Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Drive Train Slack, Then Jerk on takeoff Forums > > Drive Train Slack, Then Jerk on takeoff Drive Train Slack, Then Jerk on takeoff
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Default Drive Train Slack, Then Jerk on takeoff

2013 SVV6 AT 2wd Frontier 3500 miles

Symptom; Takeing off from a Stop Light, etc; Seem's like Slack being taken up, and then Jerk, as the Truck begin's to move forward.

I've researched several forum's and on this forum,, this Thread came up and it appears to be the same as mine:

drive train bump

http://www.nissanfrontier.org/forum_...?TID=1609&PN=7

^^^3rd Post^^^

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...lop+drivetrain

^^^Posts 13 & 14^^^

I noticed this from the First Test Drive,, and was going to bring up at the 2nd Test Drive,, but couldn't get the Truck to exibit symptom at that time.

So it's intermittent in nature.

I crawled under the Truck to take a look and could see what they were talking about; Slideing Yoke that connect's the Front and Rear Drive Shaft.

One person advised to disconnect the rear drive shaft from the rear transaxle, and then to work the Yoke back and forth useing the rear driveshaft to get more grease on the Yoke Spline's.

After I looked at the yoke,, it seemed to me that the purpose was to compensate for the Rear End moveing up and down, ie load and road.

So I bounced on the rear of the bed a few time's,, and so far I haven't noticed the jerk again. I can still feel the slack being taken up,, but it's pretty smooth now.

Is there a Service Bulletin on this or a Recall? Is this something that is covered in the DriveTrain Warranty to Lubricate the Yoke Spline's?

I've never dropped a DriveShaft,, and don't know if I'll have a problem doing this or not.

I'm thinking of just loading up the bed with some heavy material,, like concrete block's and go for a short drive.

After doing the research,, I'm pretty sure that it's the Yoke that was sticking cause of lack of grease on the Spline's,, but can't be 100% sure. The 5 speed transmission shift's good and smooth,, and gas mileage is as good or better than a '93 4cyl hardbody KC, that I drove for 20 year's prior to the '13 Frontier.

Any Advice? Thought's?

Last edited by JRJoe; 10-21-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:14 PM
1996 Maxima
2006 Frontier

Default slack bump fix

I have (had) the same problem with my 2006 Frontier. I smeared moly-grease over the rubber-dipped splines of the center drive bearing yoke and the problem was solved. Took me about 8 months to find this!! But I now have new engine mounts (one was broken), and got to try 3 different transmissions from Transmission Authority in the process.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:43 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.L View Post
I have (had) the same problem with my 2006 Frontier. I smeared moly-grease over the rubber-dipped splines of the center drive bearing yoke and the problem was solved. Took me about 8 months to find this!! But I now have new engine mounts (one was broken), and got to try 3 different transmissions from Transmission Authority in the process.
Hello Mr L,

Well I finally got mine figured out. Only took me 4 year's though. :)

Mine came from the Factory with Low ATF level. I told the Dealership that I bought my '13 from, about the slack/jerk, but they told me that it was normal. I asked the Service Manager how to check the ATF Level. He told me to drive it a little and then check it, but the only way to check it after driveing is with an OBD II Scanner that will display the ATF Temperature, useing the Hot Range. Useing the Hot Range the ATF has to be checked when the Fluid temperature is at 149F Degree's. Well I don't have a Scanner or reader that will display ATF Temperature.

I thought the Service Manager's method was correct,, cause that is the way it was supposed to be checked on the '93 Hardbody AT that I had for 20 year's.

So I reread the Service Manual,, and it say's that the ATF can be checked useing the Cold range before driveing by letting the engine idle till the Water Temperature Gauge get's up to normal operateing temperature, then shifting through all the gear's, and then checking the ATF DipStick. Useing this method only work's if the ATF hasn't been bypassed the Radiator,, as the Radiator is used to warm the ATF up.

Once I used the Cold range I could see that the ATF Fluid was below the Low mark on the cold Range. I added enough ATF to bring it up to the Low Mark, and could see after driveing that the Slack was almost gone. So I rechecked the Fluid level again after the Truck had sat overnight,, and added 4oz to bring the ATF Level in the Cold Range to exactly 1/2 way between the Low and Full Mark. That eliminated the Slack on Takeoff.

So the Slack was caused from a too low level of the ATF. I guess when it is too low,, the Tork converter doesn't stay engaged at a stop,, and when I gave it gas,, then the Tork Converter engaged,, causeing the Slack and Jerk on takeoff.

I reported this to Nissan consumer Affair's,, as I think that there are several Frontier's comeing from the Factory with Too Low ATF Level's. They should issue a Technical Service Bulletin about this,, but I don't know if they will or not.

I've read about other Frontier and Titan owner's installing helper Spring's,, thinking that the Slack/Jerk was Axle Wrap. And then other's have taken the Drive shaft apart to grease the Center Bearing Slip Yoke.

Apparently,, either the Service Department's don't know how to check the ATF Level, Don't have the time to use the correct method,, or just accept that the Factory Filled the Transmission with the correct amount of ATF,, and don't bother.

I don't know,, but I'm glad that I was able to get it figured out. I'm imbarrassed to say that it only took me 4 year's to get this figured out,, but I've done a Drain and Fill, and the Fluid looked Clean,, and Smelled Sweet. So I know it didn't do it any good, but I'm hopeing that the Transmission isn't damaged. It's shifting good,, and averageing 20.4 mpg,, so I'm hopeful that mine is ok. I don't drive much now,, and don't have quiet 11K mile's on mine and those have been easy mile's, so I think that is in my favor, I Hope.

I really feel for the owner's that have high mileage and have been pulling heavy load's,, as low ATF sure hasn't done their Truck's any good.

Hope You and Your's have a Great Christmas.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:44 PM
1996 Maxima
2006 Frontier

Default more on slack

Interesting how sensitive you've discovered the transmission to be to fluid level. That may be the cause of another minor issue I'm having with a slight hesitation to shift into D or R when cold. That said, the other issue was not so much a slack/jerk on takeoff as described by the initial post, but more of a small jerk shortly after acceleration already began. The transmission was working fine as the small jerk comes after the truck begins accelerating. It is similar to, but much more subtle than, a broken engine mount (driver's side) or a small rotation of the rear axle on acceleration. The problem was definitely the center yoke of the driveshaft needing grease. (I was also told by a knowledgeable service manager that it was "normal". Hate it when they say that!)

My truck, which I've had about 1.5 years, has 144,000 mi. The transmission was damaged by the infamous radiator/heat-exchanger issue common to the 2005-2008 Frontiers. I installed a rebuilt from Transmission Authority from Rock Auto. The first and second transmissions they sent me were bad, but the third one seems fine, so far. The company is not very good at rebuilding transmissions, but they do stand behind their products with quite attentive customer service afterwards. So far they've paid in warranty claims more than I paid them for the transmission. Not a very good business model!
Old 12-19-2017, 06:03 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Mr L,

Glad that you've got good service from Rock Auto. I've heard good thing's about them, but I haven't had ocasion to buy from them yet.

Yes for sure I was amazed as well about the narrow range ATF level for proper functioning of the AT, and also amazed that there is only 8oz between the low mark and full mark on the Dip Stick. Maybe they figure better to under fill them, than to over fill them. I don't know the answer,, just glad that I got it figured out.

By the way, if you are partial to Nissan Oil Filter's,, I've been able to get them on amazon or ebay at a lower price than the local dealer.

You are doing good with 144K mile's,, so I hope you'll be able to get good service out of your Frontier from here on out.

Nissan Service department's get so many petty gripe's,, that may play a role in them giveing the standard reply, "That's Normal", without spending extra time to check thing's out properly.

Mine also came with low coolant from the Factory; Original Dealer didn't correct,, and then Transfered to Selling Dealer and they also didn't correct the low Coolant in the Radiator.

Nissan should put out a Technical Service Bulletin for those haveing Slack/Jerk on takeoff to check for low ATF level,, but probly won't because of liability for transmission's.

Recently read about an owner with a '15 Frontier haveing Slack/Jerk on takeoff,, so I guess the low ATF Level isn't just for the 2013's.

This is my 2nd Nissan Truck, and had good service out of my 1st and hope the same for this one as well.

Anyway,, thank's for posting Mr L,, and between the both of us,, I'm sure it will help other's with their Frontier's and maybe even some Titan's.

Waiting on Santa to make his yearly run,
Happy Holiday's,

Tags
drive, jerk, slack, takeoff, train