Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Common problems??? Forums > > Common problems??? Common problems???
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast
1990 Maxima

Default Common problems???

Just got a 1999 Frontier. 4cly, 5 speed, 2WD.
Just what I've been looking for.
It's got 109000mi, but is in good condition.
Rust on the roof, but I've not seen one without a repair in that area.
No noise from the timing chain.
What, if any, are some of the common problems these trucks have?????
I've owned Toyota trucks, but I've always liked Nissans more.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:11 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I really don't remember any issues with that year/engine of the Frontier that I would consider "common." I believe there were some high pressure A/C hoses that developed cracks, but I believe they were corrected. I would go to Nissan's site and check to see if there are any open recalls. They were pretty reliable, on the whole, and they didn't exactly "re-invent the wheel," so to speak, when they went from the Hardbody to Frontier.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:00 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
Just what I've been looking for.
Rust on the roof, but I've not seen one without a repair in that area.
No noise from the timing chain.
I've owned Toyota trucks, but I've always liked Nissans more.
If it's got the 2.4L engine, I had that engine in the '93 Hardbody that I drove since new for 20 year's. In all those year's I used 10w40 Castrol GTX, but use the Weight Oil that is appropriate for Temperature in your Area. Mine had AT and 2WD. At 174K mile's the water pump started leaking and I took it to Nissan for a New Install.

Early in the Warranty Coverage, the Radiator started leaking. Replaced Radiator under warranty.

Every 30K mile's I had the Front Wheel Bearing's Repacked. Your's may be sealed though and don't need to do that.

Every 30K mile's I changed out the Rear Axle Oil.

I asked the Nissan Master Tech about the Timeing Chain. He said, it's normal to make a little rattleing sound on startup, but when the Rattleing Sound become's continous,, then it's time to get it or Guide's, etc. replaced. I talked with the Nissan Mechanic that changed out the Water Pump,, and he was driveing a Hardbody with the same engine that had 250K mile's and he was still on his original timeing chain. On the 2.4 Harbody's, it was a Rattleling Sound. On the 2.5L I don't know if it is a Whineing sound or Rattleing sound. On the 4.0L I've read that it is a Whineing sound when maintenance is needed.

My advice is read the Owner's Manual,, and keep it Oiled and Greased per recommendation's. If you don't know for sure if a Particular Maintenance has been done, do it now, with the correct type and weight, according to the Owner's Manual.

When you change out the coolant, the 2.4L that I had,, had a Plug to remove,, that get's the air out,, when putting the new coolant in. It's easy to remove. When you're are pouring in the New Coolant, when you see coolant running out the little hole, stop pouring and screw the plug back in, then finish filling the Radiator and Reservoir. That Air Release Plug is very important to prevent a Heat Spike that can occur when air is still in the system, being purged out.

For me the 2.4L was a really good engine

Good Luck
Old 05-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

1999's 2.4L is the KA24DE, the twin-cam version of the KA24E. Same engine family, but a much different engine. They didn't have the chain issues like the earlier, single cam engines. Wheel bearings are still cone bearings; they didn't get to the sealed bearing hubs until 2005.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
1999's 2.4L is the KA24DE, the twin-cam version of the KA24E. Same engine family, but a much different engine. They didn't have the chain issues like the earlier, single cam engines. Wheel bearings are still cone bearings; they didn't get to the sealed bearing hubs until 2005.
Thanks SMJ,

Lot's of Change's in the Truck Engine's since the '93 Hardbody 2.4L that I had. If I hadn't needed more Towing Capacity, I might have just kept that '93 and put money into it, to keep in Tip Top condition. It was a good Truck and Good engine for me though.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast
1990 Maxima

Thanks guys.
I'm going to change out all the fluids.
Check if it needs a tune-up.
Check the brakes.
It ran great on the road test.
No rattles. Lots of power for a 4cly.
Insurance card should be here in a few days.
Two problems I see...
Kayak rack needs to be removed.Holes for the mount need to be patched.
Rust on the roof in some kind of channel. See lots of them with rust there.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:38 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
In 2004 I bought a 1998 Frontier with same set up as that with 100K on it so the kids would have a vehicle to drive to school and work, and to force them to learn to drive stick shift. After my youngest needed 4WD about 5 years ago and bought a '98 Pathfinder, she returned the truck to us, now has 218K on it and I drive it all the time, even drive it out of town regularly.

Over that time it's just needed some regular repair items, which I've done: radiator, starter, alternator, water pump, fan clutch, batteries, and clutch kit (mechanic-done). The AC has been great, but about 6 years I did add 6 oz. R134a and tested pressures; no other issues with that (Arizona, gets used a lot).

Quote:
I'm going to change out all the fluids.
Check if it needs a tune-up.
Check the brakes.
I recommend ALL the above on ANY used vehicle I get, unless I've got written receipts that say it had been recently done.

I also have a 2004 Frontier with same set up (98K), great trucks.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:09 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Rear brakes almost never wear out on these trucks! I still got the original rear shoes on my 208,000 mile Frontier.

Tags
common, problems