Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Camshaft Position Sensor Location Forums > > Camshaft Position Sensor Location Camshaft Position Sensor Location
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Dave_L

Default Camshaft Position Sensor Location

Good afternoon, hope all are staying cool! I know this has probably posted a few times, and yes, I looked at various documents, the service manual, the engine manual.
Unfortunately, the engine manual shows an exploded view, (which is good) but sadly, no orientation as it relates to the front or rear of the engine block. On said document, there's the numbers depicting which is which, I.E. Item 18 is Position Sensor, Item 17 is Position Sensor. (Example only.) That's nice.
Since there's a lot of interconnections, hoses, wiring, and the general EPA compliant items under the hood, it's rather interesting to attempt to locate these two sensors without spending a huge amount of time sweating one backside cheek off. (I miss having my 1968 Ford Mustang...at least I could see what I was working on.)
Any ideas or suggestions as to the location of these (Picture would help)? Dealership repair is not a good idea for me financially, and I do apologise for the "War and Peace" post.
Thank you in advance...
Dave
Old 07-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Unfortunately I don't have a picture with of the sensor just an illustration from the service manual, but is really hard to take a picture to sensor because the sensor are on the back of the engine cylider heads, between the engine and the firewall, just below the valve covers. I highlighted the sensors yellow and the valve covers dark grey. I hope that helps.

Camshaft Position Sensor Location-image04-gif
Old 07-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Dave_L

The picture is excellent! The description as to where these sensors are located are even better. I walked to the dealership today prior to checking in here and got similar (without color and it's nowhere near as good as your posted one). It does help quite a bit. Only thing is this: going to have to develop a second wrist as these seem to be in a rather tight spot.
Thank you for your picture, it will definitely help this old dude.
Dave
Old 07-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Dave_L

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a picture with of the sensor just an illustration from the service manual, but is really hard to take a picture to sensor because the sensor are on the back of the engine cylider heads, between the engine and the firewall, just below the valve covers. I highlighted the sensors yellow and the valve covers dark grey. I hope that helps.

Attachment 2621
OK, finally finished the job. (Not smart to push too quick in 105 degree heat in a parking lot..) To reiterate, thank you again for the picture; it helped immensely. One other thing to note to those that don't have access to a garage or cannot afford dealer work: take off the cover over the "intake manifold" first. The (looking at the sensors from the front of the engine block) left rear is a bear to get to with that cover on. (DOH!)
And a magnetic pickup tool is a good idea to have as well...(sheepish grin). Now, to clear the error condition. Might as well break down and buy one of the digital interfaces for this vehicle. Going to be keeping it for a long while.
Thanks again...
Dave
Old 07-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I'm glad the image was able to help you locate the sensor, and thanks for the advice and update.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Hello, I am trying to locate the Crankshaft Position Sensor on the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Can anyone help me?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Refer to the pic in post #2. It's the same on all VQ40DE equipped Pathfinders, Xterras and Frontiers.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM
2005 Pathfinder

I think that illustration is for the Camshaft sensor. I am trying to locate the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 AM
2007 Frontier Crew Cab

Hubby just finished replacing the camshaft position sensor in my 2007 Frontier, and I asked him if he had any advice for those of you facing the same task. He removed the intake manifold cover (plastic thing on the top of the engine w the Nissan logo on it). Then, he found it easier to access the sensor by reaching in from the driver side of the engine (even tho the bank 1 sensor is on the passenger side of the engine). He removed the little bolt holding it in (10 mm metric wrench) and pulled the sensor out, then removed the plug from it. As noted above, that plug is kind of a *****. The whole thing took less than an hour, start to finish, thanks to the guidance we found on this thread! :)
Old 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro View Post
Hello, I am trying to locate the Crankshaft Position Sensor on the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Can anyone help me?

Sorry for the late response. If you still need it- the Crankshaft sensor:

For the VQ40DE engine:
The crankshaft position sensor (POS) is located on the oil pan facing the gear teeth (cogs) of the signal plate. It detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution.
The sensor consists of a permanent magnet and Hall IC.

For the QR25DE engine:
The crankshaft position sensor (POS) is located on the cylinder block rear housing facing the gear teeth (cogs) of the signal plate at the end of the crankshaft. It detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution.
The sensor consists of a permanent magnet and Hall IC.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:56 AM
2007 Xterra

so that illustration. ... are we looking at that illustration from FACING the front of the Xterra, or from the bckside???

I assume the illustration is from front facing the truck because the angled sensor is on the left side (passenger).

STILL it is not very clear. like, the dark grey things are "angled" to the side in the illustration, but nothing like that matches up in my wifes truck..so

hopefully someone can help orient me and save some time
Old 06-10-2015, 12:30 PM
2008 Frontier King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post

Attachment 2621
Thanks for the diagram! It was a big help! I replaced my sensor today (bank 2) and it worked! The engine idle is MUCH smoother as well!

Rob

Tags
camshaft, location, position, sensor