Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 frontier cutting off-P0500? Forums > > 2004 frontier cutting off-P0500? 2004 frontier cutting off-P0500?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 PM
danbsass

Default 2004 frontier cutting off-P0500?

I have a crazy problem with a 2004 2.4l automatic frontier 75k miles-
after driving several miles the engine feels like it shuts off- I get a BBBRRR from the motor when I try to press the gas pedal , I can slow down to anout 40 and I can feather the gas, almost like a bad fuel filter ( first thing I changed) the vehicle jerks/bucks. Stop and let it sit -I can get a few more miles from it.
at that time I can shift into netural and the engine will rev fine, the guages all are working fine. It is giving me a P0500 (VSS) code , but I removed the VSS and it tested fine. and the speedometer and tac never stop working.
I've changed the fuel filter, cap , button, wires and plugs-changed the fuel in the tank to fresh fuel
how would a P0500 shut off the motor, and I can't decide if it is fuel or electrical
someone has to have seen this before
Old 01-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

It is a crazy problem and I have not had that problem before, but it does sound like a fuel problem. I once had a vehicle with similar symptoms, no power on hard acceleration, and the problem was a fuel pump. I connected a fuel pressure gauge and notice the fuel pressure drop under load.

Have you done any maintenance or repairs lately?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

It sounds like you have the same problem as me.Your truck starts to buck at about 40mph and about 2k on your tach ? I believe it's a short between the speedo and tach.I have tried a new vss and removed my panel thinking it was a loose connection.Also checked my wiring for open wires and found none.There is a member on here that is having the same problem and is buying a new instrument panel from ebay to see if it finally resolves our problem.There is a thread about it going on now.Follow my posts and you will
find it.just a few posts below yours....Good luck.

For now when the problem returns you can put in neutral,rev it up a little and
that will keep you going till the next time.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 AM
lancemanyan

Plaino 04 Xterra. Auto. 133K miles.

I have this same problem. Every morning on the first drive of the day. Everything works OK until it shifts into drive. At 2000 rpm it starts to buck and tack jumps back and fourth. It won't let me go over 2000 rpm. Shift to neutral, rev up to 3000 then back in drive and it's fine. I get code P0500 also. I have read about this problem but have yet to see if anyone figured it out for sure. My cruise control is also intermittant. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Speedo and tack have never failed. I have read that it could be a problem in the cluster.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 AM
inked281

Could it be a PCM issue? I've heard on other makes that this code can mean an issue with the PCM. I'm not sure about it shutting off. Is it only when you are at idle or when you put it in gear or both?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Mattathesis

VSS stands for Vehicle Speed Sensor. A faulty one might confuse the hell out the ECM. Just for curiousity sake test the Throttle Position Sensor. Look for the change in resistance to be smooth and not jump around when opening and closing of the throttle. While your there check the connector at the distrib. Since two of you have discribed the same condition and also have the P0500 DTC, I would do a thorough investgation of the VSS as well as it's harness and connections from the sensor to the ECM.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

I have replaced my vss and checked all connections for open wires.I also took out the instrument cluster and bent back the pins thinking it was a bad connection between
the vss and cluster.

I read about a unified meter that shorts out between the speed and tach.This was for a 2005 and not sure if it applies to ours or not.If you know or heard something about
this I'd like to clarify it.

I believe it's a isolated problem in the cluster but waiting on another member to purchase a good used one to test.There is a thread started by a member called
Camaro about this same problem.I have posted all the different things I tried and read
about.I used to bang on the dash and the problem would go away.now I rev it neutral
a bit and works just as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
2004 Frontier King Cab

Default 2004 Frontier P0500 cutting out

we are having a similar problem on our 2004 frontier. anybody get a satisfactory answer?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

Have you figured it out yet? I found mine to be bad solder points on the dash
electrical board. looking at the dash, the connector on your right. resoldered and fixed the problem.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 AM
2004 Frontier

Hey guys, drod, its been awhile. I did fix this problem on my truck by purchasing a new instrument cluster. total cost for part was 200 dollars and that includes them programming your mileage into the new cluster. they charged $25 for that and the part was $159. So all together with tax and all around $200. I tried all kinds of other fixes before finally giving in to getting a new cluster. It works perfect now.
Its a pretty simple fix for such a PIA problem. If you want more info let me know and Ill do what i can to help.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

Hey man! Glad you took care of it...I was able to fix mine at the back plug
(facing the cluster right side) by soldering the pins on the back of the board.
turns out they had small cracks on 2 pins so I just went ahead and soldered all. Never had a problem again.

$200 is pretty cheap considering the cost of other trucks I seen. Where did you pick it up at?

Tags
2004, cutting, frontier, offp0500