Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
P1444 & P0300 codes on 99 Nissan Frontier 3.3 HELP Forums > > P1444 & P0300 codes on 99 Nissan Frontier 3.3 HELP P1444 & P0300 codes on 99 Nissan Frontier 3.3 HELP
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast
1999 Frontier King Cab
1999 Sentra

Default P1444 & P0300 codes on 99 Nissan Frontier 3.3 HELP

I just changed my clutch, flywheel, distributor, and adjusted timing. I also just did all the regular maintenance that is required every 30,000 miles for my Frontier. The check engine light was on before the work was done, and it is still on.

Please help me take care of these codes. I found in the search where someone had cleared the 1444 code by changing a charcoal canister that failed on their 98 Pathfinder, but I read another thread where a guy with an Altima replaced the canister and could not clear the code.

The random cylinder misfire 0300 code did not appear immediately after I changed the spark plugs and spark plug wires at 100,000 miles 4 months ago, so I don't think the spark plugs are the issue. What else could be the cause of this code? Where to start?

I was having a problem with a misfire, but the truck seems to be running better since the timing was adjusted. The timing was not off though. Is my new timing adjustment masking my misfire?

Last edited by terceslil; 10-31-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Please help me take care of these codes. I found in the search where someone had cleared the 1444 code by changing a charcoal canister that failed on their 98 Pathfinder, but I read another thread where a guy with an Altima replaced the canister and could not clear the code.
That's why you have to inspect the the canister before replacing it. The P1444 is for the purge volume control valve and not for the canister, but if the canister is damage, charcoal from the canister can get stuck in the valve. Remove the canister and check if charcoal comes out. If it does, replaced the canister and clean the system. Here is a bulletin with instructions how to clean it: Knowledgebase - 1999 Frontier - Nissanhelp.com

You should also to download the the "Engine Control" section of the service manual for more information. You can download the section free from here: Knowledgebase - 1998 Frontier - Nissanhelp.com

Quote:
The random cylinder misfire 0300 code did appear immediate after I changed the spark plugs and spark plug wires at 100,000 miles 4 months ago, so I don't think the spark plugs are the issue. What else could be the cause of this code? Where to start?
If the the code appear right after you replaced the spark plugs and wires, it means that the spark plugs or cables are damage or not properly installed.
Remove and inspect the tips of the plugs and check the wires installation. Did you used OEM plugs and wires?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast
1999 Frontier King Cab
1999 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post

If the the code appear right after you replaced the spark plugs and wires, it means that the spark plugs or cables are damage or not properly installed.
Remove and inspect the tips of the plugs and check the wires installation. Did you used OEM plugs and wires?
Thanks so much for all your help, but I am sorry to have mis-stated myself. I meant to say that the code did not appear right after I changed the plugs and plug wires.

It was over a month after I tuned the truck before the check engine light came on, so it hardly seemed relative to the plugs and plug wires.

No, I did not use OEM plugs & wires.

Last edited by terceslil; 10-28-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Enthusiast
1999 Frontier King Cab
1999 Sentra

Yesterday, the "check engine soon" light started blinking when I stopped at read lights. I tried to count how many times the light blinked. I think I counted 8 or 9 flashes, then the light stopped blinking and then stayed on. Does this mean anything?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast
1999 Frontier King Cab
1999 Sentra

Just checked and found that I replaced the OEM spark plugs (NGK FR5AP10) with NGK BKR5E-11 V-Power 6953. Is this enough to get the random cylinder misfire 0300? Where can I get the OEM spark plug wires other than the dealership? I happened to find the NGK FR5AP10 on Amazon. I figure this is a pretty good start for trying to clear the 0300.

Last edited by terceslil; 10-29-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast
1999 Frontier King Cab
1999 Sentra

Is the Prestolite an OEM spark plug wire? That is what the dealership put on my truck when I brought it in for the tune-up at 100,000 miles.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast
1999 Frontier King Cab
1999 Sentra

I read on the nicoclub that "A flashing MIL indicates that catylist damage is ocurring."

Has anyone here found this to be true?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I'm not sure about the Prestolite, it should say Nissan.

Quote:
I figure this is a pretty good start for trying to clear the 0300
Yes it is, and if it's possible, add a fuel injector cleaner to the tank to clean the fuel injectors.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

ngk platnium is what nissan uses from what i read.

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast
1999 Frontier King Cab
1999 Sentra

Interesting. I thought that when you paid for a tune up at a Nissan dealership that you were supposed to get Nissan parts. So, I guess I need to find out what spark plug wires are actually OEM for my truck since I can't go by what the dealership put on it. Do you think I should just try the OEM spark plugs to see if that clears the 0300? Or do you think I really need the OEM spark plug wires to clear the 0300?

Last edited by terceslil; 10-29-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

well im sure its ngk they probably dont say that it probably says nissan but its ngk. certain car makers have a certain sparks they use like audi uses bosch and i think toyota is denso etc. u got the right sparks NGK.com - Application Search Results never experienced with v power but it should be alright. im sure autozone or napa stock the plugs. so the code u getting now is p0300 a random misfire. i would check the wires make sure they are connected well and no exposed wires. also sometime clogged injectors can cause this try running some fuel system cleaner like techron w/premium fuel and use it a few time see if that will change it.

Last edited by sergey85; 10-29-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast
1999 Frontier King Cab
1999 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergey85 View Post
also sometime clogged injectors can cause this try running some fuel system cleaner like techron w/premium fuel and use it a few time see if that will change it.

Well I just cleaned the fuel injectors. I checked all the plug wire connections. I thought the OEM plugs were the FR5AP10 since the dealership put those in. They are already ordered from Amazon anyway, so I figure I'll give them a try. If that doesn't clear the code, I don't know where to go next. :(
Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast
1999 Frontier King Cab
1999 Sentra

I found this post when I searched the forums for other solutions for my P0300 code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Cleaning the EGR passages is a good start and you should measure the resistance of the injectors as well. There is also a bulletin for the P0300-P0306 codes. The problem describe in the bulletin is very common. I’m not sure how did you cleaned the injectors, but you should consider doing with the stuff the factory recommend, it is very effective.

You can find the bulletin in the 2001 Frontier bulletin list: Knowledgebase - 2001 Frontier - Nissanhelp.com

Keyword Filter: "P0300"
The stuff the factory recommended in the service bulletin is 3M Universal Fuel Injector cleaner. Seems that you don't have to go to Nissan to get it.

Also, I learned that the purge volume control valve is not a $400 part like I had first read on the internet. Courtesy Nissan has it for $113.17. I will probably just go get one to see if it clears my code.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast
1999 Frontier King Cab
1999 Sentra

I changed the purge volume control valve, the sensor on the charcoal canister, and the charcoal canister. I also found that the rubber hoses going to the charcoal canister were split. Now, the P1444 has not reared its ugly head since. Now, I am working on P0300.

I have changed the distributor, spark plug wires, and cleaned the fuel injectors. I changed the valve cover gasket. I will be pulling the spark plugs to see what they look like.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:34 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Be carfull of the left rear plug. It is sooo very easy to damage when you remove/install.I have seen many a vehicle that the plug wasn't even changed or was damaged.

Tags
codes, frontier, nissan, p0300, p1444