Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
ac clutch slipping? Forums > > ac clutch slipping? ac clutch slipping?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 08-16-2010, 05:19 PM
1998 Frontier King Cab

Default ac clutch slipping?

hey, so my ac clutch is slipping. if i hit the ac button the idle comes up, the clutch pulls in, but it only gets like half a turn and it just slips, doesnt keep a hold of the pulley. i tested, there is 12 volts coming through the harness to the thermocoupler at the compressor, and since the clutch kicks in i assume the thermocouple is still saying all is good, keep spinning, because the clutch is still in. the trouble is, it slips, doesnt grab enough to HOLD the clutch and spin normally. so, i have been combing the internet, trying to find a place that i can buy another clutch, and so far i have come up empty. also, im wondering if i took the clutch off if i can somehow clean things up to make it grip again? the thing hasnt been running in awhile (the ac i mean) so is it perhaps something that some cycling on and off will eventually break it in to grip again? or is perhaps the coil not engergizing ENOUGH to pull the clutch in hard enough?
thanks for the help!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Is the compressor locked-up?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 AM
2010 Frontier Crew Cab
2014 Rogue
2004 Frontier XE

Default AC Clutch slipping

Measure the gap in the clutch when it it not engaged. (engine not running of course). If it measures more than 0.030", than the gap it too wide. It should be less than 0.015". If the clutch face plate can be removed, there may be small shims that can be removed to reduce the gap.
This is the case on compressors on Volvos and is the cause of many AC problems and unnecessary compressor replacements.

Tags
clutch, slipping