Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Tapping noise when cold Forums > > Tapping noise when cold Tapping noise when cold
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 AM
clucas000

Default Tapping noise when cold

I have a 2006 nismo, when I start driving on a cold engine it makes a tapping noise that gets louder under acceleration. It is completly gone after about a minuite of run time. Am not sure if this is a lifter noise or possibly an exhaust issue. anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-13-2008, 04:22 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Without listening to the engine it is impossible to say just what the engine noise maybe.There has been some issues with the timing chain componates.Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.One thing you might check is are you using a nissian oil filter? This is not a dum question but a common reason for some engine noises in nissans.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:08 AM
clucas000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech22 View Post
Without listening to the engine it is impossible to say just what the engine noise maybe.There has been some issues with the timing chain componates.Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.One thing you might check is are you using a nissian oil filter? This is not a dum question but a common reason for some engine noises in nissans.
How can that be?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:25 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clucas000 View Post
How can that be?
Some of the aftermarket filters do not allow the oil to flow through the same as the nissan filter. I have run into several vehicles that have come into the shop for noises and a majority of them are solved by changing the oil and replacing the filter with a nissan filter. I have heard ticking and also buzzing noise created by aftermarket filters. Valvoline filters are the absolute worst.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:33 PM
clucas000

Thanks for the info, I guess running 10-40 oil is a bad idea also.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:19 AM
Master Enthusiast
05 nissan frontier

You should use what the owners manual stated and change your oil atleast every 3500 miles.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Boomer

Yes. Use 5W-30 or a syn 0W-30 in the winter especially. Good filters outside of Nissan are Purolator Pure 1 and Wix/NAPA Gold (same filter). Don't try to save a few cents on a cheap filter or oil. Biggest mistake you can make with a vehicle!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

Default taping noice

take a 3 foot long hose and place one end on top of the spark plug electronic module...... and the other end to your ear, if you hear a thum thump thump that means that spark plug is loose. you should not hear any odd thump thump.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by clucas000 View Post
Thanks for the info, I guess running 10-40 oil is a bad idea also.
manual recommends 5w30 i just looked it up

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 12-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Master Enthusiast
05 nissan frontier

I am not sure if Nissan corrected the issue with the Rattle noise comming from th VAIS systen or not in 06 but there is a TSB for that.If the oil/filter change does'nt help then i would take it to the dealer and have them take a look at it.Don't say anything about what kind of filter you have been using as this might effect any warrenty issues should that arise.

Last edited by tech22; 12-27-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2006 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech22 View Post
Don't say anything about what kind of filter you have been using as this might effect any warrenty issues should that arise.
I don't think warrenty work can be denied because you did not use a nissan filter.

The last two nissan trucks I owned (88,93), I put 385,000 miles and 405,000 miles. I used nothing but fram filters and castrol GTX oil 10W40. Never did any other engine work except one water pump. Brakes and tires thats it.

Tags
cold, noise, tapping