Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 stereo speaker problem Forums > > 2003 stereo speaker problem 2003 stereo speaker problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 AM
vegasj

Question 2003 stereo speaker problem

i have 2003 frontier extended cab 4 cylinder. when i bought the car it was abused. i will not go into but the stock stereo only had the passenger door speaker working. i bought a pioneer stereo yesterday with the stereo plugs and installed it not cutting any wires. i was hoping there was a stereo short. nope still only passenger speaker working. now im thinking amplifier? does it have an amplifer? wire connection plug loose somewhere? any help greatly appriciated. ty john

Last edited by vegasj; 05-13-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

Did you take your driver's side door panel out and see if the speaker is even connected? I don't believe it has a amplifier unless the po installed one.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 AM
vegasj

Default speakers

i have not checked the connection to the speakers. i assummed they r connected because the tweeters r not working either so that would make at least 3 speakers not working . not sure if there r two more in the back. there r grates by the jumpseats in the back. looking in them i can see the seat belt . r these speakers? what size speakers? ty john
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

You may have a wire or wires cut or disconnected somewhere.I would remove the drivers side door panel and see first if it's connected and then check for a signal from the radio.Your speakers might be shot also.

I can't help you with the back speakers cause I have a crew cab but if you see the seat belt in the grill I would guess there is no speaker in it.Maybe someone may chime in with the same model or you can google it.Good luck and let me know what you find.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 AM
Mattathesis

Be advised that you may want to double check if the door speakers impedence is compatible with your amp or head unit. Especially if only one speaker is working or hooked up. I mention this because each of the stock door speakers that were in my 04' had an impedence of only 2 ohms. I guess Nissan chose to use 2 ohm speakers as a way to make the stock radios play louder without having to upgrade to an amp or stereo that produced more watts at the 4 ohm standard. If your amp or head unit is not stable into 2 ohm loads it will probably be damaged. Since very few head units and some amps can handle impedences down to 2 ohms, it's worth taking the time to
find out what impedence the OEM speakers are that are in your truck.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:15 AM
vegasj

Default ohms

thanks i will look at the ohms when i take a look at the wires and speakers. i appriciated the info. it would suck to buy a new stereo just for it to crap. then no speakers may work . lol sincerely john
Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Mattathesis

Glad to help. Not sure this matters to you, but one of the first things I would do, which would remove any doubt about the wiring or connections, is to not use the stock wiring. The wire they use has got to be stranded in 18 or 22 gauge wire. Easily broken as well as inadequate for accurate sound reproduction and dampening. You don't need to buy the overly rated expensive speaker wire. Just a quality multi-stranded copper wire in 14 to 16 gauge.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:28 AM
vegasj

Default amplifer?

i was taking the door panels off the car and noticed a unit on the transmission hump. is this an amplifer. it has mec04-500 b1 3162 on driver side. many wires on harnes with 10m bolt on left side. ty john
Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM
vegasj

Default wire cut blown speaker

the left speaker was cut and subsequently blown. i took off tweeter covers but they where not cut up top. so maybe there cut downlow somewhere. also the door speakers r 2 ohm ty. any suggestions should i try to use exsiting factory wiring or just rewire the whole thing. thanks for all your help. also any suggestions on what kind of tweeters i should use. probably the tweeters r 2ohm also cant tell writing faded.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Mattathesis

The box you are referring to is the airbag and seatbelt tensioner computer. Use extreme caution when working around or near it. If you need to run wires or other stuff by it, be sure to disconnect the battery or it could trip the tensioners or airbags to fire. Yes, the tweeters are also 2 ohm. If you wire them in series with 4 ohm door speakers both speakers will have a combined impedence of 6 ohms which is safe for your amp or head unit. However, the higher the impedence the lower the power output of the amp. Most car audio equip is rated and designed around impedences of 4 ohms nominal. So, if you like your music to play loud then having 6 ohms per channel will lower your systems output and thus not play as loud as 4 ohms per channel. To keep things simple I would replace the OEM setup with seperates that utilize active crossovers. Although, with an active crossover speaker impedence doesn't matter since the amp only see's the impedence of the crossover and not the speakers.So, using the existing tweeters remains an option.

Tags
2003, problem, speaker, stereo