Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control Forums > > Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 PM
2008 Frontier Crew Cab
2009 Rogue

Default Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control

Hello all ..I am a "NEW" member here so hope I have things correct .
2008 Frontier 4wd Crewcab. I have purchased the electric brake sub harness and the 7 pin wiring harness from the Nissan dealer ... Very little instructions in the packages . I presently have the 4 pin trailer harness installed .Question ...Do I need to pull the passenger side panel off to change or add relays for the 7 pin harness? Parts man at dealership was unsure and technicians were unavailable at the time .
Also the electrical brake sub harness ... I assume it is connected under the dash ....I see only one empty connector on the truck ....can I also assume that that is where it goes ? The brake controller is Accu trac 80510 by tekonsha ...On their website they indicate NOT to hook up wires by matching colour.....they give a cross reference chart ... from OEM harness to their controller harness ....any one have problems with this matching ?
Is it recommended to disconnect the battery cable while doing these hook ups ??
Thank in advance ....much appreciated and am sure this will be a regular site that i come to ...Love the Frontier

Marvie
Old 08-30-2010, 02:40 AM
2015 Rogue

The wiring and relays in the passenger kick panel should be the same for either harness. Just install the rear portion. When you get done just check to make sure you have 12 volts at the pin in the connector. If you don't you should just need to install a relay in the existing harness in the kick panel. The brake controller plugs in under the dash. There should only be one connector that it can plug into. Be sure to follow the diagram supplied with the brake controller to wire it to the nissan plug. The colors are not always the same. There is no need to disconnect the battery.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
2008 Frontier Crew Cab
2009 Rogue

Thumbs up

Thanks mpe235.. just wanted to verify my thoughts ...
Old 07-28-2012, 08:51 PM
2012 Pathfinder

Default 2012 Pathfinder 12v not at pin connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
The wiring and relays in the passenger kick panel should be the same for either harness. Just install the rear portion. When you get done just check to make sure you have 12 volts at the pin in the connector. If you don't you should just need to install a relay in the existing harness in the kick panel. The brake controller plugs in under the dash. There should only be one connector that it can plug into. Be sure to follow the diagram supplied with the brake controller to wire it to the nissan plug. The colors are not always the same. There is no need to disconnect the battery.
There is no power to my 12v pin in the connector. Is there a needed relay for the '12 Pathfinder? The trailer brakes work fine, but no 12 v.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:31 AM
2006 Pathfinder
2006 Pathfinder

Under the hood there is a small black box that contains three holes. one labeled trailer 1, trailer 2, and coolant pump. trailer 2 needs a relay plugged into it to have 12volt power to the rear of your vehicle. Read this post. I put some different instructions on the end of the post but there are some part numbers for your local automotive store that might be of some help financially.

Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder
Old 08-12-2012, 05:05 PM
2012 Pathfinder

That is the answer I needed. I guess I just go to the parts department and get the relay and hopefully, I'm good to go. I saw clearly where it is marked "trailer 2" as you said. Thanks again, Ken
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 PM
2012 Pathfinder

I got the brown relay from the parts department today and plugged it in Trailer #2; and as you said, the 12v is now hot. My previous vehicle used a 10 gauge wire and the harness wire seems pretty small. I wonder what that 12v wire actually handles. Is it enough to activate the brakes if the breakaway engages? Is it enough to maintain the trailer battery charge level? Thanks again for solving my problem!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
2006 Pathfinder
2006 Pathfinder

No problem man. The brakes engage on the breakaway by using the power from the battery on your trailer. It wont matter about the 12 volt supply line coming from your vehicle at that point.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
2012 Pathfinder

Does the 12v line maintain battery level in the trailer? I understand that it absolutely will not charge the battery, right? Ken
Old 08-16-2012, 06:07 PM
2006 Pathfinder
2006 Pathfinder

Wont charge it much due to the low amperage but should maintain it while towing. Go to harbor freight tools and pick you up one of those seven to ten dollar battery trickle chargers or battery tenders. Just leave it on or put it on a timer.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

Great info from AB1748.
I just wanted to chime in a state my 05 KC Frontier LE does not have the same fuses under the dash and the relay box up in the engine compt also looks different than the photo's shown. There was also two brown and 1 blue relay in it already from the factory.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg2002 View Post
Great info from AB1748.
I just wanted to chime in a state my 05 KC Frontier LE does not have the same fuses under the dash and the relay box up in the engine compt also looks different than the photo's shown. There was also two brown and 1 blue relay in it already from the factory.
On the frontiers the relays are in the passenger side kick panel, not under the hood.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
On the frontiers the relays are in the passenger side kick panel, not under the hood.

Yep that was kinda my point as there is a difference between the Frontier and the Pathfinder. Although I have two relays up in the under-hood panel they're not the tow relays.

My 2005 FSM shows the relays under the hood but it calls out two different connector numbers for the same relays. E227 & E228 in the wiring diagram for the tow relays vs E140 & E148.

we both know the E227 and 228 relays are the ones installed by the "kit" in the wiring in the r/h kick-panel and I have no clue where the E140 and 148 relays are and at this point assume this is a typo.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg2002 View Post
Yep that was kinda my point as there is a difference between the Frontier and the Pathfinder. Although I have two relays up in the under-hood panel they're not the tow relays.

My 2005 FSM shows the relays under the hood but it calls out two different connector numbers for the same relays. E227 & E228 in the wiring diagram for the tow relays vs E140 & E148.

we both know the E227 and 228 relays are the ones installed by the "kit" in the wiring in the r/h kick-panel and I have no clue where the E140 and 148 relays are and at this point assume this is a typo.
I think the manual is wrong. They show the diagrams for the pathfinder in the xterra manual. The xterra and frontier have the same set up.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 PM
2012 Pathfinder

When I was trying to figure this out, a Nissan technician (aka mechanic par excellence) pointed out that relay is under the hood on the 2012 (after not finding it behind the kick panel).

Tags
brake, control, electric, harness, install, pin, trailer