Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
NTB09-040 Forums > > NTB09-040 NTB09-040
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Latest Uploads Latest Knowledgebase Uploads

Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Default NTB09-040

A new entry has been added to Knowledgebase

Description: ALL NISSAN MODELS; NEW BLUE NISSAN LONG LIFE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT
Beginning in calendar year 2009 some Nissan vehicles are filled at the factory with a NEW Genuine Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (LLC) that is blue in color.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit NTB09-040
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Robert Perkins

So I wonder when the new super blue coolant will be available to purchase over the counter from Nissan or in the Nissan dealership service department. My new 2009 Could use a slight top off as it came new from factory. Hate to put the green in with the blue.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

You can just add a water to top it off.

BTW did you read the note and caution on the bulletin:

NOTE: Adding green LLC to blue LLC reduces the life of the blue LLC from 10 years or 135,000 miles to 4 years or 60,000 miles.

CAUTION: You must always mix LLC with demineralized or distilled water otherwise the life of blue or green LLC will be degraded and cooling system damage may occur.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Robert Perkins

Default Super Blue coolant

The coolant level in the recovery bottle of my 2009 Altima 3.5 SE is approximately half way in between min and max and was that way since new. My wifes 2009 Altima 2.5 S is level with max on the bottle. Neither one really seems to change any from hot to cold. I just wanted to top off with more of the blue mix. Two Nissan dealer parts departments were unaware of the change to the blue. I think I will just wait until the blue becomes available to have it topped off. One dealer service department said they would have to use the green to top it off now as the blue is as of yet unavailable on the dealer level.
Sure would like to know a forecast date when the blue will be available at the dealer level.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
One dealer service department said they would have to use the green to top it off now as the blue is as of yet unavailable on the dealer level.
They should read the bulletins before doing any suggestions. The bulletin clearly said not to mix both.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Robert Perkins

This “blue” LLC is designed to have a longer service interval of 10 years or 135,000 miles.At this time vehicles that are equipped with the blue LLC still have a RecommendedMaintenance Interval for coolant of 4 years or 60,000 miles.The new blue LLC is not yet available from the Nissan Chemicals Program.The green-colored Nissan LLC P/N 999MP-AF000P is backwards-compatible with the blueLLC and can be used to “top-up” cooling systems filled with the blue LLC.NOTE: Adding green LLC to blue LLC reduces the life of the blue LLC from 10 years or135,000 miles to 4 years or 60,000 miles

I still want to use the blue since my vehicles came with it. If the assembly line in Smyrna, Tennessee can get it a dealer should be able to.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Gino45

Default Blue coolant

My 09 SL was built in August so I guess that I have the blue coolant. Just like Robert, my coolant level is right in the middle of the min max level. I guess I won't ask for a top up since I don't want the dealer mixing green coolant with blue. Since the blue coolant is good for 10yrs and the green is good for 4yrs, why does the owners manual suggest changing the coolant after 2yrs or 48,000km?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
why does the owners manual suggest changing the coolant after 2yrs or 48,000km?
Good question, it's probably just a miscommunication between the production department and the owners manual department.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM

2005 350Z

I have a 2005 350Z. I noticed this bulletin is only listed under 2009, 2010 and 2011 Z cars. Why isn't it listed under earlier models? Is the new blue coolant only for use on the later model cars? If it's for use on all model years, it should be so listed.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Why isn't it listed under earlier models? Is the new blue coolant only for use on the later model cars?
As far as I know the blue coolant is just for the late models, 2009 and up. I have contacted the dealer and they will find out if you can use the blue coolant on the earlier models as well. From the impression I got from them it looks like you can, but it's not for sure.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:18 PM

2005 350Z

I suspect the new blue coolant will become the only coolant available from Nissan dealers as supplies of the older green coolant are exhausted. Dealers will not want to keep two kinds of coolant on the shelves. The Service Bulletin doesn't say it applies only to 2009 and later models, nor does it prohibit using the new coolant in pre-2009 models; it simply states when the new coolant was introduced in production vehicles. Since the bulletin allows new and old coolant to be mixed, the bulletin should apply to all vehicles and all model years listed under the Service Bulletin link.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:33 AM

2005 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
As far as I know the blue coolant is just for the late models, 2009 and up. I have contacted the dealer and they will find out if you can use the blue coolant on the earlier models as well. From the impression I got from them it looks like you can, but it's not for sure.
Any new word on which model years are actually affected by this NTB?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 AM

2005 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Since NissanTech is apparently unable to get a final answer, I went to two Nissan dealerships to ask my question. Both gave me the same answer. The new blue LLC is a direct replacement for the old green fluid. You can mix blue and green in any Nissan, but you need to stick to the green fluid replacement intervals. If you do a complete flush and replace, you can use the blue fluid in any Nissan and get the benefits of the longer service life. The NTB in question should be listed under ALL Nissan vehicles listed under the "Knowledgebase > Service Bulletins" link at the top of the page.

Tags
ntb