the truck now has 78k on it and the new motor has the same problem all over again.Once the trucks at the dealer Nissan will decide if its the same and who gets to pay,as much as I love this truck I dont think I will buy a nissan again I want to drive something thats worry free for atleast 100k.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 AM
2004 Quest

Default why only 042 quest?

My tensioner and guides just failed on our 04 quest v028 model how is this different from the 042? 6000k out of warrenty

Just to follow up>>>> nissan took over 2- 1/2 week to tell me they would not cover the repair. the new tensioner is different design than the old ones (pre 2007) I went to my trusted mechanic and he said it should last longer than the origional ones. Also his bill came to $1400. $600 bucks less than the dealer quote for the same work. I can say I am very disssapointed in the Nissan help on this one especially with all the bad experiences I have read about the cheap plastic tensioners. Nissan has no way except by mail to appeal past the 1800nissan number, they wont give you a copy of any records they have on your case to send along, I asked. I wont be back.

I had a similar experience with a jeep wrangler that leaked water from almost day one. the front cowl cracked away from the wind sheild assembly, during the "repair" the dealer tore the gasket sealing the folding windsheild. I delt with this dealer over 30 separate visits over 5 years to resolve this problem. I wasn't until I went to a body shop to replace the rusted assembly where the copius amount of silicon they put every where to stop the leak they couldn't find, had rusted and eaten away the paint. That they found the 12 dollar gasket was torn and was the source of all the leaks after the initial repair the dealer made and also assured me they checked the gasket on several occasions. I had everything doccumented from the inital body shop repair for the cracked cowl to the final independant body shop, submitted everything and appealed even to people in corperate and got zip!!

Last edited by adamsfam9494; 05-15-2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 PM

2005 Maxima

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima that had the whining noise. The dealer performed the secondary timing chain replacement at 55,000 miles and was covered under the warranty. Unfortunately after about 12,000 miles, the car is making the whining noise again at higher RPMs.

It is no longer under warranty but the service guy said since it was fixed before, Nissan would likely fix it again even though it is out of the power train warranty. My question is if I do not have it fixed, does it affect the performance of the car or it's durability? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Xterra

Default Timing Chain Whine

According to my dealership, it will only get worse and possibly lead to the affected chain to jump timing which could destroy your engine from valves coming in contact with a piston(s). Wouldn't let it go too far.............
Old 05-16-2009, 04:24 PM
2007 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! glad to find this thread. 07 frontier with 44k a couple months ago i noticed this whining on acceleration. kinda sounded like the engine was sucking air at first , now it worse and sounds exactly like the youtube video of the guy with the red frontier. It does it all the time with acceleration weather in park or moving! I saw the TSB. how does one know if they have the VQ40 engine? what is VQ? i'm sure i have the 4.0 v/6... Thanks nate
Old 05-16-2009, 05:57 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Xterra

Th 40 in the VQ40 model means 4.0 litre, so you have it..........
Old 05-25-2009, 10:20 AM

2005 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavisiv View Post
According to my dealership, it will only get worse and possibly lead to the affected chain to jump timing which could destroy your engine from valves coming in contact with a piston(s). Wouldn't let it go too far.............
OK. But my problem is that the car has 67,000+ miles on it. They performed the secondary timing chaing replacement about 12,000 miles ago when the car was still under the manufacturer's power train warranty.

Since it is past the 60,000 mile mark, do you think the manufacturer would replace the or do the repair again if it is the same problem or related? It sounds like the identical problem and the service rep said when they initially performed the work if it were to happen again Nissan would most likely cover the work.

What do you guys think?