Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
heli-coil Forums > > heli-coil heli-coil
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 PM
2002 Frontier Crew Cab
1988 Sentra

Default heli-coil

Hi,
I was changing the spark plugs and wires on my, 2002 Frontier,VG33E, this weekend, it was all going fine until I put in the new #4 spark plug. The plug turned up to the cylinder but didn't tighten up, just kept turning. I think I need to get a Heli-coil repair kit and tap new threads for the coil so I can put the plug back in.
My questions are (1) am I right in assuming this is the best way to fix the problem? and (2) is this a repair a non professional mechanic should try?
Any advise will be helpful and appreciated
P
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

1. Yes
2. No

Did you were able to remove the spark plug and look inside the hole? are the threads still there?

The location of the spark plug makes the repair complicated and time consuming.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:32 AM
2002 Frontier Crew Cab
1988 Sentra

Yes I have taken the old plug out. I have disconnected the air intake duct and moved it to the side, and taken the hood off for better access. Its hard to see into the hole even with the flash light. Will the plug hole and old threads pretty much guide the heli tap or are they difficult to use.
P
Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast
2000 Frontier Crew Cab

The Heli-coil should come in a kit with a drill bit , tap , install tool , and coils. YOu will need to carefully and slowly drill out the old threads, Make sure you have sticky grease on in the flutes of the bit to catch the shavings and clean often to keep the shavings out of the combustion chamber. Then do the same thing with the tap . Bits of aluminum in the valves are not good. A bit of warning when machining aluminum it is very important to go SLOW and take a small of a cut as possible it will come out in chunks if you try to push it too hard. When tapping the hole turn the tap in about 1/8 of a turn and back it up 1/2 of a turn to break the shavings loose, keep working this way until you get to the bottom of the hole. This process makes cleaner threads that are easier to seal. Lastly when you install the insert(coil) use a good sealing thread lock compound Loctite makes several different mixtures for different applications, watch the heat range on them as well. then when the coil is in and you install the plug be sure to use an anti-seize lube on the threads of the plug so when it comes time to remove the plug it won't bring the coil with it.

Tags
helicoil, helicoil for spark plug